Hypnotizing rattlesnakes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtjw

I finally got the rattlesnakes glued up but it was hard at first. I had to get the snake to jump on the tubes. do yall know how hard that is. Here is a pic of the snake before he got on the tubes.

200591318444_SUNP0001.jpg

alamocdc

Yep, and my oldest SOL would be in another county about right now. He's a Tennessee boy. [:D] 6'4" and almost 300 lbs and he's terrified of snakes. I think it's funny.

BTW, even some of our snake handling pros get bit doing this, so Travis ain't lyin'! This isn't for the novice. Of course, Johnny could be using a stuffed snake. [:p]

rtjw

This is actually the smaller of the two. Have another one that is about 3 foot long. The guy that is getting these for me has a guy that wants him to come on his land and get all the snakes. The guy said he has seen about 50 so far. I will have lots of blanks made up with those.

rtjw

Frank I am really smart when it comes to snakes. First lesson I ever learned was the best kind of snake is a dead one. This one didnt live a long and fruitful life, thats how i like it.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
OK, since I don't live in Arkansas I will say what Frank is probably thinking...

<b>YOUR NUTS...
ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY NUTS.</b>..

Woodnknots

Please tell me that you at least ate it? I'm not a tree-huggin hippy, but I hate killin' for killin's sake. Nice shot though, I'm not afraid of snakes, but that'd make me a bit nervous.

Randy_

Originally posted by RiflemanCan I have permission to break my vow and say something about the intelligence of Texans....

You have my permission. I'm from Texas and I sure don't understand it?? I don't understand people who jump out of airplanes...for fun...strapped to a big umbrella; but I guess everyone has their own thing.

Randy_

Originally posted by rtjw<br />This is not a stuffed snake. It is all real and poisonous.

I wonder if that snake has been frozen?? Doesn't look like it is sitting exactly flat on the shelf and it doesn't look like it is focused on the finger but off to the right somewhere. I would expect that a live snake would be looking right at the finger/hand???

alamocdc

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />No, Frank, you may not! [;)] Johnny, let me know when you're ready to sell some skins. Snattlerake is a bit hard to come by up here. [:p]

My lips, and fingers, are zipped. But I'm about to explode. [:0]
ROTFLMAO, Frank! [:p] But that's okay. Like Travis said, it's a Texas thing and apparently even some of our citizens don't understand. [:D]

mik

The Orchard, Milton Lane, Wookey Hole, Somerset, U
Over 8,000 people are bitten by poisonous snakes in the United States each year. On average, fewer than 10 snakebite deaths are reported. In fact more people die from wasp and bee stings than from snakebites. Nonetheless venomous snakes must be considered dangerous and even non-fatal bites can cause severe pain and long lasting tissue damage.

There are four species of poisonous snakes in the United States. Three, the Copperhead, Water Moccasin and Rattlesnake, belong to a group known as pit vipers. They get this title due their highly specialized venom apparatus which include two long hinged fangs and a pair of extremely sensitive innervated pits which are located between their eyes and nostrils. These pits are "heat detectors" used for hunting which are so sensitive that blindfolded snakes have been able to accurately follow warm-blooded prey (e.g., rodents) from a distance of 6 feet!

Rattlesnakes are equipped for both day and night vision. They give birth to living, poisonous young. There are many varieties in the U.S., the most predominant being:

The Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake; the most dangerous North American snake. Specimens have been captured as a large as 8-foot long and weighing 15 pounds. The snake's 3/4" fangs are capable of penetrating almost any boot. Fortunately this snake is relatively docile.

The Diamondback; a western rattlesnake which can become quite nasty when provoked. The Diamondback is responsible for most deaths due to snakebite in the U.S.

The Prairie Rattler; a smaller snake found in the great plains, also with a relatively nasty disposition. It is too small to be a fatal threat to a treated human, but horses and cattle bitten on the nose can die from the resulting swelling which blocks their air passages.

The Timber or Banded Rattlesnake; a northeastern snake which is easily camouflaged on the forest floor.

The Sidewinder; another often "hidden" rattlesnake,so named for its unusual side-sliding movements which leave "J" patterns in the sand. When the day gets hot, the Sidewinder buries itself in the sand to keep cool, leaving just its eyes exposed which are protected by horn-like growths. Neither of the Sidewinder or the Timber Rattler are easily discovered until the passer-by is well within striking distance.

Rattlesnakes, before striking, are typically coiled except for the forward part of the body which is raised and the rattle which is buzzing. Rattlesnakes typically strike up to a distance equal to 1/3 to 1/2 of their overall length, although longer reaches are theoretically possible.

The sound made by a rattler is caused by the clicking together of the rattle segments when the tail is vibrated. This sound has been described as similar to the crackling sound of frying fat. It should be noted that when the rattle is wet, it makes no noise.

Pit vipers generally inject large amounts of venom into hunting bites, but oftentimes little or no venom into defensive bites. In fact, up to 25% of pit viper bites in humans are non-venomous "dry bites". A provoked and angered snake, however, might not only "load up" to be quite venomous, but may also strike several times!

SNAKEBITES IN HUMANS
A rattlesnake bite is a serious event, but by staying calm, following good procedures and using common sense, it doesn't have to be a fatal event. In fact, Rattlesnake bites are generally not fatal. The signs and symptoms of poisoning often take several hours to develop. Reliable antivenins are available at virtually all medical facilities and proper prehospital care can lessen the toxicity of the event and resulting tissue damage.

There have been many snake bite remedies offered over the years. Recent studies have concluded that the following protocols are best: (Note 1)

Stay calm, get safely away from the snake, and have someone call 9-1-1 (or the emergency number in your area). The less the victim moves the bitten site, the less likely the venom will be profused and cause damage.

Have the victim lie down with the affected limb lower than the heart. Keep the limb immobilized. If practical, splint the limb.

Treat for shock and preserve body heat.

Remove any rings, bracelets, boots, or other restricting items from the bitten extremity. (It WILL swell.)

Apply a light constricting band about 2" above and below the bite, however never place the bands on either side of a joint (such as above and below the knee or elbow). This band should be made up of wide, soft material, which could be a handkerchief or shredded clothing. The band should only be as tight as the band the nurse applies when giving a blood test.

NOTE: The purpose of constricting bands is to restrict lymphatic flow, not blood, so they should not be too tight. Check pulses below the bands and readjust them as necessary when they tighten due to swelling.

Wash the bite with soap and water (if available).

If the victim has to walk out, sit calmly for 20-30 minutes to let the venom localize at the site, proceed calmly to the nearest source of help and try to avoid unnecessary exertion which will stimulate circulation of the poison.

Get the victim to definitive medical care for antivenin, which will provide the greatest relief from the toxic effects of the bite.

ACTIONS TO AVOID:
DO NOT cut the bite. The additional tissue damage may actually increase the diffusion of the toxins throughout the body.

DO NOT apply a tourniquet. Such action can result in the loss of the limb.

NEVER try to suck out the venom by mouth. You can try the suction cup in a snakebite kit if it doesn't delay other needed treatment. Suctioning seldom provides any measurable advantages, however.

Do not apply cold and/or ice packs. Recent studies indicate that application of cold or ice makes the injury much worse.

Play if you like!!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
ACTIONS TO AVOID:
DO NOT cut the bite. The additional tissue damage may actually increase the diffusion of the toxins throughout the body.

DO NOT apply a tourniquet. Such action can result in the loss of the limb.

NEVER try to suck out the venom by mouth. You can try the suction cup in a snakebite kit if it doesn't delay other needed treatment. Suctioning seldom provides any measurable advantages, however.

Do not apply cold and/or ice packs. Recent studies indicate that application of cold or ice makes the injury much worse.

If by some unforseen event you happen to sit on the snake and are bitten as a result...
You will find out very quickly who your friends really are.... and a bit more about their lifestyle than you might have wanted to know.... [:p][:p]

rtjw

Originally posted by mik
<br />Suctioning seldom provides any measurable advantages, however.

I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing.

mick

My Dad is of the opinion that the only non-poisonous is a dead one. He wouldn't even hold one of my Rattlesnake pens.....lol. I remember once when I was a kid a Chicken Snake somehow got in our house ....he was gonna shoot it! Those plans changed when my mother of all people ran it out with a broom. I guess she was less scared of the snake than of ruining her new floor...lol

Randy_

Originally posted by rtjw<br />I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing. I will say nothing.

Johnny: Do I undertsand you correctly??? You have nothing to say??[:D][:D][:D]

coach

We have rattle snakes pretty thick here in South Texas. Water moccasins are just as thick. I hate when you are in the river and see one. Rattle snakes can also swim very well. They sit on top of the water. I saw one in my boat in the very middle of a lake. We also have a problem with copper heads and corral snakes in this area. Red and Yellow Kills a Fellow! Red and Black, friend of Jack!

rtparso

Johnny that is realy cold. I have handled snakes all of my life. You have to know what you are doing. If not the the pics in Riflemans post.

Johnny, are you trying to convert this snake and ponting him to heaven? If you are then 2 things, 1 - you are pointing in the wrong direction, sned him to the other place [}:)] (finally found a time to use the devil head) and 2- you cannot baptize that snake at my church [:D] But you can let him join all the others in the box under the platform [;)]

wayneis

As long as you are getting them while they are alive you should have them swollow the tubes before you off them. Then you just cut them up dry them up and coat them with resin. Voila snake skin resin blanks.

Wayne

alamocdc

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Without comment.

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm
Nice gross out, Frank, but very odd. Pit viper bites don't usually cause necrosis (tissue death). The venom is a neuro toxin (acts on the nervous system). However, bites from any organism can, and often are, accompanied by infection which can cause necrosis. This is what I suspect caused the bulk of the damage to this young man's arm. A Red Wasp stung me a few years ago and the ensuing infection nearly put me in the hospital. Sorry, folks, once a Biology teacher, always a Biology teacher. [:D]

Darley

Johnny this is very interesting and I wouldn't try it, you say that few poeple died from bite, here in OZ land we got venemous snake too but we got some thing smaller ........... a " ANT " called " Jumping Jack ( Jack Jumper )" no kidding I'm not talking about "Whoopy", read those links, you never be carefull

http://www.allergy.org.au/aer/infobulletins/jumper_ant.htm

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/175_12_171201/brown/brown.html

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2005/s1305089.htm

M

Mudder

Serge,

If I recall correctly, you guys have a really nasty spider down there that has killed a lot of folks. Many years ago I was in Oz and the people I was staying with had one in the yard. The guy stirred it up a bit with a stick and it rolled back and exposed these rather large fangs. &lt;edit&gt; I think it might be the funnel web spider.

I can also remember fishing with my younger brother in a lake in Arkansas up by Ft. Smith and we had a water moccasin come off of the log he was sunning on and come over to say "hi". I was really surprised that the snake was so aggressive. I'm used to the ones that would rather not be seen.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />I can also remember fishing with my younger brother in a lake in Arkansas up by Ft. Smith and we had a water moccasin come off of the log he was sunning on and come over to say "hi". I was really surprised that the snake was so aggressive. I'm used to the ones that would rather not be seen.

You got that right, Mudder! I grew up with Rattlers and they've never really bothered me. But my first experiences with Cotton Mouth (water moccasin) came as a grad student in Alabama. Those suckers are MEAN! And VERY aggressive. They will come across a body of water at you, or even drop out of trees into your boat. The latter has a tendency to cause quite a stir. [:D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />Serge,

If I recall correctly, you guys have a really nasty spider down there that has killed a lot of folks. Many years ago I was in Oz and the people I was staying with had one in the yard. The guy stirred it up a bit with a stick and it rolled back and exposed these rather large fangs. &lt;edit&gt; I think it might be the funnel web spider.

I can also remember fishing with my younger brother in a lake in Arkansas up by Ft. Smith and we had a water moccasin come off of the log he was sunning on and come over to say "hi". I was really surprised that the snake was so aggressive. I'm used to the ones that would rather not be seen.

In the Ozarks we have few rattlesnakes but copperheads are common. Fortunately, they are not aggressive. Our waters, rivers and lakes, are cold and avoided by water moccasins. However, the southern part of the state has it all. The bad spider we are cautious of is the Brown Recluse, very tiny and very dangerous. I keep cedar sticks in my slip-on shoes in the shop to try to dissuade them. As for the rattlesnake pictures I posted. Those are similar to the ones I actually was searching for. Meaning, he is not alone in such an unfortunate experience. For expert advice, I can ask my son, an emergency room physician, who has seen it all. But I know enough to stay away from them when possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom