Just don't understand people I guess - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Default Just don't understand people I guess

Saw a post from a fellow penturner. Health issues were going to have him sell out and stop his hobby. Lots of people advised him to hand in - I told her I'd send him blanks and kits to keep him going for awhile.
Sent out the kits and blanks and they are now for sale online by same individual.
Really makes you wonder, and unfortunately, I'll probably think twice before helping again. Damn, I didn't want to feel this way :-(

suefox51 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Sue, You gave freely as you felt moved to do so. I know this isn’t the expected outcome and it stings. It would have been nice if they didn’t want then to simply send them back and say thanks or donate them to a worthy cause.
No one has control over what someone else chooses to do. I hope after the sting wears off, you can let it go.

A similar example was that I carved spoons for family members for Christmas. Some we saw in January at a get together. We gave a spoon to the wife and expecting she and or her husband to open it. Instead, she gave it to their 3 year old to open and then the girl was running around with the nicely carved and sanded spoon.....not what we expected.
My wife said....let it go.....their choice.
My thought is that the kid needs to learn that every present is not for her and that mom and dad can receive and open gifts too.
Oh well....
Old 02-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Well there may be a positive side as the health issues may be burdening them finacially and your kits and blanks may be helping them out.
bsshog40 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

That would leave a bad taste in my mouth too BUT, also if you choose to give something to someone, It's theirs to do whatever they want with it, So it is a lesson learned I guess.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Had a couple when I was in seminary who were having some financial problems. The wife and I gave them a small amount to help. Next week they called and wanted to go out to eat! As for the fellow in question, maybe selling the pens will help with medical bills and medication.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
Had a couple when I was in seminary who were having some financial problems. The wife and I gave them a small amount to help. Next week they called and wanted to go out to eat!
I would consider this as a gesture of thankfulness and appreciation. I personally, am uncomfortable when someone offers to help me in any situation, especially financially. My problems, aren't someone else's problems, and shouldn't become a burden to them.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 10

I gave a Jet mini-lathe to a young fellow found on IAP, he posted once or twice, but I have no idea whether or not he is using the lathe or not.

I felt the way you do, but I figured I did my part to pass along a good fortune.

Feel good that you did your part, God will take care of the rest! ;)
MDWine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suefox51 View Post
Saw a post from a fellow penturner. Health issues were going to have him sell out and stop his hobby. Lots of people advised him to hand in - I told her I'd send him blanks and kits to keep him going for awhile.
Sent out the kits and blanks and they are now for sale online by same individual.
Really makes you wonder, and unfortunately, I'll probably think twice before helping again. Damn, I didn't want to feel this way :-(
May they get stuck in traffic with stomach cramps. Feel good about doing your part. Stay guarded from now on. I do. Next time someone wants to sell out...let them. If they need help there are ways. The key word is Honestly. I'll always do my best to help if they are honest about what is happening. Giving is one thing...being suckered is another.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool professional pool cue repair lathe

Last edited by WriteON; 02-11-2019 at 08:58 AM.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Sue; "The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. " This quote is mis-attributed to Mother Teresa, but it is true.
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

“Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.” —Elizabeth Bibesco
Logged on members can hide ads