I learned something new.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

I know a lot of us do other things besides pen turning and believe it or not, there was something in the world I did not know about...go figure. Since I did not know about it, certainly no one else did so I thought I'd pass it along. :biggrin:
Lesson #1
Last week I was working on my car and had to replace a small body part that would need to be painted once it arrived. I went to my local auto-body paint supply expecting to get a pint of matching paint, go home, mix it in my spray gun, hook it up to my compressor, set up tarps to keep the spray in check, spray the part, then have to spray the clear coat, then have to clean everything up. What a pain for a very small part.
Imagine my surprise when the clerk at the counter asked me if I wanted the paint in a spray can. Huh? They can now put it in a spray can just like you buy for all other spray paint, only it matches your color. No need to mix any hardener or do a clear coat, all in one can. 5 minutes and I was done! The outcome was pretty decent for a part that is somewhat hidden from view.
Lesson #2
I went to Lowe's to get some masking tape for the part above and happened to stumble across this. Shop Preval Spray System at Lowes.com . I wouldn't use it for my car but for small household jobs it seems like a great way to go.

Wow, what will they think of next? Maybe someone will come up with a way to eliminate the cord so we can carry our house phones with us!
Cheers
Bob

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Could the Preval system be used with accelerator? Seems like a good alternative to the pumps and the expensive refillable pressurized cans.

low_48

There's a huge difference between rattle can painting, and spray painting. Sure, it will have the same color, but expect orange peel and other imperfections that you will not have with a compressor and gun. Well, anyone can mess up with a gun too, but atomization is just so much better from a gun.

bobleibo

Could the Preval system be used with accelerator? Seems like a good alternative to the pumps and the expensive refillable pressurized cans.

Not sure, maybe worth a try. Haven't tried it yet but I was thinking along the lines of that pesky little piece of lawn furniture that the boss wants you to paint.

There's a huge difference between rattle can painting, and spray painting. Sure, it will have the same color, but expect orange peel and other imperfections that you will not have with a compressor and gun. Well, anyone can mess up with a gun too, but atomization is just so much better from a gun.

100% agree but for my purpose on a part that is pretty much hidden from view, it worked out fairly well. The amount of orange peel was not bad. No way I'd do anything like the outer body parts (hood, fenders, etc.) but it sure made it easy when it came time for set-up and clean-up, plus I just took the part out in the backyard and sprayed it.

Not sure, maybe worth a try. Haven't tried it yet but I was thinking along the lines of that pesky little piece of lawn furniture that the boss wants you to paint.

100% agree but for my purpose on a part that is pretty much hidden from view, it worked out fairly well. The amount of orange peel was not bad. No way I'd do anything like the outer body parts (hood, fenders, etc.) but it sure made it easy when it came time for set-up and clean-up, plus I just took the part out in the backyard and sprayed it.

WHY? did you have to mention the yard furniture?
I am sitting here reading the post and TOWMBO reads it.
THANKS BOB,,,looks like you have given her Ideas for ME to do :biggrin:

Attachments

• h.gif
    h.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 269

BSea

I'm pretty sure the accelerator would destroy the seals pretty fast. I know the can I bought just for accelerator has a rebuild kit. But if the Preval system lasted 6 months, it would be less costly than the one I bought several years ago like this one. But the big difference might be the spray tip. The can I use has a very fine mister. Much better than the pump bottles. And if the Preval system has a fine mist tip, then it would probably work well.

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I looked at the Prevail system before I purchased my Sure Shot sprayer (and began marketing them). The seals may hold up but I wanted a system I could pressurize myself and not have to spend an additional $4 every time the power unit needed replacing. So after replacing the unit about 10 times, I'd have the Sure Shot paid for.

JimB

I looked at the Prevail system before I purchased my Sure Shot sprayer (and began marketing them). The seals may hold up but I wanted a system I could pressurize myself and not have to spend an additional $4 every time the power unit needed replacing. So after replacing the unit about 10 times, I'd have the Sure Shot paid for.

Thanks Monty. I don't use much accelerator so I never bought a good system. I just use a pump. I think the accelerator I have is a bottle I bought from you a while back.

Top Bottom