I hate house work!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

What? You didn't think I was actually talking about household chores did you? I can build a house from the ground up. Done it... plumbing, wiring and all. And I'm pretty fair at building furniture and just about anything else I've ever put my mind to. But when it comes time to repairing something around the house, I'm like a fish out of water. I just got my butt kicked by a dryer hose. Old dryer went out so I had to hook up another one. Piece of cake, right? Wrong! The old hose was so old it cracked if you looked at it. So off to Lowes for a new one. No problem, right? Wrong! Hooked it up and couldn't get the dryer to go back far enough... and this one is SMALLER! Sheesh! Back to Lowes for more parts. I've been up and down so many times I feel like a yoyo. None of the parts would work. Remember that vinyl or nylon flex hose for dryers? You can't buy it anymore. Only thing available is flex aluminum. There is some thing walled stuff that is more of a lint trap than a hose, but it would work, but I just couldn't do it. Finally after two hours (not counting trips to the store) and 8 configurations I have it connected. And it just barely fits in the space. My knees hurt... anybody got an aspirin? And I was supposed to bowl tonight. [V]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
One of the things LOML is thankfuil for is that I am a handyman that makes the problem so bad she can call a professional to fix. [:D]

smoky10

What I hate worse than anything is plumbing. I had a little drip in the kitchen drain; by the time I got finished I destroyed and replaced everything from the sink to the trunk line under the house.[V][:(]

ashaw

This year we decided to enlarge our bathroom. Now this is a 150 year old home. We started in June and I fiqured by September I would be Done. Guess what I am still working on it and no time in the shop.
This is want it turned out to be

1. Bring the stack inside because the outside stack has to be replace cast iron $7,000.00 to replace C/I or 900.00 for PVC.

2. Move the first floor closet to outside wall to hide stack.

3. Uncover tube and knob wiring that was in sad shape.

Rip all of the plaster and lathe so that I can replace all of the wiring.

Wiring done. Hung 15 sheets of drywall with 26 sheets to go.

We also had the wedding to plan for.

I think by September of next year will be done.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
he reason you cannot get the vint=yl hose any more is because it is a fire hazard.
People did not install it properly.
The hose if left sagging acts like a Ptrap.
The low spot enetually collects water and lint and will eventually plug.
Depending on the dryer a fire hazard is in the making.
In my area a dryer run must be done in galvamized pipe with no pentrations and not to exceed 25 ft.
One 90* elbo equals 5 ft of run I think.
(Not many are installed correctly)

TomServo

Problem is, you can still buy the vinyl - they sell it all over the place still :) They sell precut lengths and bulk here in town.. (ND) and I know i saw it in kansas when I was there 6 months ago.. and in colorado they still sell the stuff.. maybe <Name Your Big Box> just doesn't carry it because there's more profit in the aluminum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom