I'm going flocking crazy.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Decided to make Mahogany presentation boxes for my holiday gifts and I want to flock the insides. I was planning on using carved XPS (extruded polystyrene) instead of wood for the carved inserts. It's relatively inexpensive and super easy to carve. Now, for all the questions.

I finally figured out that Donjer changed their name to Flock It. I discovered that they sell both nylon and rayon fibers. They give a good description of the difference between the fibers, but I would welcome input from anyone who has used them. Seems like Rayon might be the better choice for a box interior. Ease of application and ability to achieve a flawless result is my primary concern.

Anybody know what the solvents are in the flocking adhesive? I couldn't figure it out from the MSDS and there is no point in getting a head start in carving the inserts if the adhesive will melt the XPS.

Seems logical that you would use the same color adhesive as the flocking fiber. Anybody try different color adhesive and fiber and like the result?

I'm increasingly finding Amazon a poor choice (prices often higher, quality often questionable (counterfeits, what's delivered is often inferior to what was advertised, used products sold as new.....). They are out for this order.

Rockler has competitive prices and free shipping, but don't give much information on the source of fiber / adhesive. Anyone with experience?

Direct from Flock It (aka Donjer) is about 20% more than Rockler because of the shipping charges, but it seems like it might be the freshest and I would know what I was getting.

Anyone have a better source for quality flocking materials?

Ed

jttheclockman

Hello Ed

I will give you my take and experience. I use to buy from Donjer and in fact was the only one I trusted. But now just about all supply companies carry the same product. I bought a huge supply from Peachtree at the beginning of the year and basically because they had the colors I wanted. www.ptreeusa.com/finish_flocking.htm

You ask many questions that are all spelled out in the Donjer or Flock it site. Nylon is made for out doors and is waterproof, and Rayon is softer indoor stuff.
The adhesives is basically paints weather oil based or water based. The paint is a thick mix to have the fibers adhere to it when it dries.

I use the product Suede Tex. Same thing but different names because I guess of owner change. This material uses the oil base adhesive and I highly highly recommend using the recommended adhesive and stay away from experimenting with different paints for adhesives. This is a final step in a finished product so why screw with that. You can get Suede Tex in either nylon or rayon. I choose the Rayon.

Soft Flock is a rayon but uses a clear adhesive and you need to paint the background whatever color you choose ahead of time. With Suede Tex the color is in the adhesive and basically limited to whatever color matches the flocking. Can not interchange adhesives.

You need to seal the wood before any flocking is done no matter what product you use. I do that with shellac. A couple coats and let dry well. You need a applicator and again I choose to use their cardboard applicator because it is designed for this and works real well. Again why reinvent the wheel. They are no expensive at all and last forever. Get a couple and do not have to change colors if doing more than one color. The keys to a good flocking job is prep work and have all materials ready and do it once and walk away. No reapplying because it does not look good. Need to coat the project very well with the adhesive and do not do in sections. Try to do an entire area where you do not have seams. They will show. Work quickly but efficiently. And the big one is when you think you have enough flocking on, add more. There is no such thing as too much when it comes to flocking. Work with a dust mask. I put paper under the project so that I catch excess and can pour right back in the bag. Let the project dry for a couple days in good temps. Then just dump excess out onto paper and again pour back in the bag for next time. No loses. After cleaning let dry for an additional day or two before you store things on it. It actually is a tough finish when done right. and looks good. I have done this on the 2 pen boxes I made recently and love the way they came out.. Good luck and if you have any more questions I can help with let me know. I am sure others will chime in too.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f332/rack-em-up-146593/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f332/piano-pen-box-153784/

Ed McDonnell

John - Thanks for the link to peachtree. Best price and reasonable shipping charges. I ordered the 1lb bag of fibers and the 8oz can of adhesive. That should be enough to do my project.

I found a tutorial on the flock-it website. That combined with your tips should give me a big head start. Thanks!

Ed

jttheclockman

John - Thanks for the link to peachtree. Best price and reasonable shipping charges. I ordered the 1lb bag of fibers and the 8oz can of adhesive. That should be enough to do my project.

I found a tutorial on the flock-it website. That combined with your tips should give me a big head start. Thanks!

Ed

I buy the 1 lb bags too and it is alot of material. Remember to store in dry location and always work in a dry location. Peachtree has a video and instruction PDF right on that same page. It is actually quite simple. Remember more is better. Smooth brush strokes and do not clump when initially spraying on. Good luck.

Top Bottom