Humidifier not working! Have questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
This house has a Trane Heat Pump with an AprilAire 700 humidifier attached to it. I discovered it wasn't even plugged into an outlet. In fact, the power cord doesn't have a plug on the end and, is coiled up and, wire tied. Everything else is hooked up. I took the reservoir off and cleaned the lime scale off. Got new filters. The water supply line doesn't flow so, I figure THAT line is clogged.

What puzzles me most is, the power cord coiled up. Could it be, they have bypassed the humidifier fan? And just using the furnace fan?

Any help appreciated! :wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JP61

HVAC guys on here will be more help to you.

I'm guessing there's no plug because at one time it was wired directly into the furnace fan circuit? Meaning the humidifier would only get power when the furnace fan would come on. Water line feeding the humidifier, there's probably a solenoid valve somewhere and without it getting energized you're not going to get any water. The water line is probably not clogged. Again, just guessing, there's probably something wrong with the humidifier that never got repaired and is the reason why the power cord is coiled up. Fuse? Circuit board? Transformer? Humidifier fan motor itself? Solenoid valve?

Last edited:

stonepecker

Sounds like you need a heating/cooling repairman.
OR
A DYI book for repairs.

Needless to say........I would call the repairman and let them have a good christmas also. Hey, they need to make a living also.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
HVAC guys on here will be more help to you.

I'm guessing there's no plug because at one time it was wired directly into the furnace fan circuit? Meaning the humidifier would only get power when the furnace fan would come on. Water line feeding the humidifier, there's probably a solenoid valve somewhere and without it getting energized you're not going to get any water. The water line is probably not clogged. Again, just guessing, there's probably something wrong with the humidifier that never got repaired and is the reason why the power cord is coiled up. That something is not allowing the humidifier fan to operate? Fuse? Circuit board? Transformer? Humidifier fan motor itself?
Thanks JP I think you're real close if not, exact. I watched some youtube videos and, one of them was changing the solenoid.

Sounds like you need a heating/cooling repairman.
OR
A DYI book for repairs.

Needless to say........I would call the repairman and let them have a good christmas also. Hey, they need to make a living also.
Scheduling is my problem. I would want to be here when a repairman shows up.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck, I just went through this. The humidifier has to be wired to the circuit board and the thermostat/humidistat. When the blower comes on the solenoid opens and allows water to flow to the element. Ours uses a duct work bypass to deliver the moistened air to the main duct channels. It was more than I could do, or want to, so I called a fellow pen maker who is a retired HVAC guy. We got it worked out but remember that there is a 5-10 minute delay from the blower coming on until the solenoid opens. The coiled wire is most likely a low voltage, our Trane has a board in it that all wires go to. PM me if the issue isn't resolved soon and I'll ask my buddy if he is willing to get at it.
WB/Bill

Last edited:

ofd8001

I thought a humidifier was what you got when you burned a "humidi". It's an old firefighter bit of humor. :biggrin:

The following links might be helpful. One is to the manufacturer' site which show the manuals and hopefully they will have troubleshooting ideas in the manual.

Also there is a link to a Youtube showing how someone did an installation.

Aprilaire Model 700 Humidifier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-mTEkEZNaE

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck, I just went through this. The humidifier has to be wired to the circuit board and the thermostat/humidistat. When the blower comes on the solenoid opens and allows water to flow to the element. Ours uses a duct work bypass to deliver the moistened air to the main duct channels. It was more than I could do, or want to, so I called a fellow pen maker who is a retired HVAC guy. We got it worked out but remember that there is a 5-10 minute delay from the blower coming on until the solenoid opens. The coiled wire is most likely a low voltage, our Trane has a board in it that all wires go to. PM me if the issue isn't resolved soon and I'll ask my buddy if he is willing to get at it.
WB/Bill
Thanks Bill. Good info here. I'll let you know.

I thought a humidifier was what you got when you burned a "humidi". It's an old firefighter bit of humor. :biggrin:

The following links might be helpful. One is to the manufacturer' site which show the manuals and hopefully they will have troubleshooting ideas in the manual.

Also there is a link to a Youtube showing how someone did an installation.

Aprilaire Model 700 Humidifier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-mTEkEZNaE
Thanks Rich. The video is one that I watched. He didn't help me. The parts list did however. $82.00 for the solenoid. :redface: Thanks!

Top Bottom