Hurricane Harvey Update

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I just heard from my brother in Weesatche (abt 20 mi NW of Victoria). The storm was down to a Cat 1 when it passed over his home. His power is out & his barn doors were blown off, but he is fine & no major damage to anything.

Our travel trailer, cabin & barn at our farm in Meyersville are all ok too. Meyersville is abt 30 mi N of Victoria & the Eastern eye wall passed very near at Cat 1 strength.

Lots of power outages, limbs & trees down, but most friends & relatives in the greater Victoria area are only reporting minor damage (fences down, some small structures down, & some blown-in water).

The coastal areas where the storm hit at Cat 4 strength were hit very hard. Several relatives & friends have beach homes in that area, some totally destroyed.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm glad to hear your brother is okay. I have a brother and a sister-in-law both of whom live in Aransas Pass. They both evacuated for the storm so they are okay also, but we are waiting to hear if they have houses left to go home to.

Glad to hear they are ok - here's hoping they didn't have too much damage to their homes.

Pen Zen

I'm glad to hear your brother is okay. I have a brother and a sister-in-law both of whom live in Aransas Pass. They both evacuated for the storm so they are okay also, but we are waiting to hear if they have houses left to go home to.

Glad to hear they are ok - here's hoping they didn't have too much damage to their homes.

Thank you. I just received word that the damage was minimal.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Thank you. I just received word that the damage was minimal.

Great to hear!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edgar, how is the water where you are? Hope all is well as the rivers and bayous rise. Stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

No problems so far. We had 6.8" of rain up until about 6 am today & we've had a good respite until just half an hour ago. No rain & gentle breezes all day - all of the rain bands coming through this area passed us by on one side or the other.

We are getting a good rain now though with lots of thunder & lightning with this current rain band.

Mustang Bayou crosses our road about a half mile from our home - it's nearly full but not yet overflowing. It brings drainage from Missouri City & Pearland down through Alvin.

By the way, Dan - my daughter & her fiancé now live out near you. They just bought a home in Cinco Ranch and moved in last weekend.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
My weather station is on the fence that blew down last night so I don't have an accurate rain fall measurement. I do have a small glass rain gauge farther down on the fence. It showed about 5-3/4" this morning. I just emptied it again after this past round and it had about 4-3/4". Funny thing is they just regraded the ditch on one side of my property and redirected the flow and now I had more water in the ditches than I've ever seen before in my 36 years I've lived here.

magpens

My thoughts have been with our Texas and Louisiana members and I have been following the news .

I hope all are safe and not suffering too much loss .

Thanks for starting this thread, Edgar .

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My weather station is on the fence that blew down last night so I don't have an accurate rain fall measurement. I do have a small glass rain gauge farther down on the fence. It showed about 5-3/4" this morning. I just emptied it again after this past round and it had about 4-3/4". Funny thing is they just regraded the ditch on one side of my property and redirected the flow and now I had more water in the ditches than I've ever seen before in my 36 years I've lived here.

We got 4.8" in 90 min with this last go-round. I was having a hard time believing it, but our ditch was completely full, then I saw on Ch 2 that Alvin was having a 3.2" per hour rate. Friendswood to South Houston is getting a 5" per hour rate - that's crazy!

Good Morning Edgar,
Hope this finds you still safe and dry... I have a friend that I used to work with who lives in Alvin... glad to hear the area is not too bad. Looks like Harvey will be even worse than Allison and she flooded downtown Houston.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Just got my weather station relocated to another post at about 9AM just as another round of rain started. Shows 0.37" already.

sbwertz

Just found out that my cousin in Houston is still high and dry, but no electricity. Says his neighborhood is an island at this point.

Dehn0045

I am in League City. We have gotten a total of 31" since about 5pm Friday based on a nearby weather station. We were getting 4 to 5 inches per hour for about 3 hours last night, it was unbelievable. We are in the 500+ year flood plain and had water about a foot from entering the house. The 100 year flood plains nearby already have 2 to 4 ft at least. It was truly an epic storm. We ended up with some minor water damage where water got up under the flashing on the roof, but nothing even close to others. With the wind and storm surge down by Port Aransas, the number of tornados, and now flooding, this is no doubt a catastrophic event. My thoughts and prayers are with those who are seriously effected.

Attachments

• C9CBEA6A-47FF-4A0C-BD90-B9BCF5794E6D.jpg
    C9CBEA6A-47FF-4A0C-BD90-B9BCF5794E6D.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 222A3BB9-5612-415E-9C33-680E16B5D703.jpg
    222A3BB9-5612-415E-9C33-680E16B5D703.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 132

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I am in League City. We have gotten a total of 31" since about 5pm Friday based on a nearby weather station. We were getting 4 to 5 inches per hour for about 3 hours last night, it was unbelievable. We are in the 500+ year flood plain and had water about a foot from entering the house. The 100 year flood plains nearby already have 2 to 4 ft at least. It was truly an epic storm. We ended up with some minor water damage where water got up under the flashing on the roof, but nothing even close to others. With the wind and storm surge down by Port Aransas, the number of tornados, and now flooding, this is no doubt a catastrophic event. My thoughts and prayers are with those who are seriously effected.

Stay safe, Sam. We are also in a 500 year zone, but we got 19" of water in our home from TS Claudette in 1979. I hope that was it for another 462 years. :rolleyes:

So far we are at 17.4" and our ditch is keeping up with the rain.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Good Morning Edgar,
Hope this finds you still safe and dry... I have a friend that I used to work with who lives in Alvin... glad to hear the area is not too bad. Looks like Harvey will be even worse than Allison and she flooded downtown Houston.

There is a little flooding in some parts of Alvin, but not too bad yet. We are on the NW side of town and have 17.4" over 3 days so far. S, SE and E side of town has gotten at least 7" more than we have & those are the areas with some issues.

Most of the heavy rain bands have skirted Alvin so far. Band after band has gone between Alvin & Galveston, right up through Friendswood, Dickinson & League City & straight up the Gulf Fwy (I45) into Houston. Mostly we are just catching the western edge of those bands, but we have also gotten a few direct hits.

Good Morning Edgar,

There is a little flooding in some parts of Alvin, but not too bad yet. We are on the NW side of town and have 17.4" over 3 days so far. S, SE and E side of town has gotten at least 7" more than we have & those are the areas with some issues.

Most of the heavy rain bands have skirted Alvin so far. Band after band has gone between Alvin & Galveston, right up through Friendswood, Dickinson & League City & straight up the Gulf Fwy (I45) into Houston. Mostly we are just catching the western edge of those bands, but we have also gotten a few direct hits.

I heard from my friend, she and husband are ok... no serious flooding for them either. Also got hold of most of my cousins in the area... one is in Humble area with her mother, they live a couple of blocks from where I lived when I was in Humble... we had water about a foot from the garage door from Allison... don't know what Harvey is doing to the street... Another cousin lives over on west side of Houston, forget the sub division, but it used to flood even in lighter rains... can't get hold of her, but maybe my cousin in Humble has a contact. My cousin in Humble's sister lives in south Houston or Pasadena, last I heard, but Gail said she was ok and not under any duress. My sister in law lives in Conroe and is high and dry as is her son in the Woodlands. My SIL's step-son is in your area, but likely he went to his brother's house in Dallas. At least I hope so... he's a trucker and might well be on the road well away from the storm, but his wife would be home, so here's hoping they did go north... my wife is in contact with her sister and nothing has been said about the stepson and daughter in law.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Good Morning Edgar,

I heard from my friend, she and husband are ok... no serious flooding for them either. Also got hold of most of my cousins in the area... one is in Humble area with her mother, they live a couple of blocks from where I lived when I was in Humble... we had water about a foot from the garage door from Allison... don't know what Harvey is doing to the street... Another cousin lives over on west side of Houston, forget the sub division, but it used to flood even in lighter rains... can't get hold of her, but maybe my cousin in Humble has a contact. My cousin in Humble's sister lives in south Houston or Pasadena, last I heard, but Gail said she was ok and not under any duress. My sister in law lives in Conroe and is high and dry as is her son in the Woodlands. My SIL's step-son is in your area, but likely he went to his brother's house in Dallas. At least I hope so... he's a trucker and might well be on the road well away from the storm, but his wife would be home, so here's hoping they did go north... my wife is in contact with her sister and nothing has been said about the stepson and daughter in law.

Here's hoping they are all ok. We will keep them in our prayers.

magpens

Does anyone know how things are in Cypress, a suburb of Houston north west of the main city ?

I have good friends there but I expect they have gone to their daughter's place in Austin. . Can't contact them in either place.

Monty must be in the "thick of it" at Pearland.

Last edited:

More4dan

Does anyone know how things are in Cypress, a suburb of Houston north west of the main city ?

I have good friends there but I expect they have gone to their daughter's place in Austin. . Can't contact them in either place.

I do have friends in Pearland that had water at their door this morning but less risk tonight. Hopefully your friends are safe.

Cmiles1985

Best wishes to all affected. I apparently still have a house. I've been told my carport is gone and my boat barn collapsed. That's fine. Our town's transformers are shot, and electricity outage is expected to be greater than three weeks. Our water tower collapsed, so city water supply is suspended until electric pumps can be operated. The important thing is that my family is safe. We will be heading "home" to assess damages tomorrow.

CREID

Best wishes to all affected. I apparently still have a house. I've been told my carport is gone and my boat barn collapsed. That's fine. Our town's transformers are shot, and electricity outage is expected to be greater than three weeks. Our water tower collapsed, so city water supply is suspended until electric pumps can be operated. The important thing is that my family is safe. We will be heading "home" to assess damages tomorrow.

Glad your safe. Take care.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Safe travels, Clark.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Cypress got heavy rain today, but I don't think there is much flooding in that area. There have been several tornadoes in Cypress, but damage has been relatively light. Several houses have lost parts of their roofs & only one house that I know of has had heavy damage

There have been quite a few tornadoes in the Houston area, but they have been small & very localized.

Saw some pictures on the web this morning of the Forest Cove and Kingwood area... if they let water out of Lake Conroe and Livingston, then Lake Houston will flood also and the north side of Houston will get some water. Years back my wife and I looked at a house on Hamblen Road in Forest Cove... the flood of '95 inundated that house and they wound up taking all the houses along there down... picture I saw this morning showed the same road under water.
I lived in two different subdivisions of Atascocita along Lake Houston and over in Huffman about 1/2 mile off the lake... Atascocita doesn't flood so much but Huffman was under water in '95...
Allison put a foot of water in my front yard in Atascocita Forest which is about a mile off Hwy 59 in Humble.

MRDucks2

My daughter lives near the Vintage area across 249 from Cypress. The streets and low areas are flooding but the creeks are mostly managing the water through last night. Update at 12:44am central was that they were getting hammered pretty hard with rain again and no updates since then. North in the area from Magnolia to Conroe (area I used to live) things are pretty good with 30 minute breaks between rains allowing drainage to keep up so far.

MRDucks2

On phone now with Conroe, 7 inches of rain last night between Conroe and Lake Houston. Lake Conroe releasing water to the San Jacinto contributing to downstream flooding as rain through there increases.

HeartofaPen

Just wanted to provide an update for where I am at. I am located in Hockley TX. just NW of Houston and only a few mile past Cypress. We have had a lot of rain, if my gauge had not quit working I would estimate it would have said we have had between 20"-30" of rain. Fortunately I live on a 5 acre lot with some low ground in the back part. Watching the news this morning though, in north Harris county, where Houston is located, the are doing boat rescues in the Ponderosa Forest sub division. Please pray for everyone in the Harris County and surrounding area because damage is very extensive all over.

I am attaching a couple pictures of my lot and shop just to show how much we have had. If not for being so open, we would have been in just as bad of shape as those in the sub divisions. The old portable school house is my shop. Water under it but not in it and fortunately, none of the leaks in the roof caused any damage inside.

Attachments

• WP_20170827_11_43_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170827_11_43_32_Pro.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 137
  • WP_20170827_11_43_34_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170827_11_43_34_Pro.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 127
  • WP_20170827_11_46_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170827_11_46_22_Pro.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 135

Dehn0045

It's really unfortunate that the weather reporters spent so much time hyping the conditions Friday afternoon when it was still rather mild. That's not to say they shouldn't have reported about what was coming. But watching a guy standing in a run-of-the-mill rain shower, or making a big deal about 3 inches of "storm surge", actually made me laugh out loud. I think people saw this as the media trying to make ratings, leading people to ignore many of the warnings. For those of you that are outside the area, this is NOT media hype anymore. The reporters can't even show a fraction of the actual extent of the damages.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The storm has moved out of the Houston area - devastation is unimaginable. Some downstream flooding will continue for up to a week as swollen rivers & bayous slowly drain to the gulf.

We had a total of 35.1" at my house & could not have stood one drop more. At the worst point, water was lapping at our foundation but never entered the house. We were extremely fortunate this time.

More4dan

Great news Edgar that you kept dry. We had just over 38" of rain in Katy. We have also been spared this time. The Reservoirs have breached their levees and flooding continues in our communities. There's a lot a work ahead. Prayers for those suffering an enormous loss and for all those sacrificing to help. This is who we really are as a people and a nation.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Dan and Ed, Glad to here you made it through OK.
I probably had about the same amount of rain as Ed. Don't know for sure as my weather station was on the fence that was blown over. That was the only damage I had.

Top Bottom