I need some website help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

I know that there is a website forum, but this isn't pen related, so I figured I'd post it here.

After a bad year career-wise, I've joined my father in his home inspection business. He is ridiculously knowledgeable about construction and is a great inspector, but knows next to nothing about computers/websites. Unfortunately, this is costing him business, because a lot of people will want to look at a website before contracting him to inspect their home. He built a website, but it is awful. It just looks like a poorly laid out Word document. I've never built a website, but I'm sure that I can improve on what he's done. What books or websites would you recommend for me to use to learn some basic web design?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Live2Dive

I bought Namo's Webeditor Pro. It was under $100 bucks, and it is loaded with tons of templates. Just fill in some info and upload the site. I also use Wordpress. There are also TONS of templates that fit so many different themes, but it is more "blog" oriented.

Rick_G

You can check out these guys http://www.coffeecup.com/
I use their software for my site.
Their HTML editor is pretty good and they also have a WYSIWYG editor, I have both but I find the HTML editor easier to use. They also had a book "My website is better than yours" that has some basic info in it. I can't find it on their site now maybe they have dropped it you could always ask. It was available as a PDF download. There are also many free courses on the web, takes some searching but the info is out there. My biggest problem is I am severely graphically challenged, I can make it functional, pretty not so good.

james1725

I agree with the coffee cup editor posted above. Its easy to use and there is a free and paid version. I have used the free version for several years and it has met my needs.

You might look into Allwebco.com for a templet. They have several styles to choose from and its pretty much fill in the blanks. Great support also.

steeler fan1

There was someone on here awhile back offering a prodoct call zencart? I think it was toolcrazy? Sorry this is vague but I'm old ya know:).

Carl

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Another avenue to explore:
I belonged to BNI (Business Networking) for a couple years, here in Racine.

The Realtors and the home inspector (who was in a couple different groups) got to know each other pretty well and the realtors referred a lot of business to him. Not surprisingly, there was also a guy in the group who made websites.

I got little out of my membership, but I don't regret the experience for a year.

May want to look into a networking group in your area.
FWIW, Ed

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I know you didn't ask, but the web site is just the tip of the iceberg.

I have a couple friends in that business and being tech savvy is a must. Digital photos, audio/video of the inspection, on-site payment, are all expected by buyers, and they want it NOW. A lot of times the inspection is in the critical path to get a deal done so being known as a top-shelf inspector AND using the right technology is going to be a huge boost.

Have you dealt with an insurance adjuster lately? They come to the house, do their inspection, then sit in the car for a few minutes and produce their report, hand you a paper copy, cut you a check, and email you a PDF.

bensoelberg

I know you didn't ask, but the web site is just the tip of the iceberg.

I have a couple friends in that business and being tech savvy is a must. Digital photos, audio/video of the inspection, on-site payment, are all expected by buyers, and they want it NOW. A lot of times the inspection is in the critical path to get a deal done so being known as a top-shelf inspector AND using the right technology is going to be a huge boost.

Have you dealt with an insurance adjuster lately? They come to the house, do their inspection, then sit in the car for a few minutes and produce their report, hand you a paper copy, cut you a check, and email you a PDF.

Thanks Jeff. We're getting better in the inspection. We bring a laptop with us with our report program and fill out the report while doing the inspection. (That's where I come in.) We're looking at buying a portable printer to be able to print reports on site, along with a digital signature pad and probably a square up reader for on site payments and contracts.

Thanks for all the help, folks. I'll be checking these out on Monday.

Top Bottom