I'm tired of not having what customers want

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

This past weekend, I was asked for probably the 100th time... "Do you make those neat bullet pens?", to which I replied, as usual, "No, I don't care for them so I don't make them!".

Well, after looking at a pen Stevers just made I finally thought it might be fun to make a few of these.

The problem is I don't want to go out and learn how to powder coat, I don't want to go dig around the local firing range looking for brass, I don't want to buy $500 worth of reloading supplies and tools just to make some brass ready for pen making.

So, are there any members selling the brass "kits" already shiny and clear powdercoated? If so, please drop me an email stating what you have, how much and hopefully provide a photo.

Thanks
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

George I just received a couple from Eric at the above link to try out and I couldn't ask for anything better. I'll be ordering more very soon.

kent4Him

Eric's are top quality. You won't go wrong there.

On second thought, just give those customers my phone number. :) I'll take care of them for you.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tex,

I make my own. Your approach is MUCH better. Buy them from Eric!!!!

We use the powder coater for other projects - the number of casings we sell would NEVER justify the cost and inconvenience of the thing!!!

hewunch

I think Eddie has been out of commission lately. Although I will agree that he does have a good selection and service for that matter, it has always been a pleasure dealing with him.

Chasper

George,
I was in the same spot you are in; didn't like them, didn't want to make them. But my artistic sensitivities are not so refined that they can't be purchased for a moderate price, soI bought a few lower quality cartridge kits with no plating and regular slim nib, not a bullet nib. At the next show buyers came in a drooled all over them for the first half hour before they were sold. I upgraded to the Eric Rasmussen (Sylvanite) kits for the next show, bought a bunch and they lasted almost the first full day of a show before they were sold at a nice price. I keep buying more and selling more.

I don't want to learn to powder coat, I don't have time to learn to drill bullets, I don't want to shoot myself trying to disassemble a loaded cartridge.....just buy what Eric is selling, make nice pens out of them, and mark them up high.

Sylvanite

George, as others have pointed out, I sell drilled and powder-coated rifle cartridges, kits, and accessories on my website (see the second link in my signature). I make them in a variety of calibers for use with slimline, euro, and cigar kits. I sell whole cartridges, and cartridges already cut to make a "split" cartridge pen. I generally powder-coat in gloss clear, but can do other colors as well. If you want something a little different than what is shown, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,
Eric

Texatdurango

George,
I was in the same spot you are in; didn't like them, didn't want to make them. But my artistic sensitivities are not so refined that they can't be purchased for a moderate price, soI bought a few......
So Gerry, what are you saying, are we just a couple pen making whores or what? :biggrin:

Texatdurango

... I make them in a variety of calibers for use with slimline, euro, and cigar kits. I sell whole cartridges, and cartridges already cut to make a "split" cartridge pen. I generally powder-coat in gloss clear, but can do other colors as well. If you want something a little different than what is shown, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,
Eric
Eric, Thanks for the link, I'll visit your site and try to make a decision. I may have a problem since I have never made a euro, or a cigar kit so it may have to be the slimline sizes unless you have a 50 caliber size for an Emperor! :biggrin:

How does the clear powder coat hold up to use/abuse? Would you say it is similar, better or worse than a CA finish?

OldWrangler

You can count me in with the pen prostitutes. After making a couple of cartridge kits and seeing them disappear, I got real enthusiastic about them. I have bought from Eric, EddieO and Dale Johnson and all have nice kits.

These pens outsell everything else. I did a show about 3-4 weeks ago, sold 17 pens and 9 were cartridge and ran out or I would have sold more. Hunters buy them and hunter's wives buy them for hubby.

And best of all....you only gotta turn one piece, usually antler, and assemble and it takes a lot less time than any other pen. Get them powder coated so they won't dull up, get the transmission installed as this is kinda tricky to do and stock the brass, nickle and black as all sell. And don't even wonder about making your own.....these men are professionals and this should not be attempted by amateurs.

I use the .308 Win case as it seems to balance the pen better. The 30-06 makes a longer pen that looks unwieldy.

its_virgil

You guys are quite fortunate. I took 20 or maybe a few more to a local gun show last fall and couldn't give them away. I had lots of lookers but no buyers.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Texatdurango

You guys are quite fortunate. I took 20 or maybe a few more to a local gun show last fall and couldn't give them away. I had lots of lookers but no buyers.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Probably more rednecks down south. I think we're a lot more sophisticated up here than the "other" Texans! :biggrin:

el_d

I too was reluctant to try them(didnt really care for the look) But recieved mine from Eric this week and now cant wait to turn one and carry it in my own pocket. Looking at the process I opted for "The Kit and Kaboodle". I dont have the tools to do this on my own, and the process seems to be a PITA........FWIW.

Chasper

So Gerry, what are you saying, are we just a couple pen making whores or what? :biggrin:

George,
I would never say anything like that about you, me on the other hand. . . . You did notice that I recommended selling them for a high price.

There is an old story supposedly told by Winston Churchill, he allegedly said to a woman, "Would you sleep with me for a million pounds?"
"Hmmmm...." the woman replied.
"OK, how about for one pound?" Churchill responded
Insulted, the woman said, "What sort of person do you think I am?!"
"We already established that, madame. Now we are dickering over price," said Churchill.

I don't sell pens that don't work, that are poorly made, with plating that will rub off, etc. But I don't have to like the way they look to sell them.

stevers

This past weekend, I was asked for probably the 100th time... "Do you make those neat bullet pens?", to which I replied, as usual, "No, I don't care for them so I don't make them!".

Well, after looking at a pen Stevers just made I finally thought it might be fun to make a few of these.

The problem is I don't want to go out and learn how to powder coat, I don't want to go dig around the local firing range looking for brass, I don't want to buy $500 worth of reloading supplies and tools just to make some brass ready for pen making.

So, are there any members selling the brass "kits" already shiny and clear powdercoated? If so, please drop me an email stating what you have, how much and hopefully provide a photo.

Thanks
George

Thanks George, I take that as a compliment. I actually encouraged someone to do something. Have fun. And keep in mind, prepping cases isn't all that hard. And acquiring cases can be easy too. The only stumbling block would be powder coating. I don't PC. If I sell one, I will just inform the customer that the pen is going to tarnish naturally. If the cust wants something that will stay shiny, I would have to send it out to be PCed. Maybe while you experiment and learn, it wouldn't hurt to use non-PCed cases. And for the cut shell pens with the real bullet, you don't even have to glue or solder in tubes. Check out Don Ward's tutorial in the library.
Just my 2cents.

Firefyter-emt

Steve buddy... If you catch this, just to let you know that if someone sends the pen out to be coated, it will have to have the transmission removed before it is baked. It will melt the transmission from how hot you need to bake it at.

rherrell

Steve buddy... If you catch this, just to let you know that if someone sends the pen out to be coated, it will have to have the transmission removed before it is baked. It will melt the transmission from how hot you need to bake it at.
No it won't Lee, I do it all the time. Even using a press block you run the risk of damaging the PC while pressing in the transmission so I developed a technique for installing the transmission BEFORE I powdercoat the casing. There are a few tricks but it's VERY doable.:wink:

jttheclockman

`Rick

As you know I have been using your techniques and tutorials to do my cartridge pen training and now you developed another technique??? I would surely like to see it and read about it if you do not mind passing it on. Thanks. I am spending the good part of the day drilling some cartridges preparing to powder coat tomorrow.

Does anyone else put the tranny in before they powdercoat???

KenV

The big choice is the one you appear to have already made -- do I get into production of "citridge pen parts" or do I just get on with making pens. Unless you are going to make a bunch of them, the purchase of assemblies is better business.

There appears to be one area of middle ground for finishes -- that is to purchase new nickel plated cases in 30 caliber sizes and use them (say 308 or 30-06 -- common shell sizes). A box of 20 will cost you about a buck a piece. Use gunmetal or copper fnished or gold titanium slimline parts and you can make them. (Personally I like the Billy Mayes use of the PSI pencil tubes to make little sleeves for the case-pencil tube-7mmtube-nib connection".

You might also look at some to Gary Max's cases for starters and learning curve for the business of making these. The auto finish option is not as durable as powder coating, but is just fine for the pen that sits in the gun case or hangs below the mounted head.

P.S. I am with Ed -- powder coating needs a pretty large volume of business to be worth the hassle and the learning curve. You cannot use your time as effectively as Gary Max or Eric do with volume work.

Texatdurango

I guess I should have already mentioned this since I did ask a question and folks are kind enough to keep answering with suggestions. :)

I bought a few of the kits that Eric (Sylvanite) had for sale. They arrived the other day but I haven't worked with them yet.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

Top Bottom