I like them, but should I?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I would have sworn we had a forum called 'kits' or something.....must be getting old:redface:

Here's my dilemma...I 'think' I like all the newish kits with the also newish 'antique' finish....

I don't think they have been around long enough for it to be generally accepted how good and durable the finish is.
Does anyone use one of them as a daily writer, or know already how durable it is.

I have read that some of these have been let down by the quality of the components....like weak threads, but besides that, any opinions so far??

Thanks in advance..:wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I "like" the look of the antique brass and antique pewter (not the antique copper), but have no good data how durable these finishes are. . I like these on pens like the 30 Caliber Bolt Action and the Vertex, but I like those pen styles regardless of the finish.

There have been a lot of new pen designs from PSI which come in these new antique finishes and not any other finish. . I think those are the kits you referred to as "quality questionable". . I classify these kits as gimmicky and I generally stay away from them.
. Having said that, I have to confess that I have bought a small number of the Celtic, Mesa, and Nautical (like 2 each) in the brass and pewter. . I do not like them because the components are roughly cast and appear to have come out of badly formed molds. . The fit of the pieces is also poor, IMO.

I do have an antique brass 30 Cal Bolt Action which has been my daily carry pen for the last 6 months or so. It has stood up well so far, but I don't think that is long enough to qualify as durable.

My only complaint with the 30 Cal B.A. is that the plating thickness on the press-together portions is often excessive. . I learned this after having some beautiful blanks crack for no other possible reason. . I now routinely ream out the tube ends (with an adjustable straight-sided reamer) and glue the pieces together.

That's my opinion, and I am stickin' to it despite the rash of "catchy" new PSI pens in the "show off" forum. :yawn:

KenV

As with autos now -- the few I have used appear to be clear coated (epoxy coat or similar?)

The clear coating has made a difference in wearability and durability --- think upgrade gold vs straight gold plating.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

Don't knock it Sunshine....:tongue:
Kits are my staple diet....bread and butter, so to speak......my kitless meanderings are just the periodic smear of ....jam:biggrin:

One of the things I like about these ( perhaps gaudy?) new PSI kits is that they are fun novelties in a sea of boring clones.

I have been one of those that have slammed PSI previously for what often looks like copying ideas, but I have to admit that their new stuff is pretty unique.:)

turncrazy43

Have used the antique pewter finished American Patriot kit for about a year as my carry pen. The finish has held up very well with no signs of wear to date. Have tried a couple of the other new PSI kits in the new finishes but its too soon to tell of the other finish durability. None of the kits in those finishes that I have sold have come back with finish problems so far.

Dale Lynch

Your gonna have to prove you do kits in the extravganza Skip.I don;t believe you,i can't put those two together.

D.Oliver

Here is one I made from Antique Copper. Been using it about a year. This one is antique silver. It's only about three months old though and hasn't been used much.

Sandsini

Dang! I've been Derek-Rolled. What makes me mad is I know his rep yet I still clicked on the second link thinking that the first one was a mistake!

I heard from someone here that the new Antique Silver finish on the Jr. George II is actually unpolished Chrome. Not sure if that is accurate, but it should be durable if true. I've built a couple of these and I like them, in spite of my deep seated preference for Rhodium.

Eric

Top Bottom