I get to make a pen...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
maybe two.

The story is, the neighbor that lets me use his lathe on occasion, wanted to make some pens after seeing the one I made for a friends wife.

He bought some stuff and made a pen. He was unsatisfied with the outcome and tried another. This time the blanks were destroyed in some manner. I couldn't understand what he did, but he has decided to give up on making pens, at least for the time being.

So, with his unfortunate result, he decided to give me the two remaining kits he had. One of them being without the tubes, since they were mangled along with the destroyed blanks.
I will make the one pen, I just glued some tubes in, and I'll make the other pen provided I can get some tubes without the exorbitant shipping.

I get a photo and post it when I get the pen finished. Stay tuned...:wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
What's the kit that needs tubes?

The baggie says Jr. Gent and I believe it's from a place called Timberbits.
I'm not sure if it's different from the other Jr. Gent that I made a while back. I don't remember where that kit came from.

Terredax

Banned
Get ahold of Timberbits and ask. They will tell you if any Jr. Gent tubes will fit or if their kit is a little different.

I was just looking at their website. There are three different listings for Jr., but only one gives the dimensions. They don't list a Jr. Gent kit either. Only a Jr. Gent II. I'm wondering if it isn't from there.

Also, it looks as if they are in Australia. I'm sure the shipping would be much more than the $1.50 cost of the tubes.
I might just try to drill some aluminum to fit, so I can make use of the rest of the kit.

magpens

If you are thinking of using Aluminum for the tubes (instead of the missing brass ones) you should ask someone about doing that.

It would be OK if you drill the Aluminum a little bigger then the ID of the brass tubes and then glue the metal nib and top pieces in.

If you try to do a press fit of the pieces that might not work. Aluminum does not stretch like brass does.

Top Bottom