I have got to get organized... - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 18

Default I have got to get organized...

So, the other day I decided to get off my butt & try my hand at making some bottle stoppers. I bought the mandrel for them 18 months ago.
I bought the brass inserts last year on sale. It took me 2 days to find them.

The mandrel was in my basement in a bag under a box. My inserts were in a box in my living room, behind a chair, under the ladder. (Don't ask.)
My carbide tool was in an envelope on the kitchen table, under a pile of magazines and a book.

I have stuff spread out all over this house & it's a living miracle that I can find anything. I found 2 boxes of blanks, some carbide cutters, some epoxy glue, a ton of sandpaper, and some wood blocks I need to cut into blanks.
I also found some shellac I forgot I bought, some tube / blank paint, and a lot of other turning supplies.

Man, I need to get it together. Phew!

My lathes:

Floor Lathe
Bench top lathe

Herb G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Good luck. Organizing definitely keeps my turning projects on track.
acmaclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 52

Two days isn't bad. I have all my pen turning things confined to my shop and I've spent longer than that looking for things. If it was spread out in multiple rooms I may never find what I'm looking for. By the way, have you seen my stanley spokeshave? I swear I've been looking for it for a month!

Penturning - Its basically taxidermy for trees.
D.Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Welcome to my world. Between the clutter and not being able to remember anything, I have 2 or 3 of some tools because it's easier to go buy a new one instead of looking for the other.
gtriever is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Oliver View Post
Two days isn't bad. I have all my pen turning things confined to my shop and I've spent longer than that looking for things. If it was spread out in multiple rooms I may never find what I'm looking for. By the way, have you seen my stanley spokeshave? I swear I've been looking for it for a month!

I think I heard the chief (of police) dog in Faith, buried it. Funny, they have a police force and no dog catcher. You talk nice to him and he might just remember where he dug the hole.

"Don't go riding on that long black train."
stonepecker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-12-2018, 05:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yep, bought some glue the other day because I was out. Found two bottles that I didn't know I had. Is this old age sneaking in?
Old 01-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

I have two HF cabinet like tool chests and got them way back when they were cheaper.
https://www.harborfreight.com/27-in-...mbo-63026.html
One for mechanical tools such as screws drivers, pliers, wrenches, sockets, general car, lawn mower, house fixing tools. The second is for woodworking hand tools, planes, and measurement devices and lathe tools. But, I had MORE than enough tools to fill both. These tool boxes are in my shop.

Almost immediately after getting organized about 5 years ago with these two tool chests, I learned that having all the small tools in one place did no good when I needed to fix my lawn tractor in the yard, or change a switch or wall socket in the house or help a neighbor or fix something for my daughter in the next state over.

THIS is where the fun began. I needed a smaller hand carry tool box for general tools; one for sockets and wrenches, one for electrical work and one for saw/drill measuring. Then Things Got Lost! Where in the world are those bent nose pliers? Where are my foot long steel rules? Where is that 11mm deep set socket? (Shallow 11mm socket won't work!!!) Where is my good handled 16oz claw hammer? I had 3 of them! and on and on! Too many tool boxes!

Dang it!

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I am absolutely anal about my tools... I use the tape measure, I measure a board, then walk back across the shop to hang it back on the rack where I keep it.. (it the last on I have -- I've lost the other 2 or 3 that used to be on the same rack)... all my hammers hang on nails or pegs on the wall over the work bench... they go back there as soon as I finish hammering a nail... it's the only way I can keep up with them.. put them back as soon as I've finished using them... I get lots of exercise that way walking back and forth in the shop... expecially when measuring things... I take a measurement, put the tape away, then get back to my project and I've forgotten the measurement -- another trip to and fro the tape rack to take another measurement.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2018, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Anything I use gets returned to the same place or itís MIA.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I feel ya... got a new set of jaws for my chuck, and found the Cole jaws I bought a year ago... I got another set of jaws, but now I can't find the Cole jaws...

Memory is the second thing to go... I don't remember the first.
MDWine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads