It's all in the spelling!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Proof that our education system is not what it used to be.:frown:
Maybe it is one of those 'silent e' situations?:biggrin:
What seems strange to me is that someone would go to the trouble to post this when they clearly have it set out to be hauled away by the city.:laugh::rolleyes:

Attachments

• wood_L.jpg
    wood_L.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 762
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Dale Allen;1778861[B said:
]Proof that our education system is not what it used to be.:frown:[/B]
Maybe it is one of those 'silent e' situations?:biggrin:
What seems strange to me is that someone would go to the trouble to post this when they clearly have it set out to be hauled away by the city.:laugh::rolleyes:
I don't think there was ever any question about that.

I remember that when I went into high school, I was excited that I wouldn't have to have spelling in my last years of high school.... then the year I started sophomore year the Texas school system implemented a new program that required spelling through the senior year... glad they did now... I'm definitely aware of my spelling.

Jim Smith

Who knows, they may have spell checked it in their computer and it didn't catch it since lathe is not misspelled. I suspect it might be a matter of limited vocabulary as much as it is spelling error. Spelling was never one of my strongest subjects in school, but I found that reading helps quite a bit. I now read around 100 books per year on my kindle and find myself submitting content errors for both spelling and grammar. Who'd of thunk???

Jim Smith

chartle

If anyone needs lath wood I have a big pile of it on my front porch.

Nice long pieces. Its historic wood installed in 1896. Air dried for over 100 years.

Its from the Victorian era so good for many steam punk applications!

Will trade for nice wood blanks or kits. Make an offer. Shipping not included.

:)

chartle

Well maybe he/she meant lath on the lathe. On the other hand, lath and plaster isn't too common anymore so maybe they never heard of it.

I have seen new lath for sale in either Home Depot or Lowes. Can't imagine why since there are so many alternatives that give the same look.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well maybe he/she meant lath on the lathe. On the other hand, lath and plaster isn't too common anymore so maybe they never heard of it.

I have seen new lath for sale in either Home Depot or Lowes. Can't imagine why since there are so many alternatives that give the same look.
Well if you are restoring a historic building (house) and want to stay authentic you will probably have to use lath and plaster for at least part of the internal walls. Also I use lath for other things.

Last edited:

chartle

Well if you are restoring a historic building (house) and want to stay authentic you will probably have to use lath and plaster for at least part of the internal walls. Also I use lath for other things.

But its really just the plaster finish you need to replicate. Anything can be under it like blue board which is designed for real plaster skim coats.

If you rewire an historic house you are going to use Romex in the walls not knob and tube.

But like I posted if you want to be 100% authentic I have the goods. :good:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

But its really just the plaster finish you need to replicate. Anything can be under it like blue board which is designed for real plaster skim coats.

If you rewire an historic house you are going to use Romex in the walls not knob and tube.

If it is not lath underneath (in some instances plaster was sometimes applied over other surfaces) it will not be authentic. Some restorations insist on authenticity in both what is seen and what is not seen. Overkill prehaps but still required.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Depending on the age - electrical wiring might be removed and left out altogether in a restoration because electricity was a later addition. I know of at least one 1850s house where that was the case. I also know of at least one home where even today about half of the electrical wiring in knob and tube. However, the reason knob and tube is not used in restorations is that the electrical wiring is required to meet today's electrical codes and since it does not have a separate ground wire knob and tube is excluded along with older two conductor (even some 3 conductor) versions of Romax and BX'

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I owned and lived in (for 32 years) an old house with an unbelievable conglomerate of electrical wiring. Everything from knob and tube through two conductor Romax and BX to Romax with a reduced size ground wire to the most modern. Updating light fixtures and outlets could get to be a real challenge.

Woodchipper

We looked at an old house across the street from the wife's grandparents. The wiring was the old type with woven fabric and the light switches were rotary knobs. Now that is old!
Speaking of spelling- I wish folks would learn the difference between "vice" and "vise." Sometimes the former word is used in what could be a humorous way.

jttheclockman

I wish people would look at the date on the threads. :biggrin::biggrin: That is your first post?? Makes me skeptical about clicking on the link so I will not:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom