I blame Anthony! (or "sharing a fountain pen")

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

Having read Anthony's review of the $25 plastic Lamy fountain pen (and having spoken with Lou and some of the others here about it too), I went into a local pen store yesterday and bought one. I'm a lefty, so I'm a little leery about fountain pens, but given the rave reviews generally, and especially of this pen, I finally broke down and bought it. Problem is, my wife now wants to try it too, and I know we have different writing styles (she's right-handed). Any idea whether passing the pen back and forth will adversely impact its writing ability?

The whole point of buying the pen was to have something decent against which to compare the two or three FP kits I've recently purchased, hence my concern about the Lamy. Any comments are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Come on you CHEAPO [:D]
<br />
Well, that's SORT of correct! I bought some Pink Ivory for a pen for her, and have been waiting until she picks the style she wants. She saw the Lamy pen and the chrome Baron PI I did this weekend, and said that she might want a PI fountain pen, but that she wanted to try the Lamy before she "wasted" her blank.

She also didn't WANT me to buy her a Lamy too, but based on what I'm seeing here, I just might.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
You can always make her the PI Baron FP and if she decides she does not like a FP switch out the front for a RB and clean the FP or replace the nib assembly for a couple of bucks... but once she gets used to a FP there is no going back.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
For trialing purposes, there will be no adverse impact from both of you trying the pen. MANY pens in pen shops have been "test driven" by people of both hands as well as high-angle and low-angle writing. What you want to avoid is letting anyone use a fountain pen that has already been broken in by you or has been professionally ground for your style of writing. That takes many hours of use.

PenWorks

Didn't miss much Randy, here is the link
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6038&SearchTerms=,,Lamy,safari

JimGo

Anthony, the snap-cap on the pen is pretty cool, and I can't quite figure out where the "snap" is coming from. Would you be able to take a close-up of the cap from the clear pen in that thread (with the pen in the cap)? I'm really curious to see how it works without disassembling mine! If it's too time consuming, or too much trouble, don't worry about it.

PenWorks

Jim, the inside cap is smooth, when the cap is placed over the black washer or band, the band gets squished a skoosh and expands and snaps.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Jim, the inside cap is smooth, when the cap is placed over the black washer or band, the band gets squished a skoosh and expands and snaps.

Now, THAT'S technospeak!!!

Randy_

Originally posted by PenWorks<br />...Didn't miss much Randy...

Thanks, Anthony!! Sometimes it is just a small piece of information that is most helpful. The space shuttle is around 6.3 million pounds at liftoff, if I remember correctly; but the failure of a tiny electronic component not much bigger than a fly speck could keep it on the ground. The little details are important too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom