IAP Forum "Views #" this week

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK, so I was bored!

I have recently been establishing an "Ohio IAP roster" of registered members for the purpose of inviting members for our meetings, etc.

And so I have been playing with the search function (and tabs) in the "Members List."

These figures are not exact, I can only use one arm right now (my wife's cat is sleeping on the other - Cat likes me better :cat:!)

Within a few for each day:

Today (by 9:00 PM): 444 different IAP members logged on.

12/2/16-12/1/16: 633 different IAP members logged on.

12/2/16-11/30/16: 727 different IAP members logged on.

12/2/16-11/29/16: 814 different IAP members logged on.

12/2/16-11/28/16: 891 different IAP members logged on.

12/2/16-11/27/16: 966 different IAP members logged on.

12/2/16-11/26/16: 1021 different IAP members logged on.

This is simply a "fun fact", but maybe a topic for discussion.

(My Ohio roster is over 110 now).

I found out there is another member who lives 3 miles away, has logged on this week, but has not posted comments for a few years! I will certainly be reaching out to him to visit with the Ohio folks whenever it is convenient for him.

Comments and discussion are welcomed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
More fun facts:

1044 unique members have logged on within the last 14 days.

2791 unique IP addresses have visited in the last 14 days.

CREID

These are pretty cool facts.
Dare I assume that if 1044 unique members logged on in the last 14 days, and 2791 unique IP addresses have visited, that somewhere in the vicinity of 1700 non members visited the site? Keeping in mind that some members may be logging in from more than one IP address.

TimS124

When I'm traveling, I'll sometimes lurk from my phone or iPad and it's not always logged in. So once in a while, some of the non-members actually are members.... :)

campzeke

Has anyone thought of making your city, state and zip code mandatory fields when registering. That would make it easier to reach out to others nearby. Possibly at some point require existing members to enter the same information before allowing continued access.

campzeke

Those things are silly to mandate. You have all that already on connections with geoip. Every connection has that. Even as guest.

What is geoip and how is it used? Personally I have never heard of it but I believe most of us are familiar with city, state and zip codes and ... if it shows up in with your profile info at the left (as mine does) it is very easy to see if someone lives nearby.

Last edited:

edstreet

IAP Forum "Views #" this week

IP addresses are logged. Geoip does a database Lookup. You know the isp, city, state, zip, neighborhood and often the house number.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone thought of making your city, state and zip code mandatory fields when registering. That would make it easier to reach out to others nearby. Possibly at some point require existing members to enter the same information before allowing continued access.

I appreciate the suggestion. That's been brought up several times over the years. I consider that to be private information that should be volunteered, not required. We have >1000 users who have volunteered that data for the Member Map.

Collecting that kind of data for a site like ours doesn't go over well with user communities. This is discussed occasionally at one of the big board admin sites I frequent, and requiring it has killed more than one site.

bobleibo

Mark
It's not a case of boredom, it's a case of great minds think alike (yeah, let's go with that, you should be worried).
A few days ago I noticed something that seemed unique on the home page..
- every "last post" was by the same member (howsitwork)
- every "forum section" was "Introductions" except for 1 (Go Edgar!)
so I took a screen shot knowing that it would become a very important piece of highly classified IAP documentation (geez, I am way too easily entertained, something is wrong with me :frown:)
Anyway, here you go....

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 139

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Rick: My interest was to be able to PM "active" Ohio IAP members to give them an open invite to attend our December potluck, as well as our meetings in Hartville.

Through the options available (in the Members List), I was able to easily have a list of the Ohio IAP members, and when they last "viewed" on the forum.

Of the 400+ Ohio members, over 100 have been active (more or less) this year; and I can easily see when they last visited.

While many do not have exact towns listed, for my purposes (To simply send a polite invitation 2-3 times a year) the available functions are great!

In Ohio, we meet in a location North-East Central, that is a long haul for some folks, but it is still nice to get an invite for those that are occasionally active on the site. We have a wonderfully loyal core group of 5-10 members, and another 5-10 that rotate in and out. BUT it would be awesome to get another 5-10 to attend; and I believe this will work. Sometimes, just a simple invite works.

Top Bottom