I Start Working Monday again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

I guess I restart working Monday. I'm going back to training truck drivers for better fuel mileage. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said "Sure, I'll do it".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

I guess what the bad part is. is the driver is always upset about someone in HIS truck trying to tell HIM what to do. I did this a few years ago, and the fleet fuel savings was about $2500.00 per week. It's just a territory issue , I think.

workinforwood

I guess what the bad part is. is the driver is always upset about someone in HIS truck trying to tell HIM what to do. I did this a few years ago, and the fleet fuel savings was about $2500.00 per week. It's just a territory issue , I think.

Nah..it's a you are taking money out of "my" pocket thing. Most of how to save fuel is common sense, but most drivers are paid by the mile so to take it more easy in the city and on the highway means the driver makes less money. You want drivers to save fuel, pay them by the hour, they'll slow right down and the take offs from stop lights and signs will be smoother than a baby's behind! :biggrin: Me..I drive hourly, so I drive the speed limit, I take off nice and easy, drive easy through town, use the cruise control all the time, because if I hurry I am taking money out of my pocket now as I would work less hours if I speed around. Also, not only does driving to save the company fuel cost most drivers money, but most companies also could care less about the drivers, so why would the driver care about your fuel bill? Unless monitored on GPS all day long and threatened with your job constantly, you'd say heck with it all, gee, even then if I was in that position I'd leave and go elsewhere no problem. And..if they are going to monitor you all day long, they have to hire someone to do so, and there goes most of your savings on fuel. So...I'm sure glad I don't have your job having to deal with us drivers! Wearing one of those boxing face protectors could be a good idea. :)

randywa

Jeff, I know what you're saying. I drove for 14 years until I married the secretary. I told the owner that the only way I would do this was if he set up a fuel bonus program for the drivers. No play if theres no pay. He finally agreed.

workinforwood

Speak of the devil, I come in to work and have skirts on my trailer! These will be great in the crosswinds especially in the winter. When the roads get icy I'll have the strongest clenching butt cheeks on the planet!

randywa

There's nothing like a parachute dragging you sideways. You'll have to let me know if you're fuel mileage doubles.

workinforwood

I got a sheet here I'm supposed to fill out to see what the savings are by entering mileages and fueling. I could be wrong but I don't know how you prove anything except with long term study before and after. I keep track for 3 months, whippy! The weights are always different as are winds so in 3 months I don't see how u tell. And what aboust cost of skirts and install and they will get smashed eventually due to where I drive. I don't spend all my time on highways, I'm mostly on backroads, city roads and commercial parking lots, its not driving for the timid. I do most my damage hitting low trees but I do have curbs and crazy driveways to maneuver too. Should be interesting. I can definitely see its a good idea for highway use in the south just not sure about cities up north.

randywa

I can't see the payoff if it's not high speed interstate use. I've heard 10% gain, but that wasn't in town I bet.

workinforwood

Have you seen those huge trailer tails that are fiberglass and hang 4 foot past the back doors? Talk about rediculous looking! You have to unlatch and fold them to open doors. Back in somewhere forgetting those exist will cost some money. I understand nothing anymore, just shut up and drive, no raise for you.

Top Bottom