I just got my DSL hooked up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

arjudy

And is it ever fast! I have been a dial up customer for years but finally bit the bullet and upgraded to SBC DSL. I don't think I'll ever look back. Makes this site a lot more enjoyable to use, not that it wasn't already. It is now even better!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

53Jim

DSL is the cats behind, ain't it?? I've tried using my wifes computer at work (Cable modem) to look at this site, and between the cable and DSL there isn't that big of a difference. DSL is cheaper, too.[:D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I am stuck with either cable or dial up... too far from the junction for DSL..
But Verizon is starting to put in fiber optic in the area and FIOS is about a year away... that is the way I am going. Much faster than cable ... I will be able to not only get my internet and phone service, but they are going to be offering TV over FIOS in a package that will be cheaper than my cable tv/internet service.

woodwish

We have had a cable modem for several years, and depending on outside factors like the distance from terminals and such they are about the same speed. Once this summer while traveling I had to use the phone modem on my laptop, and I was amazed at how slow that seemed compared to what I was doing. My computer can load pop-ups and spam so much faster these days . . .

Doghouse

FIOS will be cool, we have the fiber down already, they just (again) are going to wait a few years to put in the hardware. Sucks to live in a small town, you figure it would be easier to get he smaller places done first then the big jobs. Nope, they say we are not profitable enought for them. Not that the average home price in town just broke 250,000!

Everywhere is different.

We have cable at home and DSL at our business. In my area cable is $10 less . . . if you already have cable TV installed.

I find cable is faster, and our cable company is one heck of allot easier to deal with than the phone company we have to deal with.

Anybody here hooked up to the internet with a satellite dish?

Ron Mc

Here at the house I run a couple computers on DSL due the the faster upload times and I run a couple computers as well as an X-Box on Cable. Not much of a difference in speed that I can tell except for when there would be heavy online use in the area then cable will slow down.

Fangar

In my area, cable is around the same price if you already have cable too.

The difference is with cable I get 4+ MB a second download... for the same price that my old man gets aroun 1 MB.

Fangar

Tangboy5000

What is FIOS? I'm waiting for our local power company to install a new internet technology in our neighborhood. They use the powerlines to transmit data, that way you can plug into the internet at any outlet in your house. They figured out that the power uses certain frequencies when running through the line, that left alot of open frequency space and alot of copper to transmit data through. The only real problem they had was how to get around the transformers, which they did by making these little boxes that jump the data around the transformers. It's supposed to be faster than cable modems and half the price.

woodwish

I have a good friend from our church that is working on the same project with the power company using power lines for internet access. He says they are only months away from offering it in some areas. Makes good sense as more and more people are giving up hardwired phones and using cell phones only (I have also considered that idea), plus the small dish technology is growing over convential cable in many areas. Soon the only wired connection to your house may be the power lines, just don't see wireless electricity happening any time soon. He also claims it is technically possible to send cable TV over the power lines but not cost effective for now. Of course if they send the same garbarge over the cable lines as I am getting now it won't matter to me how they send TV signals. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom