I've been elected

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
My MIL had a raccoon tear a hole through the shingles and sheathing, and got inside her attic. She had a critter guy set traps and remove the raccoons, but she has elected me to repair the roof.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to get up the ladder and I have no idea the extent of the damage. Fortunately, it's right above the soffit, so it shouldn't require getting on the roof.
I will evaluate the damage and determine if I want to tender my resignation.

I hate roof work anyway.:frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Gonna be hard to walk away from such a luctrative position. Good luck! ;-P

MTViper

If you're not sure you can get up the ladder you shouldn't try to get up the ladder. Basic rule of ladder safety.

My late mother and mother-in-law were notorious for nominating me for jobs like this. I hoped it was because they were impressed with my "fixit" skills. I suspect it was because they were both cheap. When it came to jobs, I analyzed the work and the hazards. If I could do it, I did. If I couldn't, then I gave them the number of people I knew could do it - the same people I would hire to do the same jobs for me so I didn't have to.

My mother once got squirrels in her attic. I don't do attics. I weigh almost 300 lb and I don't like stepping through insulation and sheet rock. I called Orkin. She almost threw him out and he almost walked out before I got them both settled down and she hired him. Three nights later, the trap in the attic was full. At 8 pm I got the call to come get it. I had to take it many miles farther out in the country and release it. No problem, squirrel released, trap rebaited with a piece of a Payday bar, and back into the edge of the attic it went.

Orkin also put sticky strips in her hot tub room to catch a snake that left its skin there. The trap caught another squirrel while I was out of town so a different Orkin employee came to empty the trap. While he was there, there came a scratching in the Vent-a-hood over the stove. He carefully released the filter an screen and was nose to nose with a terrified squirrel.

Seems when they installed it, they just vented it into the attic instead of out the roof. What to do? Sticky strips to the rescue. My mother's caretaker carefully released the screen while the Orkin employee held up two sticky strips. As soon as the hole was large enough, the squirrel came out, the Orkin employee clamped the strips together, and then there was a terrified, angry squirrel, a terrified Orkin employee, and an angry octogenarian who wanted it out of her house.

The door was close and open. The Orkin employee headed out and then had to figure out how to release a scared, angry squirrel. He did successfully and all was well. He got someone to fix the vent correctly and word went out to other squirrels to stay out of the attic or you could wind up bald. And I didn't have to climb a ladder any higher than enough to reach up and slide the trap back in the attic. And I got a good laugh out of it. Hope you did too

Terredax

Banned
I think it's a little of both. She knows my ability and she's frugal. Something that would likely cost a few hundred dollars to call someone out, can be done for the cost of a simple meal if I do it.

I'm physically able to get up the ladder, but as I discovered last year while climbing a ladder to replace a bulb in a light fixture on a high pole, I believe I've developed acrophobia.
It's recommended to confront this psychological limitation, so we will see how it works out as I ascend the rungs.

I have no intention to put my hand inside the hole, if I make it that far. That's all I would need, to have something angry coming out of the hole and me plummeting to the ground.:redface:

When I lived in Houston, My mother used to call me from northern Oklahoma and say in her sweet motherly voice, "if you happen to be coming up this weekend, bring your tool box, I have xxxx or xxx for you to do".... and 'course I was planning to drive 14 hours up that weekend....

Terredax

Banned
She now says there is something else scratching and digging at the shingles. I'm unsure if it's in the same area or another spot on the roof. Maybe a few smoke bombs will be in order.:eek:

Terredax

Banned
I did an initial inspection of the damage, and decided I would do the repair.
The hole was about 12" in diameter, and it was right against the wall.
I started tearing the shingles off and found that the builder never put step flashing against the wall and to the roof. There was a 1/2" gap that has let rain leak inside the roof and soffit. The sheathing was rotted and there was no support from the closest rafter (about 12" from the wall), to the wall.

The raccoon found the weak spot and exploited it. After gaining entry to the inside of the soffit, it continued to chew through the exterior sheathing, and made it's way into the attic and wall.

I cut the roof sheathing back to solid material, and placed new sheathing over the wall hole to seal it. I added the proper support to the rafters, and I replaced the roof sheathing. I then replaced the shingles with the much needed flashing, and I'm pleased to say... it's finished.

Other than a slight difference in the shade of the shingles (you have to be looking for it to notice), it is now better than it was when new. And the best part is...the MIL is very pleased.

Happy Mother's Day...

Terredax

Banned
Sometimes you have to do it yourself to get it done right.

Apparently the word got out. A friend of the MIL, has a leak around their chimney, and asked if I could repair it.
This is a two story home, with what is described as, a steep roof.

I politely declined.

Top Bottom