INSPIRATION FROM THE PAST!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
In celebration of the ending of the 2019 BASH,
I recommend this thread from the 2009 BASH - 10 Years ago.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f110/freestyle-pen-contest-42811/

Why?

Some of the most innovative pens ever posted in one IAP thread.
Some of the most hilarious trash-talking ever posted on IAP.
And for this contest, entrants posted their pens themselves - no anonymity! You took your beating in public square.

And the jokes, insults, sarcasm, boasting, and general blood-letting was done as far as I can tell with a mutual respect between everyone. Yes, folks, our elders could actually do all that and clearly convey a friendly, positive atmosphere. (And yes, I do know that some of those "Elders" are still active here - Just wanted to call them "Elders" as it makes me feel young since they are as old as DIRT... Said in the spirit of the dialogue of the thread). :)

Be warned, it it a long thread, but read it until the end, it is worth it.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
WOW!!! First off that's I think the longest thread I've ever seen. And it hilarious to say the least. What I found interesting was how many names I didn't recognize. There were a few like Skiprat and Ed4copies but a lot if didn't know. Then I looked at some of the dates the last time some of these people looked at the site and I wonder what happened to them. With the friendly camaraderie seen on this thread I'd like to see it again in the future. What changed in 5 years? Thanks for sharing Mark.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
WOW!!! First off that's I think the longest thread I've ever seen. And it hilarious to say the least. What I found interesting was how many names I didn't recognize. There were a few like Skiprat and Ed4copies but a lot if didn't know. Then I looked at some of the dates the last time some of these people looked at the site and I wonder what happened to them. With the friendly camaraderie seen on this thread I'd like to see it again in the future. What changed in 5 years? Thanks for sharing Mark.

What changed? No clear answer. Can the camaraderie be regained - YES! WE are IAP, if I start playfully trash-talking you, will you be offended? I suspect not; we've replied to each other's posts just enough to have a sense of each other's agenda. If I arrogantly trash-talk you will you be offended - yes, and rightfully so. This is the difference. But this is a delicate issue that is not obvious to some. I have a bunch of "IAP Colleagues" that yes, I can poke fun at and they will dish it back without offense.

As to the participants in the thread, many of them are those that I have the highest respect for. Innovative, competitive, willing to push their boundaries and not afraid to fail. Some designs I like, others not so much but still admire the innovation; but a great sense of what I believe a friendly contest should be. Who wins? Who cares!

Were they going to brag about it after the event as a way to put themselves above the others - NO! Because it was never about that, it was a fun event. I admire these folks for the competitiveness without arrogance, self-promotion and belittling. Did they wish to win - Sure. Did they continually remind the others the next few days, months and years of that win - no. It is clear that the trash-talk was founded in mutual respect.

Can we get back to that atmosphere, Yup!

That was a really fun read. The good natured banter was definitely the highlight of that. Absolutely awesome, beautiful pens, most assuredly can't take away from that. There were many, many shots fired, a couple of murders happened, and yet no one actually died from any of it. Well, I'm sure there were some deaths, but only in the fun sense.

Top Bottom