Inspiration?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

How do you come up with creative ideas? I like trying o do things that are new and different but often hit a wall when trying to come up with new ideas. For example, I've been trying to come up with a good idea for an entry into one of the casting contests and simply have not come up with anything I really like. I have been experimenting with different approaches, different resins, and different things to cast but am not feeling inspired.

I guess inspiration is something that just hits you and is not something that you can summon up at will. Duh, that's why it's called inspiration. My best ideas seem to just hit me or sometimes simply wake me up at night. I wonder if our increasing reliance on the electronic world detracts from or adds to our creativity?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like going to museums. For segmenting - architecture, quilting, tile/brick patterns, stained glass applications help.

Casting... maybe examples of blown glass, Corning museum in NY is great, may have an online gallery.

leehljp

Member Liaison
For ME, When I build, make or create something an idea usually comes on the spur of the moment and I try it. Some ideas work, some don't. The end result is what I do with it - more on this later.

My experience and "logic" that I would pass on is: "Don't fall in love with your idea just because you created it." Look at its design and value for what it is, and does it have the same effect on others that it does on me. Beethoven's favorite symphony to him was not the publics favorite. (At least that is what I read 40 years ago.)

I found for my self, that just because I have a new idea that I haven't seen before, that doesn't make it great. But the idea has to be tried - not necessarily by my peers (who could be jealous or ignorant of a totally new concept) but by the people for whom it is intended.

With my philosophy behind me - I have found that what truly makes a pen stand out (and this was discussed once about 8 to 10 years ago or so in a couple of posts on one thread) is the precise angle or curve, or spacing or sizes of segments. 1° difference can make the difference in something that "jumps out" vs "just looking good"; 1/2 a millimeter in a segment size will often do the same.

To me the greatest segmentation jump was the person that took the time to make the first herringbone pen published here. After that, the creative juices of Stephen (aka Skiprat) and a couple of others who turn metal into art like it is simply clay, - I am amazed at what their mind sees before they start. - Which brings up those that do Clay pens - amazing. Lately, those multicolor pens that are painted or cast into swirls.

I have wanted to make a "stained glass" pen for 10 years and worked on it and worked on it in my mind at different times over the years, and earlier this year (I think) one guy made a beautiful SteamPunk like pen with different sections colored differently - looking exactly like stained glass. So simple.

I think sometimes the barrier to creation is that for some of us, we overthink the new idea instead of just jumping in and seeing where it leads. Then with the new idea, sometimes it is hit or miss; but the miss is not a loss if one goes back and adjusts an angle or size or color. Kind of like writing. A good book or article rarely comes out that did not need editing. I wonder how many GREAT ideas were thrown away because we didn't take time to "edit" or tweak it a bit.

Woodchipper

I had a college professor say if you use one source, that is plagiarism. If you use two or more resources, that is research. I do a lot of research. You will note there is a gallery on this website.

I think sometimes the barrier to creation is that for some of us, we overthink the new idea instead of just jumping in and seeing where it leads. Then with the new idea, sometimes it is hit or miss; but the miss is not a loss if one goes back and adjusts an angle or size or color. Kind of like writing. A good book or article rarely comes out that did not need editing. I wonder how many GREAT ideas were thrown away because we didn't take time to "edit" or tweak it a bit.

I like this statement by Hank. I have made many things from wood over the years that end up as firewood because I overthink the outcome. I don't think I've launched anything across the shop out of frustration for many years now. Probably a maturity thing but I've learned to adapt to what I've made and tweak it a bit if needed.

tomtedesco

I have had more fails than success with things that pop into my mind. No matter what you first think give it a shot, it may work and become the new way to do something. Having a anchovie pizza just before bed may help with ideas.

PatrickR

A couple things said made me think of Dali - waking up with an idea and summoning inspiration.
Dali was inspired by dreams. He believed the most vivid were in the first seconds of sleep and were best remembered when woken in the moment. To force this to happen he would nap in a chair sitting up, holding a quarter between two fingers suspended over a plate. When he fell asleep the coin drops, hitting the plate, waking him up.

For me .... ideas just come to me. Like others here the enjoyment comes in trying to implement them and seeing where it leads.

jttheclockman

My problem is I have too many ideas and do not have the time to execute and many times I forget (hazard of getting old) I write things down more often and make a few sketches but then I forget where I put the sketches:)

Inspiration is something that comes and goes.New ideas, well that is a tough one because of the canvas that we chose to work on is so limited but it can happen and does happen. We see something new and many times I say to myself, self why didn't you think of that??

My other problem and it is not really a problem but a hindrance is that I do other things that require thought and inspiration such as other woodworking (scrolling) I devote most my time to this because it is my roots and where I make some money from. Pen turning is one of those add on hobbies.

I will say this for inspiration I use a couple sources. One being the fine folks here and their work we see everyday. Another is the magazine Pen World where many new designs show up. Yes most are very elaborate and can not be duplicated but it stimulates the mind. Finally the web and Pinterest. Type in any type pen and many examples come up in picture form and go from there.

With many new members coming onboard here hopefully we get to see new and great things. Hopefully they take us to a new level but most of all have fun and do not be afraid to try things. :)

dogcatcher

I used to keep spiral notebooks in the car, the pickup, by my recliner etc., If I see or think of something, I would write it down and make a sketch or notes as needed. Then when I went to the shop I would work on some of the ideas when I had some free time.

JimB

I don't make very many pens any more. I now make mostly bowls, hallow forms and some other Spindle pieces. I have realized I am not very creative when it comes to shapes and designs for these items. I have also realized that when I 'go looking for inspiration' I do not find it.

So, what I do, is let it find me. I always have some 'interesting' pieces of wood around like crotches, bark inclusions, voids, burls etc but I usually can't figure out what shape bowl or hollow form to make from them. I can look at them non-stop for a week and I get nothing. So I just leave them out in the open in my shop so I see them every time I go in there. I don't think about them but rather they just serve as a reminder that I have them and what they look like. As I go about my life I will at some point stumble across something and realize that shape/design would work well with one of those pieces I have. These inspirations usually come from other Woodturners either at club meeting, here on IAP, magazines, You Tube etc. The shapes and designs that inspire me aren't necessarily unusual and are often quite common it's just that I had never made the connection between the piece of wood I have and that particular shape/design. When I turn the piece I am not trying to duplicate the piece that inspired me but rather using that inspiration as a starting point and make changes as I progress on my piece. BTW, some of those pieces of wood sit in my shop for over a year before the right inspiration finds me.

Another source of inspiration is my wife. Sometimes I start a piece but am not happy with how it is going. When I am stuck as to how to progress I will ask my wife what she thinks I should do with it. I would say about half the time she immediately has a suggestion I didn't think about.

Charlie_W

Cody, Since some ideas just "hit you", perhaps you should have Lida hit you!
As for those that ideas that come to you when asleep......take more naps!!:biggrin:

Cwalker935

As for those that ideas that come to you when asleep......take more naps!!:biggrin:

I guess you are saying "no pain no gain". Lida packs a wicked punch, not sure that is the best route. I think I will go take a nap. Lida will probably hit me to wake me up. Hmmm, maybe I will wake up with a great idea or more likely a big headache.

Cwalker935

I guess you are saying "no pain no gain". Lida packs a wicked punch, not sure that is the best route. I think I will go take a nap. Lida will probably hit me to wake me up. Hmmm, that would be a twofer, maybe I will wake up with a great idea or more likely a big headache.

Top Bottom