Hut Crystal Coat Disposal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GDGeorge

So... I've got this bottle of Hut Crystal Coat that's several year old. I've not used much of it because it tended to be sticky even after buffing. Anyway, I switched to EEE and ShellaWax and need to get rid of old stuff. Any ideas for proper disposal? Leave it sit outside open to let the volatiles evaperate and pitch the wax? (Save the wax?)

Thanks,
Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

Crytal coat is a shellac based friction finish. Basically it is alcohol, wax, and shellac, some type of oil. Pour it out into a paper plate and let the alcohol evaporate and toss the leftover in the trash.

As per the MSDS: After application and curing, the remaining finish will have no hazardous components or characteristics.

Last edited:

its_virgil

Friction polishes do have an expiration...at least crystal coat has an expiration date printed on the label. Although they are "dry" when applied correctly the shellac takes a day or two to completely harden. Pens finished with friction polishes should not be assembled until the shellac has had time to totally harden...a couple of days. Buffing should also be done a few days after the friction polish is applied...not the same day. Building up several light coats is better than one heavy application. Apply the finish and leave the pen barrels on the mandrel or on a dowel to dry and harden for a couple of days. Buff and assemble.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

GDGeorge

Thanks folks! Didn't think to look at the MSDS.

Don, I haven't had the same problem with the Shellawax. I can apply it and assembly the pen pretty much immediately. I recently tried the expired Crystal Coat using the same technique as the Shellawax and still had the same problem. Not sure why.

Cheers,

ABzar

Does anybody use the Super Carver? Any problems to watch out for. I would like to buy one, mainly to engrave my pens.

its_virgil

You posted to a 4 year old unrelated thread. Repost your question in casual conversation...start a new thread.

I have not used the Super Carver so I can't offer any help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Does anybody use the Super Carver? Any problems to watch out for. I would like to buy one, mainly to engrave my pens.

Top Bottom