I went through this beauty yesterday

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I felt it necessary to share some photos. One of MANY things that got my attention, was a stencil just above the rabbit hole. It said, "Maximum crew weight 1200 lbs." There were 10 crewmen on these planes.

Attachments

• DSCF0205.jpg
    DSCF0205.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCF0207.jpg
    DSCF0207.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCF0206.jpg
    DSCF0206.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCF0210.jpg
    DSCF0210.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF0211.jpg
    DSCF0211.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

That's awesome Chuck! Was this at an air show? Did they have any other vintage planes? Obviously airmen are skinnier than I......

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That's awesome Chuck! Was this at an air show? Did they have any other vintage planes? Obviously airmen are skinnier than I......
Thanks Derek! This was the only plane from the Confederate Air Force. It's at the Greenwood airport, just south of Indy. It leaves Friday morning, bound for Youngstown, Ohio. There's a place in there that's a really tight squeeze to get through :redface:
Totally awesome !! . Your a lucky guy, Chuck !!
Thanks Mal. One item marked off the Bucket List!:wink:

Wish I could of made it up to see that Beauty!!
Yeah, an extra set of eyes would have been good. I'm sure I didn't see every feature on this bird. It is awesome.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Inside!

Attachments

• DSCF0212.jpg
    DSCF0212.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF0216.jpg
    DSCF0216.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF0217.jpg
    DSCF0217.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF0219.jpg
    DSCF0219.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF0220.jpg
    DSCF0220.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 101

MTViper

Visited the War Eagles Museum just across the state line from El Paso in New Mexico this morning. What a great museum!!! Most of the aircraft are WWII vintage. A few are Korean and Vietnam eras. Everything looks like it just came off the factory floor. Paint jobs are impeccable. At least 4 of them are flyable and fly occasionally. The curator said more would fly if they had money for insurance and qualified pilots. I had some experience in/with some of the Vietnam era aircraft and got to tell my grandson some nice war stories. Great walk down memory lane. If you're visiting or passing through El Paso, stop and see. It's really worth your time.

sbwertz

The Aluminum Overcast B-17 comes to Phoenix every couple of years and flies out of Deer Valley airport about 2 miles from our house. They let veterans go through her for free. (I had to produce my paperwork to convince them I was a vet, though!)

They give rides in her as well, but I've never had a chance to fly in her. We did go down the morning she left and were allowed to stand out on the end of the runway, just a few feet from her as she took off. What a thrill.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/flight-experiences/aluminum-overcast-eaa-b-17-bomber-tour

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
The Aluminum Overcast B-17 comes to Phoenix every couple of years and flies out of Deer Valley airport about 2 miles from our house. They let veterans go through her for free. (I had to produce my paperwork to convince them I was a vet, though!)

They give rides in her as well, but I've never had a chance to fly in her. We did go down the morning she left and were allowed to stand out on the end of the runway, just a few feet from her as she took off. What a thrill.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/flight-experiences/aluminum-overcast-eaa-b-17-bomber-tour
Thanks for the link Sharon. This plane has an admission fee of $10.00 (less for kids) and $475.00 for a flight. I got the T-shirt :biggrin:

if it could only talk.....the stories it could tell us.
Great bit of history there. Lucky you Chuck.
Thanks Wayne. Yep, right place...right time! :biggrin:

Top Bottom