I have been challenged

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Well this came out of the blue today. A customer of mine who I have not seen or heard from in over 3 years emailed me looking for a pen. He specifically wants a pen with Pink Ivory and Ebony mixed in somehow. He is leaving the design to me but it has to have those 2 woods. Now most of you know both of those woods are prone to cracking. He does not want acrylic ( I tried) :)

To top it all off I have not made a pen in over 2 years. What a way to break back in.:eek: I will have to investigate this some more because he usually buys cigar pens. Have to see if I can upscale it more. Wish me luck because I am going to need it. :eek::eek::eek: How do you turn the lathe on???:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

You may want to remember how to turn the saw on first !

Segmenting those woods into small pieces would alleviate the cracking problem , I think . Pink ivory Celtic knots or scallops in the ebony ? Don`t know why I get these ideas that I will probably never try . I will look forward to a picture of your completed project to show me a better one .

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You could kill two birds with one stone....:biggrin:

.....the other day you were asking about a 360 herringbone on a Panache...

....go for it...:biggrin:

jttheclockman

For a first pen in 2 years:eek::eek::eek:

I was thinking scallops. Or bands or both. I have to dig out some pink ivory. Has been a while since I used that stuff. I am actually going to have to take the CA out of the freezer. Oh my. Hope it is still good.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

I stopped making pens from either of those woods. Every pink ivory I've ever done has split over time. Ebony has been hit or miss.

jttheclockman

I stopped making pens from either of those woods. Every pink ivory I've ever done has split over time. Ebony has been hit or miss.

Yes Carl they can be a challenge but I will throw all my tricks at it and see what happens. I will warn the buyer that things may happen. But if I break up the pieces enough I may have a chance. :rolleyes:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 141

jttheclockman

For a first pen in 2 years:eek::eek::eek:

Cluck cluck...............:tongue:

Looks like that chicken is about to get eaten for dinner. :eat:He is no pen turner. One challenge at a time sir:biggrin::biggrin:

I started limbering up and do some stretching. :bananen_smilies047::bananen_smilies019:

KenV

John,

My observation has been that when mining the stash for seasoned ebony and such, the cracking incidence goes way way down. Nothing like a few years seasoning to cut down on moisture and movement.

Have fun rediscovering treasures you find

Bob in SF

John,

My observation has been that when mining the stash for seasoned ebony and such, the cracking incidence goes way way down. Nothing like a few years seasoning to cut down on moisture and movement.

Have fun rediscovering treasures you find

My 2 cents: black and white ebony with pink ivory chips inlay

Somewhere between this:
attachment.php

and this:
attachment.php

Good luck!

- Bob:)

Attachments

• BlackWhiteEbony,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    BlackWhiteEbony,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 275
  • car, 1950s.jpg
    car, 1950s.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 216

jttheclockman

I have just discovered I do not have any more pink ivory laying around. That can now pose a problem because if I order it I will have to wait on it to dry. I thought for sure I still had some. The mind is a terrible thing to waste. May have to make an email delivery and see what else I can do. Sure glad he is not in any hurry.:rolleyes:

My go to source does not have any. This is getting interesting. Have now checked 3 reliable sources for good quality and none of them have any. Wonder how he feels about yellow heart or even bloodwood???:rolleyes::rolleyes: Wonder what bleached bloodwood looks like???

Last edited:

Scott

I was thinking maybe lots of thin slices of the two woods laminated together. That might eliminate the stresses that would cause cracking. Just initial thoughts.

Scott.

jttheclockman

John; I have both Pink Ivory and Ebony that I have had for over 20 years in a climate controlled wood room. PM me what you need and where to send it. Jim S

The ebony I have plenty of and have some pink ivory scheduled to come in next week. Will keep you and a few others that PMed me in mind if all things fail.

Yes I will be breaking up the pink ivory with some sort of detail to relieve the stress. Will see what I can do. Thanks all.

Top Bottom