If I Had a Nickel For Every Time I ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

have been asked 'How long does it take you to make a pen?" Invariably at least a dozen times each show. I always respond that if it is a simple pen I am capable of making one inside of thirty minutes, but that I don't. I don't like to rush and I take my time.

I imagine this question is commonplace. What are your answers?

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I don't give a straight answer. I tell them I don't know because I don't make them start to finish straight through. I neeed to spend time getting the wood, cutting, wait for glue to cure, for finishes to cure etc. Etc. Etc. If you give them an answer they will translate that into how much you are making per hour and think you are over charging them.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I include my set up time and overnight wait for curing time. I don't just put a thin coat of CA or lacquer or other. A good finish requires curing time even though it can be handled in minutes or an hour, depending on the finish.

ManuPropria uses Urushi finish (Japanese) and I think each pen takes about 30 days start to finish with "curing" time.

Be that as it is, I have read of a few people here in the past who don't count their "time" as part of the cost! :eek:

And, for those that make a living by making and selling pens, time is very important. A few of these guys (ladies too) can make a pen with a great finish in a short time, maybe two or three an hour in mass production. That is not me. I enjoy the journey of making each pen.

Last edited:

gtriever

I tell them that normally it takes anywhere from 2 days to a week depending on the pen, and that some may take longer. (I count the total length of time from cutting the blank, painting, dry time, glueup, dry time... you know how it is.)

SteveG

Handing a mid-complex pen to the inquiring customer...

"Crafting a fine pen such as this involves many steps, and each of those steps must be just right. It is a process that spans at least two days, but often more. With my years of experience, I have refined that process, but on occasion there is a pen that just does not make the cut. Those will never be presented in my display.

edicehouse

I had this one woman, very rude. Any time someone came up to my table while she was there, she would tell them do you believe he is charging such and such for a pen. But she was there for an hour or what seemed like it asking questions about just about every pen on the table. And she chastised another person, and she finally get to the How long does it take, and I told her longer than she has been a pain in my arse. A friend heard me and he started laughing. Needless to say she left.... The person organizing the event thanked me for doing that.

WriteON

have been asked 'How long does it take you to make a pen?" Invariably at least a dozen times each show. I always respond that if it is a simple pen I am capable of making one inside of thirty minutes, but that I don't. I don't like to rush and I take my time.

John

The question is reasonable and I think it is asked out of curiosity. I learned to say a few days or I make one pen a week and it is done in stages. Most of the time involved is finishing.
I started to realize they thought I handcrafted the hardware. I might explain the components are purchased separately and assembled to a hand turned blank.
The lowest form of question is How Much does it cost to make one. I scratch my head slightly and reply...that's hard to pinpoint as I have thousands of dollars of equipment & materials.

Last edited:

Jim Smith

I usually smile and ask them "How much does a car cost?" When they look at me with a question in their eyes and say something like "That all depends on what kind of car you buy." I then tell them that it is much the same with pen making. A simple pen can take as little as an hour not counting the time required for paints/glue to dry, where a more complex pen can take many hours. That seems to work better than the old answer of "That depends."

Jim Smith

John

John,
You know I don't make pens anymore, but get the same question about my bowls... "How long does it take you to make a bowl?"... I usually tell them a week... about 1 hour to do the turning, then 5-7 days to do the finish....

Thing I want to learn though is how do I spend the "Sure is purty"... if I can learn to turn those into cash I can re-retire and take life easy....:biggrin:

reddwil

I always answer "it depends".

It Depends, on what you want, who you are, how you act. how picky your being, if I like you, if i feel like doing it, how cold it is in the shop.....the list goes on and on!

Top Bottom