Items for sale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

To all sellers:
Rant 1
When showing pictures of items for sale, please show the actual items. Not "typical."
Rant 2
Don't ask the buyer to pay through "Family and Friends." This is cheating PayPal. Price your sale items to cover your sale costs or request another form of payment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought "family and friends " just meant the buyer paid the PayPal fees and not the seller, PayPal still got their money.

larryc

The last time I checked, there are no fees when using Family and Friends.
No fee when you use your bank or balance to send USD in the U.S.

Last edited:

larryc

Why should the buyer have to jump through hoops and pay fees that the seller should pay? If you want to sell something, make it as easy for the buyer as possible.

greenacres2

PayPal Friends & Family (f & f) has no fees if using either a PayPal balance or direct debit from a linked checking or savings account--otherwise the sender/buyer pays the fees. Below is a quote from a respected member who has organized several group purchases:
"Several members and organizers have asked PayPal regarding the use of "Friends and Family" payment option. And it is OK in their eyes and has been each time they were contacted. The "Friends and Family" payment method has no fees for the recipient, thus saving you money."

The time was taken to check with PayPal, and the answer is above--especially important since the purchase ultimately flowed to a retailer. So, the question of integrity to the PayPal system has become a moot point to me. I buy off-cuts from a few furniture makers around the US who actually prefer to invoice and pay the seller's fees as it allow them to single-click for shipping. For most of my purchases on here, I have faith in the seller, who is a fellow hobbyist, and it has never resulted in an adverse transaction--so no need for ME to question the integrity of our members.

For "for sale" postings I don't have a comfortable feel for--or that seem too complex for me (90 items to select one at a time--I don't want to work that hard!!), I simply pass on the opportunity. But that's my choice, and the feelings of others may vary. I guess the "market" will ultimately dictate its own terms--with or without my criticism.

My views, your mileage may vary.
earl

Pen Zen

I don't think it's about fees as much as it is the protections afforded to buyers by PayPal. It is easy enough after all for a seller to add transaction fees to the selling price. It is also pretty easy for a buyer to make a claim (true or false) against a seller and receive a refund from PayPal. PayPal recovers the money from the seller.

If the buyer pays using the Friends and Family option, the transaction is considered a gift, not a purchase. The buyer is left without any recourse and the seller doesn't have to worry about a future claim for a refund (Item not Received, Item not as Described, etc.).

tomtedesco

I waited for hours before saying anything about this post, trying to tone down my reply. If you don't like the way someone is selling an item don't buy it. Why is it your job to lecture everyone to your way of thinking? Skip the ad and purchase from someone that does it your way, life is too short to get upset over something that you can't control.

larryc

I waited for hours before saying anything about this post, trying to tone down my reply. If you don't like the way someone is selling an item don't buy it. Why is it your job to lecture everyone to your way of thinking? Skip the ad and purchase from someone that does it your way, life is too short to get upset over something that you can't control.

I'm glad you waited. I was not lecturing anyone let alone everyone.
Some times the seller does not state that the pictures are representative or requesting PayPal Family and Friends in the original posting.
And I wasn't upset until you accused me of lecturing.

Top Bottom