I'm Back!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

I'm sure nobody noticed I was gone! I had a thoroughly penturning vacation! I started by flying over some of the best hardwood forests in the USA, stopping once in Georgia, and again in Miami. We took a little boat ride and examined some tropical hardwoods on the north shore of Haiti. I was able to purchase several fine pieces of turning stock in Jamaica, but I can't figure out why they carved them first? There was not much in the way of wood on Grand Cayman, but every vacation should include a trip to Hell (and hopefully a return from there!). Our next stop was along the coast of Mexico to pursue the possibility of obtaining some of the wood from trees downed by Hurricaine Wilma. Along the way I had an opportunity to wonder about the turning properties of things such as decks, railings and other furnishings. Back in Miami we took a trip to the Everglades, and I became excited when I saw medium sized logs at the edge of the water. I though, oh boy - spalting! Unfortunately they were just aligators. Then we flew over some more hardwood forests, and are now home, wondering if I should have tried harder to find a way to sneak my mini-lathe past airport security!

Happy turnings to you all!

Scott. [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

Scott,
sounds like you had a blast. But why didn't you get those gators? Cook the meat (very tasty) and turn the bones, you could even use the teeth as finials on the pens [:D][:D][:D]

Ryan

Randy_

How big a lathe do you need to turn an alligator!![:D]

Yeah......don't bother with the comment that "VERY" long handled tools are a must for this kind of work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom