iMac Help Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I have Microsoft office. Doing a "word" automatic update, computer hung up during installation. Does anyone know how to restart without the computer going right back into the installation where it gets hung up again? My iMac is about five years old.
I do have my computer backed up "in the cloud", if that helps

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

Don't know anything about a Mac, never used one, but is there the equivalent of starting a Windows machine in "Safe" mode?

frank123

Glad that worked.

Only time I've had problems with partial installs causing the same type of problem in Windows I had to finally go in and remove all the halfway installed data to be able to start over and get a proper install.

Mac's might not have this problem, but if they do I found the easiest way to find all the stuff (in Windows) was to do a date search for all the latest files that were installed at the time I was trying to install the program and remove them. But this is when it is done immediately and not later on after something else has installed or changed something (you need to know what files to look for in that case).

Again, I have no experience with the Mac operating system and am just guessing something similar may take place in it when installing a Microsoft program fails as it does in Windows when doing the same.

crokett

Somewhere in system preferences on your Mac there should be an option to enable or disable restarting all applications when your computer restarts. You can turn that off then restart and your computer won't restart any applications including the Word update.

SteveG

I received helpful tips in this thread, so thanks to all who posted.I was able to get going again but not quite 100%. I did an internet search, tried a few things, and ended up at Apple tech support on the phone. The issue is now all fixed. But it came with a surprise: Apple phone tech support is FREE! I was expecting to be asked to provide a credit card. NO CHARGE! I was unaware of the Apple policy because in the six years of iMac ownership, there was never a problem. This issue, BTW, was due to a bad install from a third party software update. So Apple users, take note, and avoid running down to the repair facility, most of which DO want money. :eek: :eek: :tongue:

larryc

I've had Office 2011 on my iMac for years and I updated to Office 2016. Wrong move. I thought the new version would have some enhancements in Excel. It does but they don't all work on a Mac. Also 2016 seems less stable.

Woodster Will

Word on a Mac in the 1990's was great, I loved the package. I wouldn't touch it now. It's not as good as the old Word but Open Office works well enough for what we do and it's free.

leehljp

Member Liaison
A little off topic from Mac, but about MS Word. I am not and have not be a fan of MS Word, mainly because I never could figure out the user help nor ever learned the lingo for finding how to do what I wanted. That said, we had some genius guys with our organization that made forms from MS Word that could do better chart things than I could with Excel. And they could do things in word processing form on Excel than I could with Word. We used an Excel form that calculated currency exchange rates and adjustments in expense forms from just about any country of the world.

I loved what those guys could do, but I never "got it".

As to Mac, In 1989, I was tired of handwriting 5 to 10 page long Japanese documents! Japanese word processors were a pain; no standardized keyboards in Japanese at the time. Japanese computerese was not meant for layman's use. I started researching and found a Japanese OS for the Mac with ENGLISH instructions - from a California company. Japan's early Window's machines did not do bilingual processing easily and NO English instructions. The Mac's did, with the pressing of Command + Space, one could change from English to Japanese and then back to English.

I bought Mac, ordered the Japanese OS with English instructions and have been using one since. I did start using PCs and Windows from the mid 90's along with my Macs, but they have always seemed discombobulated to me. They were created and designed for the tech people, not the end office user. Macs were meant for the end user, not the tech user. I began using the Mac for English and Japanese and even my Japanese friends were amazed at how fast I could input Japanese. I later learned that it was because I was an experienced typist and knew the American QUERTY keyboard. Japanese did not have a standardized keyboard and as a result everything was hunt and peck for them. And early Windows PC machines required shutting down and re-starting to switch from Japanese to English in the same document - until the mid-90's.

Today's Macs are not quite as simple as the early ones were. I sure miss Steve Jobs. As he said on many occasions: Anyone can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple.

Top Bottom