I need work .....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

What can I do to earn money?

I love SSR's and there is one for sale nearby but do not have the cash. Credit score is very good.

I need ideas to pursue.
:)

I thought about becoming a walmart greeter. Impediments are: limited walking distance, eyesight poor, hearing poor, pacemaker, total knee replacement, titanium rod on right ankle. :rolleyes: Love to drive but it is best that I not for any distance.

Now then the good stuff: great attitude, great smile, love people, can talk, does well with math, short term memory fair to good, desire and old fashion work ethics. :biggrin: I can work weekends, do not need medical coverage. Good 'till about 7 p.m. and can get up early.

A toll booth operator would be nice but they want you to work full time and when they want you to work. Giving directions at a hospital reception area seems like fun but the auxiliary has that covered. AARP does not pay except you can receive tips for sponsoring a driver class to adults. Book keeping would be good. Payroll would be good. One of those guys who drive around in a security truck in the Walmart parking lot would be good. Heck, I could fry and hamburger if it could be done sitting down.

I use to make good money selling pens but that was in a high traffic area and shows are out because of the limited walking issue.

I even thought about going down to the corner Jack in the Box where there is a green area and setting up a tent near the drive through until I got chased out.

Ideas, there has to be something out there that I can do.

I do ot mind you havng fun with this request. Have at it.

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

John,

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do for your career before you retired? I retired early from a major airline and started my own consulting business. That was 13 years ago now and I've been as busy as I want to be and then some. The money has been very good and 95% of my work is done from my house. You would be surprised how valuable your knowledge and experience can be, especially if you have technical or regulatory knowledge or experience. If that is not a viable option for you, what about Starbucks? or even a greeter at a nice restaurant? Or, are there any woodworking or sporting goods stores near you. Again, they love to hire retirees because we're typically much more dependable and mature than the younger people they hire. Just a couple of thoughts... Best of luck!

Jim Smith

KenV

Thought about becoming a pro panhandler?? On the right spot, it can pay well. Only bad side is that I am told it gets hot in the sun in Texas.

Paul in OKC

Most Walmart greeters around here sit on a stool. How about a mall kiosk that sells drones :). That would be fun. Although I have yet to keep my son's off the ground and stable for more than 2.5 seconds! Might be fun to watch people scatter from an out of control flyer!

edicehouse

Are there a lot of amusement parks in Houston (I honestly don't know)? I go to Busch Gardens a lot when it is open here, and they have the people that work the booths for going into the parking lot, that may be something you could consider.

SteveJ

The Camaro SS RS is a beautiful car - I assume that is the SSR you are speaking of. Making enough money quick enough to get your hands on one for sale at the moment may be a challenge. You could consider carrying a large open handbag to local craft shows and reselling what you pick up there...see this thread for inspiration.

On a more serious note, as a retired banker you may find that you could get on part time with a financial consulting or planning firm When I counsel people who are strapped financially I often encourage that instead of seeking an additional was of earning more they focus on reducing expenses.

But to come up with a large sum quickly you will probably have to do something like decide which you like more, your lathe or your dream car...

Charlie_W

Attachments

• IMG_9868.jpg
    IMG_9868.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_9867.jpg
    IMG_9867.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 100

TonyL

Only you know what is right for you, but here is the advice I give many of the folks, good friends, family etc. I tell them, be less concerned about finding "THE" job, but secure "A "job (as long as you are comfortable do it). All are much more employable while working, have the opportunity to meet others, earn some money, and have a place to go. I am not telling you to do this...I am just telling you what I tell my friends, etc. that ask. Much success in your pursuits. I am a CPA, but have a background in HR and recruiting as well.

Jgrden

A Chevy SSR is similar to a Elcamino. 2 door car/pickup.

Like these!

I have owned three of these. Asphalt Black Slingshot Yellow and Teal. Sold the first one to pay medical bills. :cool: :island:Sold second one because it would be sinful to expose it to mountain driving, snow, salt, etc. Sold the third one to buy a house. House was more important. :present:

Jgrden

Keep the ideas coming. I found some good ones. R member, cannot be responsible for driving. Itis risky. So why am I wanting another SSR. I don't care if it just sits in my drive way - I want it.

Jgrden

I bought a ton of these courses..for about 10 to 15 each. 30 day, money back guarantee, and lifetime access. I either taught myself new skills or greatly improved the ones I had. https://www.udemy.com/courses/

Back ground as a CPA, in HR plus courses. My dream, while living in Ojai, Ca. was to become a CPA, but got steered off course somehow.
Attended Cues ta College and Cal State San Luis Obispo No degree, just allot of courses. y other dream, which came close to fruition, was mortgage banking. I got as far as mortgage brokering and FHA approval when the need to end self employment and find something with benefits to cover the family. As you know, keeping those friggin' credits and units up to date is time consuming and expensive. I would enjoy the opportunity to do it again.

Oh well, that is probably more than you wanted to know. Thank you for your help.

John

Woodchipper

FYI and a bit off topic- a friend is a CPA. He said the letters stood for- Can't Pass Again.
Good luck in your job search.

TonyL

I bought a ton of these courses..for about 10 to 15 each. 30 day, money back guarantee, and lifetime access. I either taught myself new skills or greatly improved the ones I had. https://www.udemy.com/courses/

Back ground as a CPA, in HR plus courses. My dream, while living in Ojai, Ca. was to become a CPA, but got steered off course somehow.
Attended Cues ta College and Cal State San Luis Obispo No degree, just allot of courses. y other dream, which came close to fruition, was mortgage banking. I got as far as mortgage brokering and FHA approval when the need to end self employment and find something with benefits to cover the family. As you know, keeping those friggin' credits and units up to date is time consuming and expensive. I would enjoy the opportunity to do it again.

Oh well, that is probably more than you wanted to know. Thank you for your help.

John

My dream was to become anything but a CPA. I was offered several college baseball scholarships and had scouts blowing smoke in my cup for 3 years. Arm injury (pitcher), some wacky coaches and was offered a contract, but not drafted (did play in the Cape League thru the Dodgers). Any way it pays the bills and I can always find work. I love taking naps, pen tuning, taking naps, guitar playing, and did I mention taking naps?

Top Bottom