IT'S TOO HOT !!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

How are you beating the heat?

We're expecting 100+ degrees all week. Yuk! Some of you folks have heaters and AC in your shop, I have neither and the shop was already blazing hot at 8:00 this morning. Too hot to go pedal and sitting in the house stinks, so off to my outdoor shop. I never stop being thankful~

Attachments

• 20160722.jpg
    20160722.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 222
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

That's the kind of outdoor shop I could enjoy. With the AC on in the house and set at 75 the temp is 77. It is sized to small for the house. Shop is in the basement though and temp down here is 62.

It was a nice balmy 90 degrees in my shop yesterday... spent first couple of hours putting another coat of finish on my pepper mills... good thing the WOP was drying quickly... I kept dripping sweat on my mills.

jttheclockman

First it is too hot then it is too cold. So what you have about 10 days out of the year that you can work in the shop???:):):) Suck it up and get out there. I worked in construction for 43 years. 8 hours in all kinds of weather. No work no pay. Man what wimps. :):):)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I actually get more turning done during the summer than any other time of the year. I have a window AC and my shop is comfortable to tolerable as long as we don't go over 100. Any other time of the year, I don't have a good excuse to avoid all the outdoor work us farmers have to deal with.

jttheclockman

I actually get more turning done during the summer than any other time of the year. I have a window AC and my shop is comfortable to tolerable as long as we don't go over 100. Any other time of the year, I don't have a good excuse to avoid all the outdoor work us farmers have to deal with.

That a boy Edgar!!!!!

stonepecker

Personally, I have learnd you can't fight nature.
So I try to work around it.
Heat index here these last three days +100......today, they are talking bad storms.

I try to go easy since my 'mini stroke'. Yea, that is what the doctor called it.
Stay in the shade and drink lots of fluids. (After 5 pm.......it is called BEER)
Eat lighter. Heavy meals make you sweat more. Eat later in the day.
Take a nap......work in the cool of the morniing or after sunset.

Don't worry Bob, the weather will get better again.

Penultimate

I woke at 7AM and it was 78deg so went out for a run before got too hot. It was 85 when I finished an hour later. I do my turning in the basement so the temp is OK it's a little humid. I don't have a nice place like a lake to go to.
Stay cool

BSea

Temp was 100 here today with heat index of 113. I do have air in the garage though. It stays bearable even during days like today. Not comfortable, but bearable.

bobleibo

See, some of you have AC (store bought or nature provided) but if I installed one in the wall like that, the wall would be gone and so would 1/2 the electrical plugs in my shop. Unlike Derek who's shop qualifies for it's own zip code, mine is more like a hall closet. If it's too cold I can always put on another jacket, but when it's too hot you can only take off so much clothes before the neighbors start pointing and laughing (or so I've heard). I'm waiting for that weather to get better ~ and "not having a nice lake....", excuse me but take a peek about 20 miles east, holy schmoly, I'd be in heaven ! There or Puget Sound = dreamers bucket list. Travel donations gratefully accepted as are those cute little arm floaty things to keep me from drowning.
Happy Sunday everyone~

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I decided to cut my grass around 2pm today. It was hotter than the hinges on the gates of hell!! It took me an hour, afterwards I jumped in the shower and had it as cold as it would go. The medicine I take makes me super sensitive to the heat. I'd much rather sit on the couch and soak up the A/C!!

leehljp

Member Liaison

Evidently you did survive the heat wave of '80. :biggrin: So did I! What was it? Ninety one or two consecutive 100° or more days? The day it hit 113° in Ft Worth, I was in charge of outdoor activities for a VBS. I kept the kids indoors!

Curly

You guys should look up "evaporative cooling vest" and buy one. Drop it in a bucket of water for a minute or two. Put it on and the water evaporates out of it cooling you in the process. They work best if a fan is blowing on you or there is a breeze. You will be damp but it's no worse than the sweat you'd have without it and there is less stress on your body trying to make up for lost fluids.

sbwertz

I just got back to Phoenix after spending two weeks in CT. We are still above 110 most days here. Plus the fact that monsoon has started so the humidity is higher than normal. I'm having problems getting used to the heat again!

sbwertz

113 forecast for today. We have had 24 days above 110 so far this year. 66 days over 100. The last day below 100 was on July 1, at 96 degrees. Unusually hot even by Phoenix standards

Last edited:

tbroye

108 here today, a few cooler tomorrow. Went out to shop awhile ago 80 with the AC set at 78. and this is with the AC in a window on west facing wall. I bought a thermostat that plugs into the wall that the AC then plugs into so it keeps it comfortable even on the hottest days. My resident Feral Cat who lives there is very comfortable and curled up on her bed at the end of one of the work benches. He two offspring are in the house on the tile floor in the sunroom. Buying that thermostat a few months ago really helps keep the bill down an if I wanted I could get the temp down 74 or so. The best thing I did when I built it was insulate the walls and ceiling. Warm in winter, cool in summer. Not to bad for $109 window AC unit from HD 10 years ago.

CREID

Ok, It's going to be 92 here today. For those of you that don't know. THAT'S HOT around here.
Oooh, I hear lots of sirens outside. I am going to have to peek out a window.

JimB

Ok, It's going to be 92 here today. For those of you that don't know. THAT'S HOT around here.

That's hot where I am too. Three consecutive days of 90 or more is considered a heat wave. We average only 9 days a year at 90 or more. So far we have had 13 days this year. We don't have any A/C in our house.

CREID

That's hot where I am too. Three consecutive days of 90 or more is considered a heat wave. We average only 9 days a year at 90 or more. So far we have had 13 days this year. We don't have any A/C in our house.

We had some hot days in april and may but no more until now. Only got to 91 today and supposed to be 90 tomorrow, then 80 over the weekend. 65 and cloudy is my favorite.:biggrin:

bobleibo

Oye~ vei'
Everyone hop in Sharon's RV and head this way. I'll stock up the ice chest,
round up a handful of extra boats and we'll all head to the outdoor office and paddle away. Maybe I can figure out how to mount a lathe on the front of one of the boats but something tells me there might be a small problem running an extension cord across the lake. Eh, let's find out......c'mon up, the water's fine.
Wayne, bring me some of those floaty things will ya'?
Rub-a-dub-dub~

Marmotjr

I find it difficult to sympathize with people when the complain about the heat. Where I work stand about 15-20 ft from a conveyor oven, that does not have a door, that runs at around 1100' f. About 525c. It is usually 100-110 on the shop floor, with humidity around 40-80%. The worst I've seen it was 125f with 85% humidity.

So when we get to step outside of the plant, and it's still 95f out..... it feels wonderful.

It's all a matter of perspective. :D

Rolandranch

I totally know what you mean. I don't have AC either. This summer the shop got up to 115 degrees a couple of times and is usually in the 90s to 100s all summer. I just try not to drip sweat on my pens.:)

The nice thing is that we have a pool...

Last edited:

sbwertz

I'm having serious difficulty readjusting to the heat here in Phoenix. I was gone for 4 weeks, and was quite ill while I was gone. When I got back, the heat and monsoon humidity is really giving me a problem. I went out to go shopping, and my car (which sits out in the sun because my garage is now a woodshop), was very hot inside. By the time I got to the store two miles away, I was shaking and nauseous. When I got home I slept for over an hour with the AC going and in front of a fan.

Normally I handle the heat here without a problem. I don't know if it is because I am still weak from being sick, that I am not acclimated to the heat, or both, but it is really causing me problems.

jttheclockman

I'm having serious difficulty readjusting to the heat here in Phoenix. I was gone for 4 weeks, and was quite ill while I was gone. When I got back, the heat and monsoon humidity is really giving me a problem. I went out to go shopping, and my car (which sits out in the sun because my garage is now a woodshop), was very hot inside. By the time I got to the store two miles away, I was shaking and nauseous. When I got home I slept for over an hour with the AC going and in front of a fan.

Normally I handle the heat here without a problem. I don't know if it is because I am still weak from being sick, that I am not acclimated to the heat, or both, but it is really causing me problems.

I have noticed as I get older I too can not handle the heat like I once used to. I worked outside for 43 years in construction in all kinds of weather,and had little problems but now that I am retired I get sick too from the heat. Stay in the air conditioning for a couple hours and feel much better again.

Just be careful and listen to your body.

CREID

I have noticed as I get older I too can not handle the heat like I once used to. I worked outside for 43 years in construction in all kinds of weather,and had little problems but now that I am retired I get sick too from the heat. Stay in the air conditioning for a couple hours and feel much better again.

Just be careful and listen to your body.

I am the opposite. The older I get the less I tolerate the cold. (used to love the winter, the cold the snow). Now I tolerate the heat better than I used to, I used to really hate it when it got over 80. Now as long as it doesn't stay over 80 long I don't mind it. But 65 and cloudy is still best.:)
But having said all that, I'M STILL YOUNG!:biggrin:

Top Bottom