IT'S OFFICIAL, MPG 2014, APRIL 11-12TH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

It's official, we will be having a Midwest Penturners Gathering. It will be back at Carpenters' Local 44, 402 S. Duncan Rd., Champaign, IL 61821. I expect a thank you from all you guys from the Indiana/Ohio contingent! More of you folks than us coming from Peoria! Vendor setup and social time on Friday the 11th, full day of demos and vendor sales on Saturday the 12th. I'll get a Facebook page up shortly, and identify a local hotel. So save the date! We'll run the same format as years past, with great demos, contests, and door prizes. Volunteers will be needed for contest chairman, door prize collection, and demo organizer/scheduler. So far I think we can count on demos by myself, Ed Brown, Gerry Wilhite, and Curtis Seebeck. Not a definite line up, but you get the idea. Any ideas, requests, or help will really be appreciated. Short demos of 30 minutes and full demos of 1 hour if you care to share your skills or techniques. LOTS MORE INFO TO FOLLOW!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thank You... Thank You.. Thank You... We are not worthy... Looks like a lot of fun..!

Seriously - Done things like this ... A LOT of work!

Yes - THANK YOU.

It's on the calendar!

Mark:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We will definitely plan to be there, Rich!!

I'm happy to do a demo or two, it would be nice to know the level of the expected attendees.

We are seeing a lot of new people on IAP and the phone calls I get show that many are just "getting into" penmaking. So, we can gear a demo at the "new guy" and, perhaps a later demo on "what happens next" focusing on some of the more challenging items we can incorporate into blanks--then try to turn (mastadon ivory comes to mind).

As always, I can be persuaded to demo on any topic you like---just give me a week or so notice, please.

Looking forward to the event and, once again Rich, let us KNOW HOW we can HELP!!!!
(as in preparation)!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'd really like to do that two man conversation format with Gerry Wilhite, again. Talking about shows and how to approach selling fountain pens----this time I want to record it!!

I thought the last one was really good---but then, I was watching from a different angle than the audience---SELLING was covered well--to my ear. Gerry's advice was phenomenal!!!

Just a thought---hope it can be "made to happen"!!
Ed

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Gerry has a ton of knowledge on selling! I'll plan on coming up. Might have to pick up some hitchikers on the way

low_48

Isn't this a union shop or something union involved? Any reason why that place was picked?

It is a carpenters' union hall of which my friend and local AAW chapter president is a member. They use the hall for their AAW chapter monthly meeting. There are no restrictions for moving in and out of the building, including people, vendors, and vendor supplies. Reason for choosing? It is free and any event held there for a member is covered under their liability insurance. It's a really clean place, large parking lot, chairs and tables are available for free use, and really friendly people to help set up. Counting this one, only 2 of the 7 MPGs were held somewhere else. Champaign is located near the intersections of Interstates 74, 57, and 72. That makes it nice for access from all directions and has lots of motels because the University of IL is also located their. Fairly easy drive from Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Peoria. Do you have a better deal or preferred location? Why do you ask?

Last edited:

Nick

To those considering attending at this location, every thing that Rick said is true. You will find all of the folks at the Hall,, warm and friendly.
I attended for two years early on, both as a participent and attendee, all the way from the West Coast,made friends that I still keep in contact with to this day. Age and health reasons will not allow me to attend.
Respectfully
Don

low_48

Still need some volunteers for the long term planning. John U. has volunteered to gather and organize door prizes, and that's greatly appreciated. Anyone want to organize and twist some arms to get the program organized? Please?

JerryRhoads

I will be there. I will have the key
I am a retired carpenter out of this Hall. President of Flatland Woodturners
We meet here on the third Tuesday of the month. We get the Hall free as long as we have a union carpenter to reserve it. We have approximately 6 union carpenters who are union members, and some carpenters who are not union. And a lot of other great people.

For use of the Hall, Flatland Woodturners make things for their feeds (candy dishes or flower vases). and tops for their children's Christmas party. They also donate some money from time to time for our Freedom Pens.
Long as we clean up good we have a good relationship.

Buzzzz4

I just saw this and am really bummed that it's this weekend. My wife has a prior commitment and I will be home with the kiddos. I wish you all the best in planning.

JerryRhoads

Sorry to here that you have heath problems that make it impossible for you to attend Don
You fun antics will be missed. I still think about some of them. "There is something on the wing". was great
And your demo was great also

Jerry

Last edited:

brownsfn2

Can you tell me what time this would start on the 11th? I am trying to determine what time I would need to be there. Thanks!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Can you tell me what time this would start on the 11th? I am trying to determine what time I would need to be there. Thanks!

Hey Ron, I will let Rich answer your question on hours.

However, there really are no hours to these events. There are demonstrations, that revolve about once each hour. Some people who are not interested in the demo will be "talking amongst themselves" in the back of the room, or outside (there is an exit from the demo room to an outdoor patio)

Some people will only stay an hour or two (particularly if they brought their wife). Others stay all day, even arriving the day before (like me).

There is no cost to attend, so even if you stop by for an hour or so, you can meet other turners and pick up a tip or two and buy some cool pen blanks from Rich Coers (and others)!!

Definitely stop in, for any part of the day---if you can!

low_48

We get the key at noon on Friday the 11th. That's when the vendors will start their setup. We can start setting the room around the same time. If we get enough people coming in, I can see some social time, and maybe some food delivered for dinner. 2 years ago in Bloomington, we just sat around and visited for a while. We asked each person to take some time and talk to the crowd about their pen turning. It was very well received. When someone mentioned their specialty, someone of common interest knew who to visit with latter and on Saturday. It was a nice way to get to know each other.

brownsfn2

Ed has got to be kidding. 1-2 hour stop in? No way. I am going to be there from doors open to doors closed. :)

I am thinking about taking the day off on Friday for the drive and to participate in any social. As Ed knows I like to talk and join in conversation so I am looking forward to a good time with people with like interests.

As long as work does not get in the way I should be there.

cozee

Just heard yesterday that the MPG is back home so to speak. It's been awhile since I turned a pen, any beginner's classes??!!!!! Returning for me will be a little bittersweet since Tom Radachi's passing last May.

Last edited:

brownsfn2

Can someone tell me if there is an activity agenda with times or will there be one? I don't want to miss a moment of the action. :)

Top Bottom