It's been a week

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

A week ago today I had a total hip replacement. Wow, this has been an experience. I had no idea what I was in for. At one time I thought why can't they do them both at the same time and get it over with ha ha ha., right. The first week has been a bitc* and I must add quite hard on my wonderful wife as well. It seems to get a little better everyday though and I have been told I am doing well. They say the first week or so is the hardest. Ill feel much better when I can get up and down by myself though. For anyone looking at having this done I say go ahead. I had unrealistic expectations but it is not the worst thing I have ever been through. It isnt anything you want to put off over being afraid and I have been told the results are great. I actually have no pain in my hip, just muscles and tendons that need to be stretched out, I know i am rambling but really wanted to say thanks for the advice I got here and to encourage those making the decision for themselves...God Bless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Craig,
I am glad to hear it is coming along!
My wife's uncle just had his done recently and is doing great!
Won't be long before you are back at the lathe!

Scott

I am glad it is working out for you! Do what the doctor tells you, and punish the physical therapy, and you should be fine.

Scott.

HamTurns

Good luck with your recovery, I had both of my hips replaced. They wouldn't do both at the same time either, but I had mine done about 7 weeks apart.

I had the "better one" replaced first, thinking that I'd recover sooner and be able to rely on it for recovering from the second replacement. That worked out okay, but it's still recovery.

My lathe/shop is out in the garage, so when I was re-cooperating I bought myself a small lathe and put it on the heated front porch, on the same floor level and got my turning fix that way. Eventually I moved it down to the basement for Winter use.

Best thing I ever did, I'm back to playing tennis now, I never thought that would happen!

Happy Turning - Tom

My wife had her right hip replaced in 2008... doctors told her they didn't know how she had managed to walk on that hip before replacement... recover was easy and the P.T. helped tremendously.... She has a lot of other health problems, but the hip is not a problem at all.

Titanium15

Craig, I have had both knees done, and an additional 11 pieces of metal in my spine, the best thing I can tell you is DO THE PT! I did, and it makes all the difference in the world. I met one of the guys who had his knee done when I was in having my other done, and he did not do the PT, and he was paying for it 13 months later.
It does get better, and in a few months you will be looking back at it and thinking it was not all that bad. :) Maybe.....
Best of luck with your recovery,
Stephen

Kragax

Thank You all for your responses it really is interesting to see how fast the body does recover. I literally gets better every day. I do my PT like I was told and it really helps. Its tough in the beginning but I can fell the difference already. Get my staple out next week an looking forward to that. Im not chomping at the bit to get the other one done as I was before but my Dr., who is well renowned for this procedure said they are some of the worst he has seen so it will happen, just not as soon as I wanted. I had no clue. LOL
I hope that any of you looking at having this done don't delay and don't be afraid. I wish I had the money to get this done years ago. Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement> You have helped me with pens so much and now you have helped with life. Thank you my friends.

Top Bottom