Infrared Thermometer Gun Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Like everything else, I see there are $11.99 models and $500 - plus models.

Flukes seems to be the brand to buy(?)

It looks like Milwaukee makes some models in the $50 to $100 range.

What do you like for measuring the temperature of typical household objects (HVAC registers, walls, ceilings, attic stuff) 1 to 7 feet away?

If you have a make and model that would help.

I am going to ask my HVAC guy too.

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

There are 3 (?) Base groups. Hobby, industrial and medical. The medical will the most precise with fraction of degrees in accuracy. Hobby, read cheap, will be +/- 10 degrees or more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Whichever you go with, get some black sticky dots to place on the area you are measuring. All units are affected by emmisivity of surface you measure. A non reflective black surface is the most accurate unless you can calibrate to a known temperature and the device has an emmisivity adjustment.

bmachin

Hi Tony,

No experience or preferences, although I do own one that I haven't used yet. That should give you a lot of confidence. I have however used numerous products from ThermoWorks:

http://www.thermoworks.com/Infrareds.

I have been very well pleased with everything I have purchased from them. They seem to have a fairly extensive infrared line.

FWIW

Bill

jttheclockman

Tony, not sure what you are doing but will say the home versions of infared cameras is just that home versions and leaves alot to be desired. I use to run into many instances where we need to check electrical panels. This is huge in the Data industry and many industrial applications and is part of the inspection procedure and will not be signed off until passed. Have seen cases of bad breakers ( huge tie breakers) and also loose connections show up on these tests. But we have a certified company come in and do and record the testing.

I believe at some time thermal scans will become part of home inspection and become mandatory. I have used the Fluke thermal imaging scanner on panels in homes and yes they do work but will I trust them, NO !!!

If you are looking for a heat or air conditioning thing the best thing is hire a pro. This is just my opinion. Also a thermal camera is better than a thermal thermometer.

Last edited:

TonyL

Thanks all for the education and thoughts. I received an answer from my HVAC guy a few minutes ago that I am comfortable with. I always learn something when I ask the members. Thank you!

SteveG

Thanks all for the education and thoughts. I received an answer from my HVAC guy a few minutes ago that I am comfortable with. I always learn something when I ask the members. Thank you!

Since this thread, initiated by you, provides a range of info...why not round it out by adding the input from your HVAC guy? :)

TonyL

Sure. But I wanted to call my BIL first. Fluke brand. My HVAC guy and my BIL uses them all the time and their testing equipment as well. My BIL also repairs electric, gas, and pneumatic tools for over 40 years professionally. For what I can going to do with it...it is fine. Ah yeah, just so I can drive myself completely nuts, I called Fluke technical for help selecting the model. They actually recommended their entry level model which was under $100. I should get it tomorrow and can start measuring the temperature of my soup LOL.

Ed McDonnell

I would have recommended that you take a look at a FLIR ONE. Attaches to a smart phone and turns it into an infrared camera. Way better than using a single point gun. In my opinion anyway.

In addition to readings, you can save images that can be "read" later using their free software to examine temperatures in image.

Ed

jttheclockman

I would have recommended that you take a look at a FLIR ONE. Attaches to a smart phone and turns it into an infrared camera. Way better than using a single point gun. In my opinion anyway.

In addition to readings, you can save images that can be "read" later using their free software to examine temperatures in image.

Ed

I was going to suggest this but forgot. There is some app you can get. I saw this on This Old House once.

Top Bottom