I have been wondering

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I've noticed new places selling pen making supplies and materials.

All of these suppliers seem to carry the same kits and other supplies at pretty much the same cost. Most of these kits come from the same two places.

I know there are a couple of places that have special items or a signature kit, even though those kits are just embossed with a different pattern or something similarly insignificant, but it's still the same basic kit.

Why isn't there more diversity? Can and do the little guys actually make anything from this venture or is it more of a hobby similar to making the pens?
It seems that around this area, there used to be pen makers abundant at the craft fairs and festivals, but recently, in the past year, there hasn't been any pen makers to be found.
Has this craft become too saturated and has run it's course as most crafts do?

These are the questions that I lay awake at night and ponder endlessly. Not really, but I wondered if anyone else has noticed any of this.

KenV

John, one of the key variables is "Minimum Order Quanity" to get the attractive discounts in price. It can take a lot of cash flow to make MOQ on several variations of the same style.

Deep pockets or high turnover of stock helps a lot

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I've noticed new places selling pen making supplies and materials.

All of these suppliers seem to carry the same kits and other supplies at pretty much the same cost. Most of these kits come from the same two places. Actually there are probably more places they come from than you might think BUT there are re-sellers of Berea Hardwoods, Penn State Industries and Comcraft kits as well as several people who handle Dayacom, Rizheng and Ace Metal Pen and several other makers kits.

I know there are a couple of places that have special items or a signature kit, even though those kits are just embossed with a different pattern or something similarly insignificant, but it's still the same basic kit. True, there are often differences but the differences are not necessarily readily visible

Why isn't there more diversity? Can and do the little guys actually make anything from this venture or is it more of a hobby similar to making the pens? There are only so many things you can do to a stick with a writing nib so while many pens start out looking basically alike, the blank used can make two identical kits look very different. The little guys can often beat the big seller's and still make a reasonable profit.

It seems that around this area, there used to be pen makers abundant at the craft fairs and festivals, but recently, in the past year, there hasn't been any pen makers to be found. Probably due more to changes in marketing -- craft fairs have always been spotty places to sell and many folks have now gone to etsy, eBay or both along with their own web sites.
Has this craft become too saturated and has run it's course as most crafts do? That depends on who you talk to.

These are the questions that I lay awake at night and ponder endlessly. Not really, but I wondered if anyone else has noticed any of this.
It's good that you aren't loosing any sleep over it. My answers to your questions are in the same color as this part of the post.

jttheclockman

My take on it it there is way too many and it will only continue to grow. I believe people have found it to be more lucrative to sell supplies than it is to sell finished pens. Look how many people jump on the blank making bandwagon. Have something a little different than others and off you go. Selling pens is a specialty market. You really have to put an effort into it. Much more so than selling supplies. I am not talking about those bigger companies because they are always looking to expand and increase sales. But make a few blanks or take a exotic board and cut it up and you are selling blanks. There will always be pen makers looking to buy.
So there must be pen makers out there. But again knowing how and where to sell and of course the always popular phrase LOCATION. Try to get some sleep and maybe join them and start selling supplies:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom