I am in the wrong business

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmmarshall

Wowsers! That is a gorgeous pen for sure. Sell 1 a month, or every 2 months and that is a pretty good living. I'm a little jealous of such fine work.

Cmmarshall

Additionally, I have wondering why I couldn't turn down some wood or acrylic to below the bushings and then add watch parts or another decoration medium on top of that, then cast and turn the new layer. Anyone tried that?

JohnU

That would be a nice earning! I recently cast an abalone with watch parts for myself but haven't gotten around to turning it yet. I've alway liked the carbon fiber background but I think with the right watch face the abalone really pops and is a nice change.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 187

Gus Jr

Additionally, I have wondering why I couldn't turn down some wood or acrylic to below the bushings and then add watch parts or another decoration medium on top of that, then cast and turn the new layer. Anyone tried that?

I have tried that twice, both times after many months the wood turned a funny color. Not sure why that happen, but have not done it again. Gus Jr.

jttheclockman

That wood would be awful thin. Even with carbon fiber it sometimes is scary. But give it a try. The resin you use needs to be compatible with wood. Good luck. :)

jttheclockman

That would be a nice earning! I recently cast an abalone with watch parts for myself but haven't gotten around to turning it yet. I've alway liked the carbon fiber background but I think with the right watch face the abalone really pops and is a nice change.

John those came out well. You need to spin them. The watch dial is the whole key to any of these watch parts pens. That to me is what makes or breaks a good looking pen. Throwing a bunch of parts in there does not do it for me.

Here is the link to his version on FB. I do not think he would mind. It is out there in the public domain. This is a very nice looking pen as well. Another version of this ever growing popular theme pen. Dale has been featured in magazines. One of our own has grown up:):) I have to admit I do have some reservations about it but it is cool.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...=pcb.1095857143770103&type=3&relevant_count=2

Last edited:
I have done a watch parts pen with a wood background. It is a real fine line between getting it thin enough and hitting the brass tube. You end up with about .012" of wood left. I used 400 grit paper for the last part and sanded between the delrin cones so I could get all the way to the ends.

Very nice blanks John, you have to post when it is done.

Mike

JohnU

John those came out well. You need to spin them. The watch dial is the whole key to any of these watch parts pens. That to me is what makes or breaks a good looking pen. Throwing a bunch of parts in there does not do it for me.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...=pcb.1095857143770103&type=3&relevant_count=2

I agree, the face is what makes the pen. Unfortunately I haven't invested a lot in faces yet because I haven't spent a lot of time playing with the process. Mine were some freebies from a friend that found a small bag of watches at a garage sale. lol

KenV

JT

You are not in the correct market doing the correct things if you want to generate the high dollar sales.

Dale has worked hard to build a reputation based on near perfect art and presentation. He has worked to earn the rewards.

jttheclockman

Ken, yes Dale has made a name for himself and carved out a nice little niche in this world of pen making. He has come a long way with hard work and dedication and i wish him continued success. His work stands out.

As far as me that was a tongue in cheek comment just mainly to point out to those that make that type pen there is a goal to strive for. I am truely happy doing what I do and that is scrolling. My pen making is such a distant part of my overall interests that I could not compare to many here that do this more than I. In my stage of life now I am in the enjoy whatever years I have left. I have nothing more to prove. happy turning.:)

magpens

I haven't seen any posts by Dale here for quite a long time.

Thanks for your thread, JT, and the picture. Can't get the FB link to work though.

That is one unbelievable pen, but certainly consistent with the work Dale used to post here.

Dalepenkala

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the kind comments about my pens! Also a thank you to you John for bringing this up.

One of the comments said that I haven't posted much on here lately and that is very true! I have been so busy with everything I have just not had the time to post much. Only before shows on Facebook so my customers know when I'm going to be at which shows.

Thanks again to all of you!

jttheclockman

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the kind comments about my pens! Also a thank you to you John for bringing this up.

One of the comments said that I haven't posted much on here lately and that is very true! I have been so busy with everything I have just not had the time to post much. Only before shows on Facebook so my customers know when I'm going to be at which shows.

Thanks for taking some time to stop by and say hello. hope to see you here more and show your pens here as well. Tough to bring FB pages here.

I know there are many here who are playing around with the watch part pens and wanted to show them something to strive for. Hope you did well at your last show. :)

Dalepenkala

Thanks for taking some time to stop by and say hello. hope to see you here more and show your pens here as well. Tough to bring FB pages here.

I know there are many here who are playing around with the watch part pens and wanted to show them something to strive for. Hope you did well at your last show. :)

Thank you John! I'll try to get here more just hard sometimes is all. Traditionally Chicago is more of a vintage show however sometimes you get surprized and a small group will come in that like the new stuff.
As far as the show for me I did well. Covered expenses and pocket change. DC is the biggy for most of us. I'd like to invite you John and any other members of the IAP to come to DC and stop in and say hello!

Thanks again!

Top Bottom