I found a drill bit and...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I have no idea why I have it. There are no markings on it at all.
It is a brad drill bit for wood. It measures 21/64" on my drill gauges.

It is not out of a set. Would this be used in pen making?
If so, which kits would it fit?

I sincerely have no idea why I even have it, let alone know what it's used for. It's bugging me to no end.
Any help out there?

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

You may be using it for a substitute for the "O" drill bit. I do that. The Flat Top kit is the one that pops to mind that calls for the "O" drill bit.

KenV

Herb, that is a fat 5/16 bit. It would be one of several choices to drill for 3/8 by 16 bottle stopper threads.

While I have it in my drill index, can not remember using it for a pen.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The only kits that I'm aware of that specifically call for a 21/64 bit are the Seam Ripper and Euro Letter Opener by Hut Products. Other suppliers of those same kits call for a letter O or an 8mm or a 5/16 bit. While a 21/64 can be used in place of any of those 3 bits, it is about 0.3mm or 1/64" larger - which sometimes can be helpful.

Personally, I wouldn't use it for bottle stoppers though. My personal preference is to use a 9/32 bit. I like to drill the holes a little undersize, then tap them to 3/8-16 before threading onto a mandrel. That's just me though - others have different techniques.

Last edited:

Dale Allen

So you found the drill bit....

.......and Mitch found your drill!:biggrin:

Now get back to work!:laugh:

Attachments

• drill_hill.JPG
    drill_hill.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 142

duncsuss

Possibly part of a "loose tenon" joinery kit? If you have 5/16" dowels that are going to be glued in, a slightly oversized hole allows for good glue coverage (too tight a fit means no space for glue, and the joint is weaker).

sbwertz

Perhaps at some time you bought a "starter kit" that included bit and bushings and several pen kits.

Top Bottom