I need to vent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mindpirate

I just need to vent to some people who will understand. I just had a really beautiful piece of snakewood that I was turning a classic fountain pen with, and it must of cracked or something. Half of the barrel just tore out, running the length of the barrel. My tools are sharp and I don't think I gouged it out or anything. I have had similar things happen when I make a mistake or work a little too aggressively or even when I don't glue something up properly but I just don't understand this one.

It's frustrating because the was one of the last pens to turn for inventory for a show this weekend.

Thanks for listening,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwilki

I can feel your pain, Ben. Snakewood, as you likely already knew, is very unforgiving of heat. If it got at all hot when drilling, it will crack at some point later in the process. I've had some success with it, but making a pen with it is a long, very slow process.

propencity

Even as beautiful a wood as snakewood, I don't think I will ever use a whole piece as primary blank for a pen; maybe as a segment. Even if one is successful in completing a pen with snakewood, good chance it will develop a crack down the road due to heat/temp/climate. I have had 2 completed pens that turned out beautifully only to crack within a year.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Snakewood cracking has been around since making pens from snakewood began. On rare occasion, someone will not have problems with snakewood. I have made a few that did not crack and I have had some that did.

Don't think that the cracking is because of lack of skill, and don't think that a person's high skill level can prevent it.

Don't let it get hot in drilling it. Drill a 1/4 to 1/2 inch and let it rest for an hour or so, then another small amount, and so on. LOTS of info on this going back 5 or 6 years here.

mindpirate

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and the advice. Now I know some new tips when I do try snakewood again. Hank your Signature is very fitting for this experience.

aerosupra

I made myself a snakewood pen a few months ago, first blank blew up on the drill press...second blank made a gougerous pen...took it to work and it cracked within a week because this office is so dry...I feel your pain.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I've made snakewood pens that have cracked. I was careful drilling and sanding not to generate any heat and some still cracked.
The last one I worked on I drilled, let sit for a month, checked it and had to re-drill. I had to do this twice. After making sure it wasn't going to move any more I turned it and it hasn't cracked. Any I make in the future I'll do the same way.

its_virgil

I never assemble a snakewood pen until both barrels have cracked. Sometimes this happens quickly and other times is takes several weeks. Yes, I want them to crack so I can repair the crack. I have made several snakewood pens this way and none have cracked a second time. The repaired crack is practically invisible. A cracked and repaired snakewood pen is often nicer than most any other wood pen. Of course, the snakewood blank needs to be a nice blank to start. I never purchase snakewood blanks unless I can hand pick them...never purchase sight unseen.

A year ago I repaired 4 snakewood pens for a gent from California after he was told (by the orig pen maker) that snakewood just cracks and nothing can be done to fix them. He has purchased several from me since.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Do a good turn daily!
Don

turningfish

I love the looks of snakewood but have been leery of using it. Always afraid the pen would crack after it was sold.

Top Bottom