I'm SICK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
and tired of hearing "Those are just beautiful but I'd only loose it" I CAN'T TAKE BEAUTIFUL TO THE BANK!!!:(:(:( Had a show at an RV park Saturday - about 250 people with about 40 crafters. Nice show but 0 sales![V] AND I have all the pens marked down to $20,25, & 30. What gives????????? I had stoppers at $15 & 20 - no sales there either![xx(] I have another show coming up the 26th that says 25000 people and 100 booths, I BETTER do some good there. I need to make more room for some new stuff that I want to make! WHAT am I doing wrong? My displays are attractive and I have lots of compliments on the work and lots of lookers!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The first question that comes to mind is "Are you a salesman?" The world is full of pretty stuff, functional stuff, valuable stuff... and much of it is for sale. Having quality merchandise well displayed is only part of the game. The other part is salesmanship. There are some excellent books on salesmanship that will help you become a better salesman. Visit your local bookstore and browse, then take a few hours to learn the process.

Dario

Bev,

What can I say...I would say the economy dictates sales a lot especially on these type of products.

In a way I am on the same boat as you...no sales [V]...but I am not doing shows so it doesn't really hurt as much. I only have to contend with my kit, tools, and wood "investments".

Hope things change soon...and good luck on your next show!!!

tipusnr

I think there's a lot to what DC says...and we tend to forget that! I'm not much of a salesman (and found that I don't want to be) so my sales are "take it or leave it" sales. That's fine for me because I had never intended to make any kind of business out of penturning (or any kind of turning).

There are great books and articles on salesmanship out there. Though dated, Dale Carnegie has several himself that are excellent and talk about selling yourself and letting the product ride along. There are also courses in the night school business courses at several collages. The bottom line, in my opinion, becomes whether you want to be a salesman or not. If not, I suggest you hook up with someone who enjoys the game.

Make no mistake about it - it IS a game!!

PenWorks

Things don't sell themselves. [:0] Especially in a niche market for nice pens.
I must say, being in sales for the past 30 years, I enjoy selling pens almost as
much as making them [:p] Bev, I think it may be your venues ???

Remember, If I don't have it..... I can get it....
If I can't get it....You don't need it [:D]

Good luck at the next show.

smoky10

I think you have to sell yourself before you can sell anything. I have trouble selling my pens because I'm not a people person. I have a lot of trouble starting a conversation where a some people can talk to anyone at the drop of a hat.

Gary Max

Hey Tom you dropped your hat.---heheheh
Bev the best advice I could give you is to have fun---when we do shows I have a hoot of a time. This alone will make you money--of course dragging folks into your booth also helps sometimes.
I am done with my shows for the year-- Dang it's good to say that-- anyway our sales for the year are way up. Heck it will be everything the wife and I can do to get all the stuff built before Christmas. I have already quit taking orders for this year and we live in Kentucky---way out in the sticks.

Mikey

As others have said, it's all about sales pitches. I am not a very social person, so my wife and her friend will be doing the selling. However, even if you are the most talented seller in the US, sometime people just aren't buying what you have. Rather than try and mak everything down and make your stuff look cheap, save it for the next show. (cause it sure sucks knowing how much work you put into something to make $5)

LanceD

I do outdoor shows selling custom fishing rods that i make. My prices run from 150.00 to 300.00 for a decorative rod made with custom wood handles. Everybody that looks at them will say "that's too pretty to fish with", but then the next thing that comes out of their mouth is "how much will you go down in price fo me to buy one?". I learned a long time ago NOT to drop my prices even if it means losing a sale. If they don't buy from you, someone will come along and pay your price. The ones that do come along and pay what you are asking are the ones that know your product is worthy of your selling price and you are almost quaranteed they will be a repeat customer and will surely recommend your product to their friends. Send away from the ones that want you to discount your products because if you do sell to them at a discount they will still think they got the short end of the stick and will cause you more problems in the long run.

Like some others said, you have to be a salesman. I attended a craft show this weekend and they had a record crowd of 10,000 people for a one day event and i can't tell you how many exhibitors sat back in their booth and read the paper,was eating food or just didn't even stand up when a potential customer entered their booth. No salesmanship whatsoever. Stand by your price and don't give up.

Sorry about the long post.

Rudy Vey

Bev,
this seems to be the trend this year with craft shows. I do a lot of our local shows here in SE Mi, and shows that were great last year just sucked this year. I posted about this already mid October. Talking to other crafters, such that create nice products like our pens, complain about the same. I have just for the fun of it, turned a number of small bowls from some local wood I got for free, so I had the fun of turning and no cost involved. Did also some bottle stoppers, the cork type with some nice spalted maple, too. I priced them very low - even then no sale to be made. Everyone say "oh how nice, you do great work, too bad I have not enough money for it". Of the six shows I did so far this year, one was very good in March, before Easter. Then most of the other ones I barely made the "table" and my cost involved. Had even one show without any sales, the year before it was more then 400 in sales.

BigRob777

Bev,
I have done a bit of sales over the years and my first experience was a bust. I tried to sell Italian Water Ice in a health food store. I've learned a lot since then and you need to know your customers. What kinds of people go RVing? I know that I used to and figure that many do it to save money over hotel rooms. I am not knocking RVers, as I said I was one. Many are retired, living on a fixed income, or whatever. The point is, that your next show sounds like it is going to be a much better opportunity to sell. I haven't tried selling pens yet, though I have my first commission coming up. You seem like a wonderfully kind and friendly person, so let that show. As has already been said, relax and enjoy the people and have confidence in your work. I know that my wife and I both much prefer to buy from jovial and kind people.

I know that when I take my works on the road, I will have a show for the folks, with a mini lathe and a few pen kits.

Enjoy yourself.
Rob

PenWorks

Hey Rob....got any of that Italian water Ice left....I'll buy some of that [:D]

Who said sales is hard, just gotta let people know what your sellin [:)]

ldimick

Bev,

I think the best reply, and all are good, is BigRob's. It's all about demographics.

In the Long Beach area they have a sort of roving swap meet. Thursdsays its in Carson and Friday in downtown LB. Seems like a perfect place to sell since much of the crowd are people roaming around on their lunch break. But then I started to watch to see what was selling and aside from some incense and food nobody was doing much buying.

Seems like there is plenty of money but not much buying.[?]

I'm with Lance about not lowering your prices just to sell something. Now, if theyre over priced to begin with-- perhaps its time to rethink things, but I don't think thats the case with your items.

Mike and I are somewhat in the same boat-- we're just getting started on the show circuit and trying to find out what shows work best for us. We did an outdoor show this weekend & the gals across from us (heck I forget what they sold lol) said that they even track how much sells at what time of the day to what type people-- and they STILL don't come up with any patterns!! The things that sell well at one show, don't at another.

But we got a lot of what you said this weekend too--"I'd just lose it". My answer to that has been, that my 19 year old son has kept up with his pen for months now and that we've had customers to tell us they HAVE to have a unique pen-- that way they know its THEIR pen on someone elses' desk, IF that ever happens after purchasing a one-of-a-kind pen!

We also encountered a retired man who specialized in scroll work with a side line of pens-- which he sold dirt cheap. How cheap? Slimlines for NINE dollars! SETS for 18!! I declare, how MUCH does he value his time??? What would that work out to (we're talking acrylics here, not wood he picked up off the ground) be if you figured an hourly rate? 15 cents? or less? But his larger pens (cigar & Atlas) were in line with ours, while his flat tops were a whopping 15 bucks. Another crafter said he lived alone, went for days w/o talking to anybody & he loved doing the shows just to get to talk to someone. Yes, that makes me feel for him--but I STILL think he should value his time just a WEE bit! Perhaps he thinks no one would spend over ten bucks for a 'thin pen', yet he had $40 or so on the others. He also had keyrings for FOUR dollars and compartment keyrings for 6 or 7. But, even with his low prices, we still did ok, just not what we had hoped for a 3 day show.

I would think your main problem with this show, was that it was a small RV show, not geared for any crafts at all-- or at least it seems like it may have been an 'after thought'? Was it a show IN an RV park, or a show that sells RVs? I guarantee you'll have good sales at the next show-- the sheer numbers are in your favor! And DON"T lower your prices-- keep them at what you feel is right. "Perception of Value" is something Mike has learned from IAP. Be friendly, ready to show someone how the pen works, how to refill, etc etc. Mike even kept samples of refills at the back of the table for pens & perfume applicators to show customers how it 'works'. For those more interested in the wood itself, he had more detail as to how he finished them, how long the process to 'cure' and such was, etc etc.

Keep us posted on the next show. When is it? is it indoors or outdoors? Our next one is in Dec- our first INDOOR show lol And I'm like you-- I wish we had more 'new' stuff--but we're alreayd taking notes for NExT fall as to what we'll add! GOOD LUCK BEV!!!!!!!!!!

Bev, I hate you had the bad experience. I have only had 2 shows & got the same thing. I did sell enough to make a small profit but would not make minimum wage for my time. I have also noticed that there are craft shows which are for folks with deep pockets and then there are shows for folks looking for flea market items. I learned this from other crafters at my 1st show. One person told me that we have several events in the same town bt one is a connected to a well-attended event & the other is not. The event brings folks from all over hte world w/ money the other is a local event. Do a little research and go to some of the events, talk with other vendors before you cough up your hard earned money to buy a spot.
This past weekend I was chewed out by a dear lady who thought everyone's prices were too high. Everything there was handcrafted items but she was expecting cheap stuff to buy as gifts for Christmas. I told her I was sorry that she felt that way, & she just left in a huff. God had His hand over my big mouth or I would have given her directions to the local flea markets. I refuse to sell my products at less than they are worth, because of the blood, sweat & tears that go into each one of them. I would rather give them to family & friends for nothing.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Pastor Bill,

I admire your ability to keep quiet to the "interesting" woman (I doubt she was a lady!) you encountered. Perhaps you could have a few pages from the local paper listing garage sales to pass out to people like that as a public service. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom