I love the smell of copperhead in the morning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Dang little sucker came at me while I was closing the gate this morning.

I really didn't know what it was. It was early enough that the sun hasn't come up yet.

I tell you what I would much rather try to choke down a cup or coffee in the morning than try to kill a Venemous snake at dawn. But I don't think you'll get the same adrenaline rush from the coffee.

Now I don't know if I can get any sleep. I'm all wired. It's kinda funny how I've killed so many but they still freak me out. ESPECIALLY how they still move when your trying to pack them in the freezer without a head.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

When I grow up I want to be that brave. All I'm scared of is snakes and short women. I probably would have screamed all the way back to the house.

warthog

I know how you feel. Here in north Mississippi...the copperheads are really rampant. Hardly ever see a rattlesnake...but copperheads up the yazoo.

fritz64

my sister in alba texas just spent the night in hospital thanks to a copper head , her foot and leg were swollen ,and the ankle HURT. they make a better pen than a pet

seamus7227

I know how you feel. Here in north Mississippi...the copperheads are really rampant. Hardly ever see a rattlesnake...but copperheads up the yazoo.

I've heard that Rattlesnakes and Copperheads dont mingle well:biggrin: Usually where there is one, you wont find the other. Kill away , kill away!

Lupe, glad to know all is well and that we can look forward to some beautiful pens in the near future!

Last edited:

Dudley Young

I've heard that Rattlesnakes and Copperheads dont mingle well:biggrin: Usually where there is one, you wont find the other. Kill away , kill away!

Lupe, glad to know all is well and that we can look forward to some beautiful pens in the near future!
We have copperheads, cottenmouth and rattle snakes here in Florida. Ain't we lucky.

bitshird

Lupe, we have the same thing here in the Tennesee swamps, This is the first year I've seen the where they will charge, usually the high tail it for cover, but the two I've killed this year have been coming after me, and we had one bit one of my shepherds on the nose. A good thing is they are about the least lethal of the venomous snakes in the US. I always thought they were lethal,, but the worst is a Moccasin, or a Rattler and I haven't' seen a Rattler in two or three years, Hope he makes some nice pens.....

pianomanpj

When I grow up I want to be that brave. All I'm scared of is snakes and short women. I probably would have screamed all the way back to the house.

How 'bout short, female snakes? Those give you the night terrors? :wink::biggrin:

We're lucky here in Maine: the last rattlesnake was killed over a hundred years ago. But you oughtta see the FANGS on the MOSQUITOS!! :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

el_d

Had to go pull him out of the freezer...... Kinda freaky how it still curled up before freezing.

Got to remember to tell the wife.......

Last edited:

Rick_G

Looks much better with the head off. Should make some nice pens. I'm with randywa on this although short women don't scare me. They tell me that snakes are good eating mice and other vermin but I've got a cat and dog that do that and they don't freak me out when they lay on my feet.

(Isn't there some law written by someone that has never seen a venomous snake that says you have to let it bite you before killing it or else go to jail for ever.)

bitshird

I tell you what I would much rather try to choke down a cup or coffee in the morning than try to kill a poisonous snake at dawn.

Venomous, not poisonous. Just tryin' to help.

I always thought that a Copperhead bite was worse than either a Rattler or a Moccasin, but when one of our Shepherds got bit, (and killed the snake and tore up half of it) we found out they aren't near as bad a s a Cotton Mouth, but the poor pooches nose and lower throat looked like a basket ball.

sumterdad

I have killed six snakes this year. Sadly it was before I started turning pens. I could have racked up on pen blanks if I would have known. I almost can't wait till next summer

Haynie

I have killed six snakes this year. Sadly it was before I started turning pens. I could have racked up on pen blanks if I would have known. I almost can't wait till next summer

Screw that. I've lived in the desert Southwest since I was 5. I have never seen a rattle snake. I heard one about 3 feet away from me. I did not wait around to actually see it. So I have still not seen a rattle snake.

ctubbs

My bride's cats have been bringing in a variety of snakes all summer, at least 3 a week, but they have been the good types, ring neck and ribbon mostly with the occasional black snake. We just catch them and take them back outside where the cats are not watching. According to the Kentucky Snake Book, there is at least one of each venomous types of snakes in the US native here. I have seen and or killed all except the coral snake.
I have never found Cotton Mouth/Water Moccasin and Rattlers in the same close area. They will occupy adjacent hollars, however. Now my personal favorite snake is the King. With one of them around, you will not have any of the killer snakes or any mice or rats. Gotta love the King Snake.
Charles

Boz

Years ago I was living in Colorado and was up in the mountains walking down a rock slide. I went down first and turned around to have my buddy hand me my gun. I looked up at him and his eyes got real wide. There was a rattle snake right behind me and it did not make a sound. I said shoot it. He aimed over my shoulder and got him. Some where I have the rattle.

Top Bottom