I found yet another stupid way to hurt myself

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I probably should not publicly confess the many stupid things I do but I figure that my reputation cannot get any lower. It's pretty amazing as to how many silly ways I can find to hurt my self. Today, I was planting some new grapevines beside an existing trellis. I took a mighty swing with a pick mattock and caught the second trellis wire creating significant tension on the wire. Said tension propelled the mattock back causing the head of the mattock to strike its unfortunate user in the head. Luckily the pick did not hit me. Having witnessed this event, SWMBO let me take a five minute break. One silver lining to being as dense as I am is that I have a very hard head that metal objects bounce off of leaving only a slight headache.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Ouch Cody,
That's Dangerous.
I find it Safer and Faster to get my Wine from the local Bottle Shop or the nearest Vineyard.
I think you should have gotten some lengthy Time Out, for such a Knock on your Head, if it is good enough and necessary for the Footballers, when they get a knock to their head, in particular as they wearing Protective Helmets to avoid further damage, then it is right for you.
Brian.

pshrynk

We should start a sub forum "Stupid Ways to Break Humans". My hand is back to useful, BTW. I started set up to make a Celtic Knot pen and a Gear Head last night. The Gorilla and epoxy should be solid this evening by the time I get home.

Did SWMBO use Gorilla or epoxy on your noggin?

sbwertz

I probably should not publicly confess the many stupid things I do but I figure that my reputation cannot get any lower. It's pretty amazing as to how many silly ways I can find to hurt my self. Today, I was planting some new grapevines beside an existing trellis. I took a mighty swing with a pick mattock and caught the second trellis wire creating significant tension on the wire. Said tension propelled the mattock back causing the head of the mattock to strike its unfortunate user in the head. Luckily the pick did not hit me. Having witnessed this event, SWMBO let me take a five minute break. One silver lining to being as dense as I am is that I have a very hard head that metal objects bounce off of leaving only a slight headache.

I was squatting down hammering a nail with a hatchet that had a hammer head on one side and hatchet on the other. My little brother walked up behind me and I hit him in the head with the hatched blade on the backswing! Still has the scar.

That same hatchet got me, too. Winter was coming and we had wooden panels that fit into the windows on the horse stalls in the cold weather. I had left it too long and it snowed before I got them installed. They got wet and swelled enough that they didn't want to go in the windows. I had my shoulder against the panel and was hammering the bottom edge trying to drive it into the window opening, and missed. Hit myself right between the eyes with the hammer head. Woke up in a snowbank with a waffle mark on my forehead from the hammer. Wore that mark for weeks.

Last edited:

Cwalker935

I was squatting down hammering a nail with a hatchet that had a hammer head on one side and hatchet on the other. My little brother walked up behind me and I hit him in the head with the hatched blade on the backswing! Still has the scar.

That same hatchet got me, too. Winter was coming and we had wooden panels that fit into the windows on the horse stalls in the cold weather. I had left it too long and it snowed before I got them installed. They got wet and swelled enough that they didn't want to go in the windows. I had my shoulder against the panel and was hammering the bottom edge trying to drive it into the window opening, and missed. Hit myself right between the eyes with the hammer head. Woke up in a snowbank with a waffle mark on my forehead from the hammer. Wore that mark for weeks.

I got my first cousin with a hatchet in much the same way, I was chopping so she got hit with the flat side of the hatchet. Fifty years later and she is still mad at me.

Cwalker935

Is the pick mattock repairable or do you now have an excuse to go tool shopping?

The pick mattock is fine, it's actually a family heirloom. It originally belonged to my Grandfather Everet, who had a reputation for always hurting himself when he went to do something. He would get carried away in whatever he was doing and forget to look out for himself. Hmm, I might have inherited some of that particular gene now that I think about it. In any event, the pick mattock is still a rugged implement and can withstand even my thick head.

Is the pick mattock repairable or do you now have an excuse to go tool shopping?

The pick mattock is fine, it's actually a family heirloom. It originally belonged to my Grandfather Everet, who had a reputation for always hurting himself when he went to do something. He would get carried away in whatever he was doing and forget to look out for himself. Hmm, I might have inherited some of that particular gene now that I think about it. In any event, the pick mattock is still a rugged implement and can withstand even my thick head.

Hey I have the same reputation.. my motto is: If there's no blood on the work, I probably didn't do it. :biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom