I don’t care what some of you think....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

but 1 degree Fahrenheit is cold. I went outside this morning to get some firewood without checking the temperature. I was pretty bundled up but immediately felt a penetrating cold. Never felt a cold like that. Came in and looked at the thermometer and it was registering 1. You Canucks, Minnesotans and Wisconsinites might scoff but we ain't used this down here in Virginia. Here's what I ended up looking like:

1AF70A27-4097-42B1-A71A-70380C9E3A93.jpeg

Last edited:

Herb G

It was -6*F here last night, but I'm a tad North of you.
I can handle cold weather after becoming acclimated to it over time.
But I can't take -25*F wind chill for the last 2 1/2 weeks like we've had here this year.
This is just crazy cold.
:coffee:

robutacion

Do you really want to know what the temperature is here in South Australia...???:biggrin::wink:

Sorry, I shouldn't add wood to the fire, oops...! what I mean is, I shouldn't joke about it, I probably would have a heart attack...!:eek:

Get warm...!

Cheers
George

mecompco

Pretty chilly here in Maine as well last night--all sorts of new temperature records. Up to a relatively balmy -3 F right now.

Super Dave

It is sunny and 58 here, to me that's cold. (Sorry) Next week we should be back into the 70-80's. (Sorry) We suffer in the summer ....

Dave

MRDucks2

Looked at the temp here near Indy and saw 19. That is the warmest it has been in a while! Oldest brother lived in Pensacola before he passed. Loved the snow they got there every 5 or 6 years. Made money to supplement his Naval retirement driving people around town. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Gary Beasley

Whats the humidity like in those really cold areas? Down south here in the US the cold is usually pretty damp and will make you feel like icewater. Top that off with the scarcity of good cold weather clothes, most folks closets are full of cotton blends to help with heat and humidity. The local Wal Mart rarely has good longjohns.

stonepecker

Back in the winter of '83/'84 .....the year my bride and I met...... there was one evening when the temps were -40 below zero and the wind chill was -95 below. How my Old's 98 started I will never know.

zig613

Here is eastern Ontario we have been experiencing a colder than normal winter this year. Yesterday was the coldest day to date at -26C (or -15F) with the windchill the temperature dipped to about (or -49F). Our normal temperatures at this time of year is around -10°C (15F).

We have a Siberian husky that normally stays outside most of the time and even he was glad to spend some time in the house yesterday!

Wade

Ambidex

It's all relative. On top of Mt. Washington, just north of me, wind chill was -97 night before last. Makes 1 degree sound like swimming weather.

Woodchipper

Cincinnati, Ohio, January, 1982, it was minus 41 with a wind chill of minus 61. It has bee unseasonably cold here in SE TN. But it will get up into the 50s and 60s this week.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I still believe in global warming !! :biggrin:

I do too, as soon as I turn the heat up - all over the house! That is global enough for me. Being this far south, we had a week of under freezing for the high.

Back in the summer of '93, we moved to a suburb of Osaka. About that time, a Minnesotan and his Japanese wife moved from Minneapolis and in with her parents in our neighborhood. We quickly became very good friends. He talked about the REAL cold that Minnesota was used to having. Even in the fall when the temps dropped down into the lower 50's he would wear short sleeves.

(Bare in mind that he was living in his in-laws house and they don't heat their houses in the winter very much but rather pull up to a table that has a heater under it.) That area of East Osaka generally had temps of upper 20's (F) to upper 30's for days at a time in Jan-Feb.

He called me one day and asked if he could come and visit. (We kept our house downstairs at about 70°.) I said yes, come on over! He showed up a few minutes later and after a cup of coffee, he said: "It is COLD here (Ikoma, Osaka suburb). That house I live in is COLD." I said: "Its only about 30° (F) outside! Why are you so cold?!!!" He quickly said, "THIS cold is different from Minneapolis Cold!" :eek: :biggrin:

Then I said, "That is the difference between a HUMID cold and a DRY cold." He said he learned his lesson!

Today, it is in the lower 40's outside and humid here in N Mississippi. That humid cold is more shivering than the 10° we had last week! :eek:

Last edited:

Rockytime

It's mild here in Denver, however, my wife likes it cold enough in the house to hang beef. Thermostat at 65 daytime 50 nights. :mad-tongue:

Rolandranch

A warm 72 degrees here. What does the negative sign mean in front of some of your temperatures? :biggrin: Stay warm! :coffee:

greenacres2

Whats the humidity like in those really cold areas? Down south here in the US the cold is usually pretty damp and will make you feel like icewater. Top that off with the scarcity of good cold weather clothes, most folks closets are full of cotton blends to help with heat and humidity. The local Wal Mart rarely has good longjohns.

We're about 10 miles from the Lake Michigan shore, so we rarely see less than 50% humidity. Over the past 10 days we've been mostly in the range of -16 to +10 F, and this week our town was well over 30" of lake effect snow. But--according to the meter on our dehumidifier, we've had relative humidity of 20% to 25% in our basement. And...CA glue takes MUCH longer to dry than when it's normal.

earl

Gary Beasley

We're about 10 miles from the Lake Michigan shore, so we rarely see less than 50% humidity. Over the past 10 days we've been mostly in the range of -16 to +10 F, and this week our town was well over 30" of lake effect snow. But--according to the meter on our dehumidifier, we've had relative humidity of 20% to 25% in our basement. And...CA glue takes MUCH longer to dry than when it's normal.

earl

I had an in-law in Mosinee that told me about the area. Im glad Im not there!
Got a steamer you can point at that CA?

Curly

I was slightly above freezing here for the first time in over 3 weeks. I took advantage of the warm weather to set up a couple saw horses outside and use the air powered random orbit sander to sand a project I'm making. It was a good day. :)

WriteON

Sorry to sound ignorant.... but how can a measurement be less than 0. Zero is Zero unless some degrees are owed. Aside from that I'm in the most hated state in the country. Careful guys. Stay safe. Everyday is one day closer to Spring.

hcpens

It means below zero on whichever scale is in use or generally understood— centigrade, Delisle, or what have you. It would mean the same as freezing in scales where the freezing point of water is set at zero, such as Celsius or Réaumur, but not in scales where zero is set to something else, as in Leiden or Rømer.Jan 7, 2014

MrPukaShell

Rain here this morning but pretty warm. Got up this morning and the house was 70 so no need for the heater. Hopefully we will get some much needed water from this storm but with the recent burns in the area there may be some flooding. Time will tell

MRDucks2

It got so cold here in Tucker, Georgia that I saw politicians with their hands in their own pockets !! Little kerosene heater out in shop just won't cut it.

Ben

Was so cold previous couple of weeks in Central Indiana that Electric Central Furnace in my shop couldn't get it about 54 on its own. Diesel Torpedo heater gets it up to 77 pretty quick, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Bikerdad

Cool/cold here, nothing unusual, actually, a fair bit warmer than usual. Heck, I don't think the glue in my shop has even frozen yet this year! Nightimes in the low 20s, getting up into the 40s during the day. The real problem is the lack of snow. Snowpack in the mountains isn't even at 10% yet.

Gregory Hardy

Our hearts go out to those of you south of the Mason-Dixon line who are neither accustomed nor prepared for those temps. My back yard thermometer read -16 yesterday morning with sustained winds at 25MPH and gusts at 40MPH...roughly -37 wind chill. Got up this morning to +26 and didn't even wear a coat to work. :)

moke

I like to go to Las Vegas in January.....you can tell who is from what part of the country easily..... if it might be in the low 50's in the evening, natives are wearing a parka...people from Iowa and parts north are complaining the pools aren't open!!!

Born and Raised in S.E. Wisconsin, lived about 2 blocks away from Lake Michigan, call me crazy, but I love the snow and cold weather. It's the "Wind Chill" that I don't like. I can take up to about -10 below, if the wind is not blowing.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Beginning of the week.......38 degrees
Today, didn't get above zero.

Not even going to talk about the windchill

I stopped at Re-Use Hawaii today. They had a bin of Hawaiian Koa flooring wood for $12/bf. I selected a number of pieces up to 2' long so they will fit in one of the 2x12x24 LFRB boxes. A mostly selected boards that are smooth on top & bottom (lots of the flooring wood has grooves on the bottom), I found a couple of boards with really nice curl & a couple with really nice grain.

They also have Ohia, Cumaru (not sure I spelled that right), domestic & African mahogany, Jarrah, Redwood & lots of common stuff like fir, cedar, pine, etc.

I still have room for more, so I'll stop in again before I leave.

Top Bottom