If you kill rattlesnakes for pens.... - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 1

All these snake stories reminded me, when I was about 9 or 10 we lived in West Texas on a cotton farm... my dad killed a King snake in the cellar and tore the cellar apart looking for the other 'cause Mom said she wasn't going back in there until he found it...that was where all the canned goods that she had put up were stored. Don't remember if he found the other one or not, but he said for me to take the dead one off to the windrow/wind break... a line of trees planted around the fields to break the wind.... I had him/it on a shovel and started up the road to the tree line.... I don't know if I jiggled the shovel or the snake spasm'd or what, but he slid off the shovel.... he/it got buried right in the middle of the road, I dug a hole and raked it in and covered it with the sand... I wasn't going to try to get him back on the shovel.... as I said, I'm a wuss about snakes... they may not hurt me, but they can sure make me hurt myself..

All this wussy started when I was about 4 and we were living on Grandpa's old farm... we had a log barn and wild game chickens that would only nest up high... the nest boxes were above my dad's hat on his 6'2" frame and way above mom's reach... dad was gathering eggs on evening with me tagging along when what we always called a chicken snake (probably a bull snake) came slithering out of the nest and down Dad's arm and into the crack between the logs into a corn crib... Dad stepped back and stabbed with his pitchfork and caught the snake a short distance from his tail.... the snake struck back at him.... the part not impaled was almost as long as the pitchfork handle... Dad had mom hold the end of the pitchfork so he could reach the other end of the snake and get a hold on it's tail... he then cracked it like a whip and snapped the head off.... I had nightmares about that snake chasing me to the house for a few years after that... I won't get near a snake, I won't touch one and I don't want to ever make a pen from a snake skin wrapped tube.

WUSSY

If you look for trouble, it will find you!

Last edited by TellicoTurning; 06-12-2018 at 06:16 PM.
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Yea but they are sure good to eat (rattlesnakes). My wife won't cook them for me so I have to eat them raw-yum-yum.

Preston
Old 06-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I saw a fellow in the Florida Keys that had some nasty scars on the calf of his leg. He killed sharks for the jaws to sell to shops in Key West. One turned and sunk his teeth in him. Keep in mind this was over 48 years ago. Not sure what the status of this activity is now.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Not a fan of Rattlesnakes either

Chuck, I don't think I was quite as scarred as you were but I'm no fan of the evil critters.

I had a 4 footer (approximately I never measured) come visit me in my kitchen one cold August afternoon. I grew up in Northern Montana and I've seen snow every month of the year. It wasn't cold enough to snow but it was cold enough that he (she?) wanted to come in and get warm. I was working at a grain elevator and was home for lunch. I had the electric fire hazard, er, space heater going. It was probably 50 degrees outside. I got up to put the sandwich fixins away and I heard this noise. Couldn't figure out what it was. I thought maybe the fan in the heater was having a problem so I bent down to shut it off. I stood back up and moved to the table to get my plate and take it to the kitchen sink. I heard the noise again...coming from the direction of the sink.

I looked and there directly in front of the sink, perhaps 6 feet from me was a rattlesnake coiled up and rattlin' like crazy. Pur-ty evil lookin critter. ~shiver~

I ended up wounding him, he crawled under the cabinets, I ended up prying up the base (while he was striking at me) until I had enough space to use an ice scraper on him.
After he was dead, I used a very long screwdriver to load him onto the handle of the ice scraper and then took him outside.

I did not keep any part of it, not even the rattle. It was a company house, provided at no cost by the company I worked for. I was getting ready to go to college. I took all of my stuff out of there that night and never went back.

After reading this, I guess I'm even more fortunate that he didn't strike me after I "killed" it. I know I've needed a lot of luck to get to the age I've attained. That's certainly not the only hairy situation I've been in. Most of them have been caused by lack of sense, this one, well, just one of those things.

A man (or woman) is only as good as his(her) word.
mdburn_em is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

My uncle was bit by a copperhead years ago... What this poor fellow is about to find out (if he hasn't already) is that pit viper antivenom is absurdly expensive. I think he (my uncle) had to have 10 doses of the stuff, and the hospital sent his insurance a bill to the tune of $150,000... who, naturally, declined to cover the charge. Took him weeks to get everyone to a final cost to settle at. Kinda floors me how much the US medical industry will charge for things without giving you a quote, cost estimate, warning, etc...
thawkins87 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Big

Sadly, I graduated at the top of my class from the "Scream like an 8 yr. old girl" with regard to snakes. I even have nightmares about them. Although, I did eat rattlesnake meat while stationed in Texas while in the Air Force. Wasn't too bad actually. I don't mind snakes if I run into them as long as I have at a minimum, an AK47, then I'm good.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads