It's Eclipse Day!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

And people have lost their flippin' minds.

Best local comment of the week (We're directly in the path of totality) : "I have my eclipse glasses, now can somebody tell me where I can go to see it?"

Reactions: RKB
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

My company made a command decision last week to allow all of the employees at corporate headquarters to leave a noon to travel home before the traffic becomes a nightmare.

All of the local schools are having late dismissals today for the the same reason.

My boss was nice enough to tell my co-worker and myself to work from home this morning rather than coming in to the office for a few hours.

SO. Maybe we all need to make an Eclipse pen kit and engrave the date and time on it for remembrance.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I think the news assumes that we're all druids! I could care less that the moon is going to block the sun..not the first time, nor the last...just a two-minute interlude in a normal day.

I do think that it's worth noting that this will be the first time in a very long time that we can be sure that the majority of people in North America are NOT looking at their smartphones (albeit for a very short period of time!) :)

renichols

I think the news assumes that we're all druids! I could care less that the moon is going to block the sun..not the first time, nor the last...just a two-minute interlude in a normal day.

I do think that it's worth noting that this will be the first time in a very long time that we can be sure that the majority of people in North America are NOT looking at their smartphones (albeit for a very short period of time!) :)

Yea but, some will be taking selfies (sp) so they can watch it through their phones. Me I'm staying in the house with the puppy.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I made a simple shadow box with three different size holes - works fine.

As of 1:35 PM Medina, OH time, I am starting to see it. At about 2:30 will be the best time here.

My wife is at her sister's house in Corvalis, OR - 100% coverage.

gtriever

That was an impressive two minutes. Glad the skies were clear. Strange to hear the birds stop chirping and the crickets begin during it.

magpens

Managed to see an 85% eclipse here ... about 300 miles north of Salem OR.

Used a square plastic downpipe tube 30" long with foil/pinhole one end white paper on other. Not terribly impressive but I saw the crescent waxing and waning between garden tasks.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I was at work. About 10 minutes before total blackness you could here the locusts going crazy outside. It was a little weird. We had about 98% coverage here. Somehow I survived, barely :eek:.

Woodchipper

Traffic in one state was at a standstill, according to what my wife heard on the news. People in Nashville, TN were paying $900 per night for motel rooms. The city, I was told, was closing off downtown and was charging $20 to park. People were renting rooms in their houses for $100 a night.
Spent it with the grandkids. Interesting but not something that I would go ape over! Or spent that kind of $$$$, even if I had it.

Last edited:

socdad

About 90% here in Dayton, played around with my camera ...
IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0214.jpg

Ambidex

I remember the one in 1979...What I don't remember is people driving hundreds of miles and spending thousands of dollars for a couple minutes of entertainment. We made boxes to view the eclipse or some of us used welding helmets. Some of the ridiculousness I've seen on TV the last few days has made me shake my head. I know...it's the world we live in...:frown:

Here are a few pictures my stepson took from my front yard... he used a long lens on a Nikon D3000 with a welding glass for a filter....

Attachments

• eclipse resized_0.jpg
    eclipse resized_0.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 67
  • eclipse resized_1.jpg
    eclipse resized_1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 69
  • eclipse resized_3.jpg
    eclipse resized_3.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 72
  • eclipse resized_4.jpg
    eclipse resized_4.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 79
  • eclipse resized_5.jpg
    eclipse resized_5.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 69
  • eclipse resized_2.jpg
    eclipse resized_2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 65

gtriever

Traffic in one state was at a standstill, according to what my wife heard on the news. People in Nashville, TN were paying $900 per night for motel rooms. The city, I was told, was closing off downtown and was charging $20 to park. People were renting rooms in their houses for $100 a night.
Spent it with the grandkids. Interesting but not something that I would go ape over! Or spent that kind of $$$$, even if I had it.

Traffic was backed up at one spot in KY, where I-69 and the West KY Parkway meet. Northbound traffic from Hopkinsville and Eastbound traffic from the LBL area converge there, and the engineer that designed that interchange should be stood up against a wall. Everything else was flowing normally... and yep, price gouging was rampant. I sat in my front yard and watched it for free (except for the 2 dollar glasses).

leehljp

Member Liaison
I felt like I had driven 1000 miles to watch a 2 minute horse race . . . and Secretariat Won by 31 lengths!

It was that awesome! ( I only drove about 500 mile from home to get there.)

KUDOS TO SULLIVAN, MISSOURI POLICE DEPARTMENT:
My daughter lives near Springfield, MO. We spent Sunday night with her and drove to a site about 90 miles from St Louis. We got there earlier than expected and then just drove around looking for a site. We saw a recreation park with some pavilions and trees next to the interstate. We pulled in and joined the 200 - 300 there about 10:15. Others continued to come in. Between 10:30 and 11, a Sullivan Police car drove through twice handing out solar eclipse glasses to those who did not have any.
VERY NICE!

We had a nice visit there, enjoyed the fellowship and the wonder of it all!

This was my second total eclipse, the last being on May 30, 1984 in Louisiana.

Last edited:

Chuck Key

And people have lost their flippin' minds.

Best local comment of the week (We're directly in the path of totality) : "I have my eclipse glasses, now can somebody tell me where I can go to see it?"

Second best comment: On Sunday a lady said she waited too long to pick up solar glasses and wondered if anyone had any available. A guy said he had several pair he would give her, contact him Tuesday.

83% in Richmond, VA area.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3495.JPG
    IMG_3495.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 175

JimB

We had 75% here and mostly cloudy. Turns out the clouds were a good thing. When it went behind thin coulda you could see it perfectly and that happened at the peak.

In 2024, the next eclipse, we get 100% here! I wonder how much I can charge people to camp in my backyard?

Ambidex

Hey Jim...100 % here too in 2024....how about we buy a 30 mile swath of land between you and I before then and create a really big parking area? You provide the cash and I'll kick in with all the enthusiasm I can muster?:rolleyes:

JimB

Hey Jim...100 % here too in 2024....how about we buy a 30 mile swath of land between you and I before then and create a really big parking area? You provide the cash and I'll kick in with all the enthusiasm I can muster?:rolleyes:

How can I say 'no' when you have that much enthusiasm? I'll send you a check today. It will be for more than you need so return the extra to me asap!:eek:

Top Bottom