Jet bandsaw table doesn't lock solidly??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Hello; I just got a used Jet 14" bandsaw with a riser kit so I can do bowl blanks. BUT the table doesn't lock when I tighten the knobs (46) under the table. The least pressure on the away edge of the table causes it to tilt.

I've thought of taking some coarse grit sandpaper to the quadrants.

Has anyone seen this before?? I did a Google search but didn't find anything.

Thanks.... Randy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello; I just got a used Jet 14" bandsaw with a riser kit so I can do bowl blanks. BUT the table doesn't lock when I tighten the knobs (46) under the table. The least pressure on the away edge of the table causes it to tilt.

I've thought of taking some coarse grit sandpaper to the quadrants.

Has anyone seen this before?? I did a Google search but didn't find anything.

Thanks.... Randy

Hello Randy

I will give you my opinion. and a suggestion. Make sure the trunnions are secured to the table. Usually 3 or 4 screws. The knobs screw into a rounded nut that rides in the grove of the trunnions. Now either the screws holding the trunnions came out or loose, you got saw dust under the nuts in the trunnions or the threads on the knobs are stripped. Not much more to them to hold a table on.

My suggestion is to take the table completely off and see the action of the nuts and knobs as they rotate through the trunnions positioning. While there clean and lubricate the trunnions with some not stick grease. I am sure you can figure out how the table comes off:) Easier to work on right side up than upside down.:)

randyrls

Randy; How did you fix the cracked trunnion??

John and Randy; I had the table and trunnion off the saw and didn't notice any cracks. I'll take it apart again. I thought of removing the knobs and installing washer, lock washer and nut. It's M10 so not easy to get at the big box store, and MSC wants to sell you 50 of them.

I gad a cracked trunnion on my doing the same thing. I nearly went crazy trying to find it.

Yes this is a possibility too. Being the tension being put on the hold down nut.

randywa

I ordered a replacement. They only sold them in pairs and I want to say it was less than $30 with shipping. The crack on mine wasn't noticeable, just enough to feel with a fingernail. I guess it would open when tightening it up. Here's a link to the manuals.
and a phone # 1-800-274-6846.

jttheclockman

Randy there should be a washer between the knob and the trunnion. This washer helps spread the torque out some on the trunnion. There really is nothing more to the table top than that. The problem has to be there somewhere. The crack thing has high potential too.

randywa

I don't know if this is any help but maybe.

Attachments

• jet1.png
    jet1.png
    124 KB · Views: 86
  • jet2.png
    jet2.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 80

Woodchipper

Randy S, our local Ace Hardware carries fasteners that Lowe's or HD doesn't have. Lowe's should have a decent selection of metric fasteners; our store does.

randywa

Good to hear you found the problem. If your's has the little square blade guide blocks like mine, I finally figured out that Corian works pretty good instead of trying to find the original ones. Cheap too.

randyrls

I like the cool blocks, but I've already installed a set of Carter bandsaw bearing guides.

The parts I ordered were $10 and so was the shipping!:frown:

Need to see if I can improve the dust collection. It isn't very good.

Top Bottom