JET Mini Bearings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I have seen a few posts, recently, about the good service from Jet Tools and several have been about the replacement of bearings in relatively new Minis. Is this just coincidence or does JET have a problem with their bearings?? I don't know for sure; but would think that the bearings should last for many years??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Czarcastic

Randy:
I thought the same thing but then realized that I have several thousand hours on my lathe and probably push the envelope as far as weight, size, and stress on my mini.
For every pen that I make, I probably make ten bowls or hollow vessels that put a real strain on the motor/bearings/spindle of my mini. It's not unusual for me to have a 6" or 8" diameter bowl being hollowed on my Jet mini, and, despite the fact that its got 70 lbs of iron and a pretty significant hardened steel spindle, I seriously doubt that it was designed for that sort of strain on its moving parts.

I am certain that I over-tax every stress-point on my mini, and should really have a larger lathe for the type of turning that I do.

The fact that Jet will replace the bearings on my lathe, without ever asking how long I have had it, or anything about use or abuse, says loads about the company and the product, in my opinion.

ryannmphs

I don't think it's just a Jet thing. The bearings in my Delta TS went out. I replaced them, but I think the damage was done and ended up replacing the whole motor (this was the direct drive type TS so it was a real PIA).

I am now working on rebuilding a Delta 1440 lathe. I purchased it know there was a wobble in the HS, but for $200.00 I could afford to "fix it up". Well last night I got the spindle out and it also needs to get replaced. so for about $75.00 worth of parts and a little bit of my time, I'm getting all new parts in the HS.

Ryan

woodbutcher

My local bearing guy says the bearings on most if not all the import mini's have "soft " bearings. According to him the long term fix is a Timken bearing replacing the original part. Most lathe books consider 10 yrs as a good time for bearing replacement. I guess it's up to the user to decide wether to continue to get free replacements or bite the bullet and turn loose of some long green. Either way the Jet mini is a great lathe and well worth the effort or cost. I had a bearing issue w/ my PM 3520 and they actually sent a mechanic with bearings to my shop for the repair. No charge. My Delta midi was abused when I first startd turning due mostly to my ignorance and lack of understanding. The last lathe purchase was a Carba-tec that I use strictly for penmaking. It is faster for me to use. because of the fast rpm startup and I can stop the mandrel spinning much faster when switching the machine off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom