I think I must have a problem...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

Yes more ornaments. These are the ones I figured I'd go ahead and assemble, there are more still sitting on my bench.
First is a bubinga with black limba birdhouse ornament.
2005111842152_bubinga-blk_limba_birdhouse.jpg

Next is bubinga with maple finials.
2005111842318_bubinga-maple_ornament.jpg

Then we have a bell with maple and walnut handle and "knocker".
2005111842447_maple-walnut_bell.jpg

Last is a maple and black limba ornament.
200511184263_maple-blk_limba_ornament.jpg

The maple and bubinga are from BigRob. Other wood is stuff I had around.
Comments welcome.
Sorry about the photography, I really need to get something set-up for that.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

Those are nice ornaments, Kevin! I really like the birdhouse, and would like to do a few myself. Question: What size eyelet is that?

Rather than buy the kit from CSU, I'll just buy their cute little birds and a pack of eyelets, and use the wood I already have. But CSU sells small & large eyelets, so I'm not too sure which to buy. Heck, I might just go to Lowes instead if the eyelet is a standard size.

BigRob777

Kevin,
Those are really nice. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to turn the perch on the bird house. You definately have skill that is way beyond me. Thanks for the e-mail and plug. I wish I had time to turn ornaments, but I will hopefully get a chance to do at least one for our tree (light wood for tree-hanging). I am going to turn them without a kit either and CA them together. I'll use a 2" square and use pen blanks for the finials. I have been commissioned to turn 6 pens, which is more pens than I have done to date. I'm trading them for my friend's building a rainwater run-off system around my home. He's also building a walkway over top of some of it with those home depot concrete pavers. The pens are averaging $30.00 (trading value) for mostly cigars.

Ron, you can use some of the pen blanks I sent you for this (see my idea above). If you need any turning squares, let me know.

Thanks,
Rob

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I know this question was directed to Kevin, but wanted to share the link to where I found nice prices on the eyelets.

http://www.howee.com/shop/index.php?action=item&id=499

Very nice ornaments by the way..!![:)]

Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br />Those are nice ornaments, Kevin! I really like the birdhouse, and would like to do a few myself. Question: What size eyelet is that?

Rather than buy the kit from CSU, I'll just buy their cute little birds and a pack of eyelets, and use the wood I already have. But CSU sells small & large eyelets, so I'm not too sure which to buy. Heck, I might just go to Lowes instead if the eyelet is a standard size.

dubdrvrkev

Thanks everyone.
Ron,
I have been using 216 1/2 eyelets from HD. I'd say get as small as you can find. In hard woods I drill 1/16" pilot hole for the eyelets because I did break one off turning it in.

Rob,
That is what I use for parts but I use some 5 min epoxy to assemble them. There are lots of tutorials on how to hollow the bulbs. The perch is 3/32" where it goes into the body and a little bigger on the outside of the bead, and yes I have broken a few of them while turning them.

The birdhouses are a lot easier to hollow, I use a 1.25" forstner and turn the outside to 1.5". In the roof just turn a small recess that the body slips into. Just be sure to drill the entry and perch holes before you hollow it so you don't blow out on the inside.

Thanks for the link John, I have been looking for some small brass eyes. That is a lot better price than HD also, I'll have to look into what shipping is, and see how the sizes compare. IIRC the 216 1/2 was just shorter than the 216, but I haven't seen the 217 but I suppose its got to be close in size.

Tea Clipper

Thanks Kevin for the eyelet info, next time I'm in Lowes I'll take a look.

Thanks John for the link too, but like Kevin said; the $6 shipping isn't helping...

Rob, I have wood leftover from turning pocketwatches but yes, when I need more you're on the top of my list!

Thanks everybody,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom