Just Curious

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I know many times here topics get brought up here and after hashing things for a time they drift off to cyberspace and that is to be expected.

But was wondering what ever happened to this idea

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/new-forums-new-tags-135317/

Also it was brought up to start a Bereavement forum and maybe this is where you could also list injuries and or hospital visits.

I could not find the link to that thread. Did any more thinking go into this???

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I stalled out because there wasn't a clear "best way".

Some like subforums because they feel it provides better organization.
Some like tags because they see everything and can ignore some tags.
Some feel subforums further divide the community into little boxes.
Forum Runner doesn't allow sorting of tags, so it's of limited use there.

I am from the "file folder" era (so my young employees tell me.) I like to have things in places where they belong. But I also realize the unnecessary aspect of that when things can be sorted.

This didn't seem like enough of a burning issue to make a change, so I've been just sitting on the idea. I suppose I could do one thing (tags) or the other (subforums) and see what works.

jttheclockman

Thanks Jeff

I too like organization and I thought subforums would be more standardized to what we have already. No hunting through threads and all you need to know is the topic you are looking for. Just my thought as I mentioned this when it first came up. No one else seems to be clammering for it so no rush. I was just curious.

Maybe a combination of both:biggrin:

Last edited:

Skie_M

Hmmm ... finding it difficult to find a thread where someone was complaining about some brittle blanks from PSI's new supplier (red and white striped blanks) where they talk about how their old supplier had better quality and didn't chip and blow out nearly as bad.

I suppose if people were to properly use the tag system it would make things like that easier to find, but if nobody knows about it, there's not a whole lot of purpose in having it around.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
In an effort to move off dead center on this, I've created a thread tag set for the Blank Making forum. We can always add forums if a particular tag gets so much use it deserves its own subforum. A couple posters discovered the prefixes and used them.

So far I have:

Segmenting
Casting
Stabilization
Chem Milling
Poly Clay

What other ones should we include?

You'll find the thread tag drop down immediately to the left of the thread title when you create a new thread.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I know many times here topics get brought up here and after hashing things for a time they drift off to cyberspace and that is to be expected.

But was wondering what ever happened to this idea

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/new-forums-new-tags-135317/

Also it was brought up to start a Bereavement forum and maybe this is where you could also list injuries and or hospital visits.

I could not find the link to that thread. Did any more thinking go into this???

Thanks

John - I vaguely recall discussion of a bereavement forum, but I don't remember what happened to the idea. I think casual conversation is ok for that, but if there was demand, we could create a forum. Feel free to run a poll if you like.

jttheclockman

In an effort to move off dead center on this, I've created a thread tag set for the Blank Making forum. We can always add forums if a particular tag gets so much use it deserves its own subforum. A couple posters discovered the prefixes and used them.

So far I have:

Segmenting
Casting
Stabilization
Chem Milling
Poly Clay

You'll find the thread tag drop down immediately to the left of the thread title when you create a new thread.

I am guessing some free time has opened up for you and you did not forget this post. That is great and it is always a welcome site to expand the ideas on this site to keep it moving forward.

Now I am definitely not computer savvy at all and maybe there is one or 2 others out there hiding in the weeds but are too shy to ask so I will.:eek:

How does this all work??? If I made a new thread about some segmenting and posted in the segmenting forum what happens??? If I made that same post in say pen turning forum, what happens??? Maybe you can explain it a little. Thanks.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

So far I have:

Segmenting
Casting
Stabilization
Chem Milling
Poly Clay

I am guessing some free time has opened up for you and you did not forget this post. That is great and it is always a welcome site to expand the ideas on this site to keep it moving forward.

Now I am definitely not computer savvy at all and maybe there is one or 2 others out there hiding in the weeds but are too shy to ask so I will.:eek:

How does this all work??? If I made a new thread about some segmenting and posted in the segmenting forum what happens??? If I made that same post in say pen turning forum, what happens??? Maybe you can explain it a little. Thanks.

The "prefix set", or the list of prefixes we're discussing, is assigned to a specific forum. So these are only available when you create a thread in the Blank Making forum. Just like the "For Sale", "Trade", "Gift, & "Wanted" tags are available only in the Deals forum.

If you create a thread in the Blank Making forum, or any forum under it, you can select one of these tags. Normally, there would NOT be any forums under it, but we have the pre-existing forums for Segmenting and Casting & Stabilization.

Does that help? :biggrin:

jttheclockman

Jeff

I may do a trial thing:) I see it now. How we learn new things:biggrin::eek:

I also put the poll up for the Bereavement forum and have it run for 30 days. It is a yes or no poll. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bob Wemm

Jeff, from my point of view I would like to see the Sub-forums. Sometimes people only have a limited amount of time and I think it would be much easier if it were possible to go straight to the required Topic, rather that searching through.
Just my 2c's worth.

Bob

Top Bottom