Interest in a Chicagoland Local Chapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

I am looking to see if anyone would have interest in starting a Chicagoland Local Chapter of IAP. If interested please reply. Here are my thoughts to start. I have a very good relationship with the Woodcraft store in Woodridge. While nothing is firm I have talked with them and they will consider sponsoring the location. This would give us a nice "classroom" setting for meetings. The store is just off I355 and 75th street. Once again I have nothing firm with them, but it is a start.

If interested in a local chapter please reply below. What I also need is some feedback and guidance, specifically:

Weekend or weeknight (weeknights are easier on Woodcraft, but if we schedule well weekends were not out) and idea of start time and length.

How often would you like to meet – quarterly, two / three times a year?

If it is a go I would also like an idea of topics to discuss – but can wait or if you are so excited let me know now.

Let me know thoughts and I will follow through if we have enough interest.

Thanks,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Sounds good Mark, I would love to try and make it. Its a 1.5 to 2 hour ride for me depending on traffic, but I have two week days off every other week and weekends the opposite of those weeks, so its a possibility of making it work. I have a couple friends in my area that are turners and members here also that might want to ride up with me if their schedule permits.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have two sons that live in Chicago, and any excuse I can have to visit 2-4 times a year would be welcome. As of now, I can adjust to either weekends or weeknights.

I'm in!

low_48

It's a 3 hour drive for me, weekends would be better so I don't get home at midnight. I could stay over with our son if we do decide a weekday works better. Quarterly would be a good start. I'd say just pick any subject for the first meeting, then see what kind of skill levels show up. Personally, I could watch about 4-6 meetings of JohnU demos. That would be good for a year and a half! LOL

gbpens

Mark, I would definitely participate. The Woodcraft store is about a 30 minute drive for me. Perhaps a meeting every other month would allow people time to organize a presentation or demo. Being retired and doing shows I would find week days preferable to weekends. Meeting length about an hour and a half. Let me know how I can help. Gene

Krub411

I am interested in a Chicagoland Chapter. I also have a couple coworkers and Fox Valley Woodworkers members that would also be interested. I would be interested in the following demos, casting blanks, CA finish other finishes, turning aluminium pens, in other words anything pertaining to pen turning.
Thanks for asking
Dave

Penultimate

I'm interested. Anytime for me. I think weekends would be easier or me. 3-4 times a year seems OK. Are pen turners with metal lathes allowed::tongue:

Randy Ward

Illinois Chapter

Hey Mark, curious to see if this venture has gotten any legs yet? Still turning pens in Elgin, Thanks, Randy Ward

mg_dreyer

Believe it or not the answer is yes and no. I was at Woodcraft last Thursday to work out the details of a meeting time and date. I was hoping for a weekend due to some of the travels. Either Saturday or Sunday was good. The manager was not in so we left it at they would be getting back to me. I know them there and I know they are very good, so I hope to hear back in the next few days and will post at that point. I have been doing a lot of demos lately, so not only do I expect participation from here, but also from a few of the groups I have talked to. I would hope to be above 20 at the meetings. Sorry for the delay, but as mentioned I have talked with them recently and will post in the next few days either way.

Mark

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This weekend is Turn-on Chicago, Mark.

We will be a vendor there--I'll see if I run into any local penturners and try to get names and contact.

Top Bottom