Jack and Jill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I had a wacky professor that tried to convince us that rhyme was full of sexual metaphors and failing prophylactics. Just can't hear it anymore without giving a chuckle.

ctubbs

I had a wacky professor that tried to convince us that rhyme was full of sexual metaphors and failing prophylactics. Just can't hear it anymore without giving a chuckle.

Where did you go to school?:rolleyes: I must have had the same prof.:)
Charles

bensoelberg

I don't know about that one, but I always enjoyed lecturing on the black plague and breaking down "Ring Around the Rosie." The "ring" around the rosie was describing the physical characteristic of the red, puffy sores that plague victims would develop. "A pocket full of posies" referred to the flowers that people used to put in their pockets to disguise the smell of their rotting flesh, and "ashes, ashes, we all fall down" is a pretty straightforward statement about mortality. For some reason, my students would always walk out of class in a somewhat somber, pensive mood on that day.

Sorry Luke, no idea which Jack and Jill you're referring to...

Haynie

We got the Ring Around the Rosie thing too. There were a couple of other nursery rhymes we went over too. Jack Sprat, Pees porridge, and one other I can't remember. It was an ethnology class. We were looking at what people can learn by listening to kids play. Can't remember the professor's name but sure remember that lesson. Obviously I think he was full of bull with the jack and jill stuff but it was funny.

Top Bottom