Hurricane Harvey Update

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sataro

Glad to hear that some of you stayed safe & flood waters caused you minimum damage. Prayers sent out to the ones that suffered and are going through this disaster...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just a bump for any updates. Many IAP members are affected, and many, many others also - Been through a 4' flood in my business a few yrs ago, so I am concerned.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm high & dry now - all the water in our yard drained out overnight & our ditch is almost empty. I'm going to send a pen to my county commissioner - the ditches worked wonderfully & his crews mowed all our ditches 2 days before the storm.

My daughter lives in the Cinco Ranch area (not the part in the reservoir inflow area) and had no problems. One of her good friends lives near Buffalo Bayou in the Spring Branch area. She did not have any flooding from the storm itself, but her house is now getting flooded from the reservoir releases. It's a sad situation, but the reservoirs are dangerously full and the Corps of Engineers has little choice but to release some water with certain flooding to some in order to avoid a catastrophic dam failure.

thawkins87

I grew up in Spring and still have several family friends there who have experienced substantial flood damage... Sounds like a large portion of my old neighborhood was under water. Thoughts and prayers for everyone trying to put the pieces back together...

Dehn0045

The support that we have received from our fellow Americans has been unbelievable. Texas is proud and strong, but the support from outside of the state that has come pouring in has made things so much better. I was working at a friends house yesterday who got a few inches in his house, enough to do plenty of damage. His mother stopped by on her way home from working at the hospital since last Friday. She told her son while looking at the damage to his house "this is only money, we have everything that's important, a lot of people died, a lot of people." Harvey has been a harsh reminder about what is important.

Cmiles1985

Well, we certainly did not see the flooding that Houston did. My rain gauge only showed 0.87", but I'm pretty sure that most rain blew right past as the peak gust was measured at 174 mph. Our home was pretty badly damaged as our roof took a pretty major hit from the carport passing by. We have ceiling water damage in every room. On a happy note, all of my animals (except the fish in one of my ponds) survived. It was very hard to leave them behind (not the fish, but the pig, all of our cats, three turkeys and thirty something ducks), but it was a case of "us or them." My shop survived very well structurally. A hole that had been previously covered and sealed blew out, and everything inside of my 1200 s.f. shop got rained on...from a hole that's about 6" in diameter. We shall see what insurance has to say as the adjuster finally made it over on Wednesday. I'm glad to hear that everybody here was safe! Here's a few pictures for your enjoyment:

1_DPP_0227.JPG

1_DPP_0131.JPG

1_DPP_0144.JPG

1_DPP_0139.JPG

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Another Harvey Uodate

While we did not have any flooding or damage at our home in Alvin, our pecan farm in Columbus took quite a hit.

The Columbus area got over 20" of rain causing the Colorado River to flood. It crested at 50.2 feet, just shy of the record of 51.6 feet set in 1913. Many homes & businesses in and around Columbus were flooded.

Our pecan orchard is on rolling trerrain & water was anywhere from 4' to 12' deep through the entire orchard. We have a mobile home, travel trailer & tractor shed about 100 yards from the river & about 15' above the river flood stage. Water was 4' deep in that area. The TT & mobile home both had 14" of water inside them. Water was nearly up to the seats of both of my tractors. Everything in the tractor shed was tossed around or washed off to other parts of our property. Our fence line stopped most of it from totally washing away.

We are fortunate that this is not our primary residence & just a sideline business. For us, it's just a minor inconvenience and an unexpected expense. Many others have lost so much more.

Attachments

• IMG_9603.jpg
    IMG_9603.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom