I need an intervention

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

As was pointed out in another thread, I have been posting a lot of my work lately. I ask myself "Why"? After some self analysis, I have concluded that this a cry for help. My turning addiction has gotten even worse and I am concerned that I might be forever lost. My daughters refuse to talk to me, my dog ignores me even when I have treats, my boss is threatening to fire me, and my wife is on the verge of leaving me- all because of my obsession with turning. Segmented pens, pretty wood pens, acrylic pens, all the stuff you can cast in pen blanks, snakeskins, kitless pens, modified kits, bowls, natural edge bowls, winged bowls, geometric bowls, boxes, mugs, shaving brushes, etc, etc. My head is about to explode with the possibilities. Where oh where does it end? I have gone to the local penturners and wood turners clubs for help. Those guys are the worst kind of pushers, they just offer up new ideas and techniques. I am beginning to think that this forum is populated with enablers who simply offer up new challenges and concepts.

I am desperate, where can I turn for help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

As was pointed out in another thread, I have been posting a lot of my work lately. I ask myself "Why"? After some self analysis, I have concluded that this a cry for help. My turning addiction has gotten even worse and I am concerned that I might be forever lost. My daughters refuse to talk to me, my dog ignores me even when I have treats, my boss is threatening to fire me, and my wife is on the verge of leaving me- all because of my obsession with turning. Segmented pens, pretty wood pens, acrylic pens, all the stuff you can cast in pen blanks, snakeskins, kitless pens, modified kits, bowls, natural edge bowls, winged bowls, geometric bowls, boxes, mugs, shaving brushes, etc, etc. My head is about to explode with the possibilities. Where oh where does it end? I have gone to the local penturners and wood turners clubs for help. Those guys are the worst kind of pushers, they just offer up new ideas and techniques. I am beginning to think that this forum is populated with enablers who simply offer up new challenges and concepts.

Oh boy..! what you need is a holiday with the family and some woman "loving":eek: it does sweeten the heart, so they say...!

You seem to be suffering from a "disease" called, imagination explosion, you want to try everything and ideas keep flowing like a flooded river, on the other hand, you can call yourself a very lucky person, think of those that have no physical and or mental means to put any of their dreams into practice...!:frown:

You may need to organize a trip to come and see me, I'm sure we would work something out about your problem...!:doctor::)

PS: Remember, is always tomorrow if you are lucky...!

Cheers
George

Dan Masshardt

Please it's like you're only addicted to one drug and there are so many more out there.

Take all that and the include all kinds of flat work. Small - cutting boards,boxes etc. big - tables, book cases, desks, dressers.

Now I'm convinced I need to start welding to make metal bases etc for furniture items.

I'm also adding items to my cart to start leather working to make pouches, sheathes etc.

So...tell your family, it could be a lot worse. :)

You are limiting your scope to turning so that you have 'time' for them. Haha

Kenny Durrant

I understand your situation. Like mentioned before it could be worse. I did taxidermy as a hobby before pens. Everytime I passed something dead on the road I slowed down to check it out. Was it something I haven't mounted before or something neat. Then of coarse how long had it been there! Now I just slow down when the neighbors finished trimming tree to see if there's something there I need. Now the only problem I have with roadkill is the bucks with antlers.

jttheclockman

Now imagine you have been away from it for almost 3 years and now you are let back into the shop. Now you know how I feel. While I was away from the shop my mind did not stop working and the total amount of ideas kept coming and now that I started things up again the ideas keep exploding. Saw a pen from Mont Blanc last night that gave me an idea to try so it is on my to do list. But the problem I now have to figure a way to do this so it will take up some thought time. This interferes with other projects going on. It is a problem and I understand your concerns.

Just think though there are those right now who are burnt out from this and have stepped away. I have been there also but we keep coming back. Good luck and enjoy the fruits of your labor.:):)

thewishman

Cody, beware of "helpful" givers-of-advice that recommend getting your family members involved in your turning. Those "friends" will not see the danger and trouble that lies down that path.

Imagine having to share your lathe!!! Then imagine, if you will, adding another lathe to accommodate loved ones. Then their imaginations will kick in and soon you're spending the house payment money.

Suffer in solitude. It's for the best

Cwalker935

Please it's like you're only addicted to one drug and there are so many more out there.

Take all that and the include all kinds of flat work. Small - cutting boards,boxes etc. big - tables, book cases, desks, dressers.

Now I'm convinced I need to start welding to make metal bases etc for furniture items.

I'm also adding items to my cart to start leather working to make pouches, sheathes etc.

So...tell your family, it could be a lot worse. :)

You are limiting your scope to turning so that you have 'time' for them. Haha

Unfortunately, I am itching to do bandsaw boxes and knife making as well.

Cwalker935

Oh boy..! what you need is a holiday with the family and some woman "loving":eek: it does sweeten the heart, so they say...!

You seem to be suffering from a "disease" called, imagination explosion, you want to try everything and ideas keep flowing like a flooded river, on the other hand, you can call yourself a very lucky person, think of those that have no physical and or mental means to put any of their dreams into practice...!:frown:

You may need to organize a trip to come and see me, I'm sure we would work something out about your problem...!:doctor::)

PS: Remember, is always tomorrow if you are lucky...!

Cheers
George

I hope to take a trip to New Zealand and Australia in a year or two, might need some therapy from you then.

WriteON

\ My turning addiction has gotten even worse and I am concerned that I might be forever lost. My daughters refuse to talk to me, my dog ignores me even when I have treats, my boss is threatening to fire me, and my wife is on the verge of leaving me- all because of my obsession with turning.

My wife said she is taking everything and leaving. I will miss my equipment. Don't feel bad...you are not alone. I have more kits on a peg board than I have brains in my head.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hold out just a tad longer! Your are almost at the point of morphing into a "WOODWORKER/PEN TURNER EXTRAORDINAIRE" Listen for the drum rolls. I can hear them from here!

Brian G

My daughters refuse to talk to me, my dog ignores me even when I have treats, my boss is threatening to fire me, and my wife is on the verge of leaving me- all because of my obsession with turning.

Cody, Cody, Cody. . . you're going about this all wrong. Here's some good advice.

I recall (and found the thread) where you lamented having to participate in wedding planning for your two daughters, one of whom is a fantastic teacher. Plus, you said that your wife was not pleased with your assistance.

You have an out, man!

It might be a little painful for you, but spend the next week letting them know you recognize you've been a little distant and have spent too much time in the shop. Constantly offer helpful suggestions for wedding ideas and designs for all of the puffery and trimmings, do searches for photographers and offer ideas of places to take them, ask tons of questions about organization, who and when stuff is happening, and generally make a pest of yourself. Then they'll either be totally unnerved and think something is really wrong with you, get aggravated and want you to butt out, and tell you to just worry about wearing clean clothes on the wedding days and go to the shop and turn something.

This accomplishes two things. First, your daughters will at least talk to you for a little while about something other than turning, until they suggest that you leave the planning and details to them and to get out of the way and go to your shop.

Second, your wife of 34 years might think she knows you and your peculiarities, but she'll be wary that "something must be up" and she'll request that you just let the girls take care of the important stuff. She's not going to leave you, but will suggest that you leave the room so they can get stuff done. You'll have no place to go, but the shop.

The boss, well, make Boss a few pens, put a cake on a cake server, and tell him your shop work expands your creativeness and clears your mind for important work stuff.

None of that helps you with your relationship with the dog immediately, but it could have benefits. See, you're probably lamenting too much to the dog, a species which I just learned understand more human speech than we suspect. Dog is probably shying away because you're grumbling too much and it's thinking, "Dude, (I'm guessing it thinks you're Dude) you're harshing my mellow with all of this grumbling. Don't expect me to fix it, because I can't talk back and I lack hands. Plus, the treats are stale and give me gas. I might be your best friend, but you've kind of left me to my own devices lately."

Now that you have your daughters and wife and boss off your case, Dog will be happier because you'll be sharing verbal cues of happiness of all of the new things you accomplished, and a new bucket of treats will be most welcomed.

Glad I could help.

Last edited:

ADKBUG

I seem to be falling into this cycle too. I just moved my shop into my garage from a borrowed space just so it would be closer... The set up is not optimal but I can work with the imperfections until I make the adjustments.

Cwalker935

My daughters refuse to talk to me, my dog ignores me even when I have treats, my boss is threatening to fire me, and my wife is on the verge of leaving me- all because of my obsession with turning.

Cody, Cody, Cody. . . you're going about this all wrong. Here's some good advice.

I recall (and found the thread) where you lamented having to participate in wedding planning for your two daughters, one of whom is a fantastic teacher. Plus, you said that your wife was not pleased with your assistance.

You have an out, man!

It might be a little painful for you, but spend the next week letting them know you recognize you've been a little distant and have spent too much time in the shop. Constantly offer helpful suggestions for wedding ideas and designs for all of the puffery and trimmings, do searches for photographers and offer ideas of places to take them, ask tons of questions about organization, who and when stuff is happening, and generally make a pest of yourself. Then they'll either be totally unnerved and think something is really wrong with you, get aggravated and want you to butt out, and tell you to just worry about wearing clean clothes on the wedding days and go to the shop and turn something.

This accomplishes two things. First, your daughters will at least talk to you for a little while about something other than turning, until they suggest that you leave the planning and details to them and to get out of the way and go to your shop.

Second, your wife of 34 years might think she knows you and your peculiarities, but she'll be wary that "something must be up" and she'll request that you just let the girls take care of the important stuff. She's not going to leave you, but will suggest that you leave the room so they can get stuff done. You'll have no place to go, but the shop.

The boss, well, make Boss a few pens, put a cake on a cake server, and tell him your shop work expands your creativeness and clears your mind for important work stuff.

None of that helps you with your relationship with the dog immediately, but it could have benefits. See, you're probably lamenting too much to the dog, a species which I just learned understand more human speech than we suspect. Dog is probably shying away because you're grumbling too much and it's thinking, "Dude, (I'm guessing it thinks you're Dude) you're harshing my mellow with all of this grumbling. Don't expect me to fix it, because I can't talk back and I lack hands. Plus, the treats are stale and give me gas. I might be your best friend, but you've kind of left me to my own devices lately."

Now that you have your daughters and wife and boss off your case, Dog will be happier because you'll be sharing verbal cues of happiness of all of the new things you accomplished, and a new bucket of ttreats will be most welcomed.

Glad I could help.

Thanks Brian, when I read this I thought wow, at last, some real therapy from someone who understands. After rereading it several times to ingrain this plan of action into my brain, it dawned on me that this would not help me deal with my problem. Instead, this strategy would increase my ability to hide and deepen my addiction. Only a much wiser and more deeply committed addict could devise such a plot. I love it! Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Top Bottom